Thread: DNR more power then MSP

Banned

Post imported post

A little birdie recently whispered in my ear and stated the DNR officers have more "Power"? then the Michigan state police? Comments?

Post imported post

they do because they can come onto private property to enforce laws.

Banned

Post imported post

With or without reasonable cause?

Post imported post

DNR Officers can traverse your private property as long as he or she in in the course of his or her duties (tracking game or hunters), from what I understand.

Post imported post

It's been well known for YEARS that the swamp nazi's have more power than the MSP. They think God should bow to them.
    Rand Paul 2016

Banned

Post imported post

Well I have one DNR officer that borders on stalking me up north. I have received multiple tickets in recent years. So this year I really want to be educated when we have ourfirst contact of the year which as this point is inevitable.

Post imported post

Actually they have NO more power than the MSP. And they are only allowed to traverse private property if they observe a crime in progress. Otherwise they need a warrant just like any other LEO.
    Anything I post may be my opinion and not the law... you are responsible to do your own verification.

Blackstone (1753-1765) maintains that "the law holds that it is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."

Post imported post

If A DNR officer comes on your property you can tell him to beat it if he has no cause. No different than a MSP. A MSP can do the same as the DNR. DNR just focuses more on game laws.

They are equal.

Post imported post

They have a different scope of Authority

But the Constitution does not say Shall not infringe except for DNR, and the 4th & 5th Amend, does not say except DNR

Post imported post

hmm, i remember seeing signs with a statute on them dealing with anyone other than county sheriffs(deputies) serving warrants/coming on property. have to try to find it. 90 days, $5k fine or something like that. don't quote me or spread it as gospel, anyone else seen these?

Banned

Post imported post

I got a ticket last year over a snapping turtle. My kids had caught a snapping turtle earlier in the day.I was out in a row boat fishing and was rowing to shore to my property which is lake frontage. The DNR drove on my property and asked for my fishing license. I provided it to him. He then asked whats in the bucket. He removed a lid we had place on the bucket and saw the snapping turtle and wrote me a ticket for some violation I can't remember the exact term used. I paid the $45 ticket. The coolest was the damn turtle almost took off his finger.

This is the same DNR officer that has wrote me 6 tickets in the past 3 years. Some for good reason some for crap like this. This is one of the bad ones.

I am wondering if I can and should file a complaint. We know him on a first name basis. Mind you this is just me, my dad , brother and other family members have also recieved several tickets for less then stellar activities.

Post imported post

SpringerXDacp wrote:
    DNR Officers can traverse your private property as long as he or she in in the course of his or her duties (tracking game or hunters), from what I understand.
    Must be Fish or Game related = Violations = Warrant-less if PC

Post imported post

Generally, a search warrant is not needed unless cartilage is involved.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curtilage

Law Enforcement Officers including Conservation Officers can access private property under several legal exceptions including:

Open Fields Doctrine:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_fields_doctrine

Exigent Circumstances and Plain View:
    http://webpages.charter.net/caselaw4...eptions.htm#s5

324.1501 Conservation officers as peace officers; powers, privileges, prerogatives, and immunities.
    Sec. 1501.
    Conservation officers appointed by the department and trained and certified pursuant to the Michigan law enforcement officers training council act of 1965, Act No. 203 of the Public Acts of 1965, being sections 28.601 to 28.616 of the Michigan Compiled Laws, are peace officers, and except as otherwise provided by law, are vested with all the powers, privileges, prerogatives, and immunities conferred upon peace officers as provided in this act, in Act No. 109 of the Public Acts of 1986, being sections 300.21 to 300.22 of the Michigan Compiled Laws, and in the general laws of this state.

Post imported post

Sounds like you need to lock the gate on your driveway.

Banned

Post imported post

Ahhhh the gate ya. The gate was locked theywent around the gate to gain access. They actually drove across a neighbors parcel to get to me. We actually have two gates. Last year we planted tree's in the area they gained access to prevent this. We also put up1/2 inchsteel cable to act a as fence. Drove several fence post in the ground. I think next will be a 6ft privacy fence.