Thread: No carry at Dick's Sporting Goods at University

Post imported post

I was carrying at Dick's Sporting Goods at University tonight. I was in "The Lodge" and there was an employee behind the gun counter. While I was looking around, another employee, who I think was a manager, came back and asked if there was someone with a firearm. I affirmed that I was and she informed me that I was required to check my firearm with customer service and that I could not carry. I asked what she meant by check and she never clarified what she meant. I told her that I thought Dick's policy was to follow state law. She said that company policy was to check firearms and that it was posted outside. The other employee chimed in and said that is was just like a bank and I couldn't carry. I went ahead and bought the ammo I wanted and left. When I got outside, I looked for the supposed sign and in the far corner there was a sign stating that if you were bringing a firearm or bow in for service to see customer service but nothing about carry.

I'm about to send an email to corporate and ask them about this policy.

Edit. Here's the email I sent.

I was at your University store in Charlotte, NC tonight and I was openly carrying a handgun in accordance with NC state law. I was approached by an employee, who I believe was a manager, and she informed me that I could not carry my handgun. I told her that I was under the impression that Dick's policy was to follow state law. She replied that the policy was to check all firearms and that it was posted outside. Upon leaving the store, I looked around and in one of the windows, there was a sign informing customers who were bringing firearms/bows in for service to see customer service. There was nothing regarding the carry of firearms. Please confirm your company's policy on the lawful carrying of firearms in your stores. Thank you for your time and I look forward to your response.
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. John 3:16

God's Plan of Salvation

Post imported post

Those employees at Dicks were incorrect. The sign is just there to guide people to the customer service desk when bringing a firearm in for SERVICE at their gunsmith shop.

I have OCed at Dicks in VA (Richmond area and Fairfax), PA (Washington) and NC (Raleigh) and never had an issue. It is Dick's policy to follow state and federal laws, and I think someone has already posted a letter from Dicks Corporate that verifies that...

It is our cause to dispel the foggy thinking which avoids hard decisions in the delusion that a world of conflict will somehow mysteriously resolve itself into a world of harmony, if we just don't rock the boat or irritate the forces of aggression—and this is hogwash."
    --Barry Goldwater, 1964

Post imported post

I have OCed at Dicks in Cary (crossroads) and in charlotte (southpark) with no problems in the past.

Moderator / Administrator

Post imported post

see http://www.examiner.com/x-5619-Atlan...ights-Examiner- please follow up with the manager at this location and get this cleared up and report back, thanks

Post imported post

They were wrong. It is correct that the sign is only for those that need servicing.Gander Mountain has a sign like that. I have open carried in there many times. GM sign also says it does not pertain to ccw holders.

Post imported post

I've OC'd in Dick's many times. Only time I had a problem was when the guy selling me ammo said he needed to carry the ammo to the front for me since I had a firearm with me. You have to wonder sometimes if people make up these ridiculous policies on the spot.

Post imported post

Here's the response I got back.

Hello Adam,

Thank you for contacting Dick's Sporting Goods Customer Service.

There is no company policy regarding carrying a firearm in our stores.
    We apologize for any inconveniences this may have caused. We appreciate
    your feedback, as it has been forwarded on to the appropriate management
    to address.

We truly appreciate your time and value your feedback.

Best Regards,

Sarah
    Customer Service
    Dick's Sporting Goods

Looks like everything's good to go.

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. John 3:16

God's Plan of Salvation

Post imported post

YAY!!!

Good for you for moving this issue up the chain with Dicks. hopefully the manager who asked you to leave has been properly educated by corporate, and will let law-abiding citizens carry in that store in the future, as is allowed under NC law...

Good on ya!
    It is our cause to dispel the foggy thinking which avoids hard decisions in the delusion that a world of conflict will somehow mysteriously resolve itself into a world of harmony, if we just don't rock the boat or irritate the forces of aggression—and this is hogwash."
    --Barry Goldwater, 1964

Post imported post

I've open carried in the Dicks in Concord, but my jacket was covering most of my weapon. No issues so far.

Thanks for getting their upper management to clear things up.