• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

No carry at Dick's Sporting Goods at University

Adam H

imported post

I was carrying at Dick's Sporting Goods at University tonight. I was in "The Lodge" and there was an employee behind the gun counter. While I was looking around, another employee, who I think was a manager, came back and asked if there was someone with a firearm. I affirmed that I was and she informed me that I was required to check my firearm with customer service and that I could not carry. I asked what she meant by check and she never clarified what she meant. I told her that I thought Dick's policy was to follow state law. She said that company policy was to check firearms and that it was posted outside. The other employee chimed in and said that is was just like a bank and I couldn't carry. I went ahead and bought the ammo I wanted and left. When I got outside, I looked for the supposed sign and in the far corner there was a sign stating that if you were bringing a firearm or bow in for service to see customer service but nothing about carry.

I'm about to send an email to corporate and ask them about this policy.

Edit. Here's the email I sent.

I was at your University store in Charlotte, NC tonight and I was openly carrying a handgun in accordance with NC state law. I was approached by an employee, who I believe was a manager, and she informed me that I could not carry my handgun. I told her that I was under the impression that Dick's policy was to follow state law. She replied that the policy was to check all firearms and that it was posted outside. Upon leaving the store, I looked around and in one of the windows, there was a sign informing customers who were bringing firearms/bows in for service to see customer service. There was nothing regarding the carry of firearms. Please confirm your company's policy on the lawful carrying of firearms in your stores. Thank you for your time and I look forward to your response.

Dreamer

imported post

Those employees at Dicks were incorrect. The sign is just there to guide people to the customer service desk when bringing a firearm in for SERVICE at their gunsmith shop.

I have OCed at Dicks in VA (Richmond area and Fairfax), PA (Washington) and NC (Raleigh) and never had an issue. It is Dick's policy to follow state and federal laws, and I think someone has already posted a letter from Dicks Corporate that verifies that...

nobama

imported post

They were wrong. It is correct that the sign is only for those that need servicing.Gander Mountain has a sign like that. I have open carried in there many times. GM sign also says it does not pertain to ccw holders.

glockaholic

imported post

I've OC'd in Dick's many times. Only time I had a problem was when the guy selling me ammo said he needed to carry the ammo to the front for me since I had a firearm with me. You have to wonder sometimes if people make up these ridiculous policies on the spot.

Adam H

imported post

Here's the response I got back.

Hello Adam,

Thank you for contacting Dick's Sporting Goods Customer Service.

There is no company policy regarding carrying a firearm in our stores.
We apologize for any inconveniences this may have caused. We appreciate
your feedback, as it has been forwarded on to the appropriate management
to address.

We truly appreciate your time and value your feedback.

Best Regards,

Sarah
Customer Service
Dick's Sporting Goods

Looks like everything's good to go.

Dreamer

imported post

YAY!!!

Good for you for moving this issue up the chain with Dicks. hopefully the manager who asked you to leave has been properly educated by corporate, and will let law-abiding citizens carry in that store in the future, as is allowed under NC law...

Good on ya!

TheFreeman

imported post

I've open carried in the Dicks in Concord, but my jacket was covering most of my weapon. No issues so far.

Thanks for getting their upper management to clear things up.