• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Lynchburg businesses that don't want our business

kenny

imported post

http://www.wset.com/news/stories/0210/705413.html

Restaurants Oppose Allowing Guns Inside

Lynchburg, VA - Virginia lawmakers have taken the first step to allow concealed weapons in restaurants that serve alcohol. Similar measures have been struck down in the past, but this year it has Governor Bob McDonnell's support.

A Senate committee narrowly passed the bill this week. Local restaurant owners are hoping this one eventually fails too.

Lynchburg's Outlanders Saloon already has the rule posted by the front door: no knives, guns or weapons allowed.

"My husband and I both believe in gun rights, just not in a drinking setting," Outlanders Co-owner Michelle Cartrett said.

Outlanders currently uses metal detectors to enforce the law, and they plan to keep them in use, even if the law changes.

"It's one thing if they start arguing and we can break it up and get it out of the building. It's another thing if somebody pulls a gun," Outlanders Co-owner Tim Cartrett said.

Michelle Cartrett says the proposed law doesn't make sense. Why would the General Assembly allow guns in bars while outlawing cigarettes?

"Smoking isn't going to kill another person in an instant, a bullet is," Michelle Cartrett said.

Employees at the restaurant even have a message for our area legislators.

"Do you feel safe going into an establishment knowing that somebody has a right carry a gun and drinking alcohol? Would you want to take your family to a place like that? I know I wouldn't want to," Outlanders Bouncer Edward Marsh said.

"If the legislation is stupid enough to pass this law, there is going to be a lot of deaths in the state of Virginia," Tim Cartrett said.

"They're not going to be in my establishment, no matter what their decision is," Michelle Cartrett said.

We spoke with managers at five area bars, including Cattle Annies and Big Licks, and they all say they're opposed to allowing guns in their business.

This week, a Senate committee also gave the okay to a bill that would allow anyone to carry a loaded, concealed weapon in a locked compartment in their car. Both bills could reach the Senate floor next month.

t33j

imported post

If it passes, let's keep a count of how many people get shot inside of restaurants and bars by people who were legally carrying a concealed weapon.

I'll start now: 0

Dreamer

imported post

Well, I can tell you that there were about 40 or 50 carrying guns at Fuddruckers in Richmond on Tuesday night (and they serve alcohol there) and not a SINGLE person was shot. Heck, nobody even pulled a gun. If I remember correctly, there were no arguments, fights, altercations, or even course words. All in all, it was a pretty polite, friendly, and well-behaved crowd...

I don't see how legalizing the legal hiding of a handgun on one's person is going to instantly cause people to lose their minds and become raving murderous lunatics...

This restaurant owner is a clueless goob.

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Well I already knew I'd never go to Cattle Annie's since they frisk and wand everyone and I would have never thought of stepping foot in Outlander's just because of the crowd I've seen there and the previous business there. I have been to one Big Lick's around here and was thoroughly unimpressed. It's sad that this hubbub is made, while anyone can OC already in any ofthes places that serve alcohol.

nova

imported post

It's the same old "blood will run in the streets" only now its restaurants.

Sorry, but if someone is the type of person who is going to get drunk and pull a gun in a restaurant, they're the type of person who's going to ignore the other laws that prohibit him from carrying concealed in the establishment.

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I provided the following reply to the story linked by kenny:

This proposed law change to allow concealed handgun permittees(CHP)to carry a concealedhandgun in establishments serving alcohol only allows CHP holders to cover up theirsidearms when in one of these establishments. Law abiding folks with or without a CHP can already legallycarry a sidearm in any place serving alcohol in Virginia as long as they carry the holstered sidearm openly, so it can be commonly observedsince there is no restrictionon openly carried sidearms in establishments serving alcohol. This proposed change simply allows for the 200,000+ Virginia CHP holders to carry without their firearm being seen. In either case, the business operator retains the authority to discriminate against carry of any sort.

As a regular diner in many of the restaurants here in the Lynchburg area I regularly dine out with my wife, friends and co-workers with my openly holstered sidearm on my side in a retention holster. Occasionally my wife carries in the same manner, and occasionally my friends do the same. No one is harmed, no one is put off and we are welcomed hospitably in the vast majority of places where we have dined. In Roanoke, Richmond and the various other cities we regularly visit here in the Commonwealth we receive the same hospitality and only occasionally even get a comment about the holstered sidearms whether in a restaurant or simply doing some shopping.

As a young professional, who believes that my lifeand the lives of others around me are of value, I choose tocarry mysidearm in the likely rare event that I need it some day to ensure the defeat of someone who doesn't value my life and attempts to prevent me from making it to old age and enjoyingthe blessings it brings such as retirement and grandkids. Those restuarants and businesses that would have me leave mytools of self-defense behind, do not and willnot receive my money or my endorsement.In a way I'm thankful for this story, because it letsmeknow and others know of the fewlocal places that will not see my business and ensures I don't waste my time with a place that only wants my money, while not affording me the opportunity to protect myself or others that are with me. For the rest of the businesses that regularly welcome me, my family and friends: Thank you, you will continue to enjoy our business!

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
imported post

As I headed into work this morning, I turned on the radio to NewsTalk 105.9 (WLNI) and caught the last bit of the headline reader talking about the VA concealed handguns in places serving alcohol legislation. Although I didn't hear the first part of the news reading, I was surprised to hear the newsreader actually spell out that people may already carry holstered firearms in places serving alcohol, provided the firearms are kept openly observable. How refreshing to hear the whole story!

(Makes me wonder if my post on WSET was read by our local news folk and found what I said to be true. Hmmm.....) :)

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I just provided the following e-mail to the news director of WLNI after I read their story on concealed handguns in restaurants (yes they used this term) serving alcohollisted on their website.

Good Morning Ms. White,

I just finished reading the paragraph write-up that was posted on www.WLNI.com regarding the legislation passing to allow for the carriage of concealed weapons in places serving alchohol, here in Virginia. The correction that should be made is to notate that it is already legal for patrons with OR without a concealed handgun permit (CHP) to carry a sidearm in places serving alcohol provided the sidearm is carried openly (openly observable). The current restriction on sidearm carry in places serving alcohol only applies to those who would like to carry a firearm concealed (CHP holders). It is already legal for a person who may lawfully possess a handgun to carry it openly nearly any place in the Commonwealth without a CHP. TheVirginia State Police website provides a nice summary of the law on carrying a firearm in the Commonwealth, for the average user:http://www.vsp.state.va.us/Firearms_Transporting.shtm.

For ease of use I have provided amodified writeup of your story that would make the story provided factually accurate and complete regarding who may already carry in places serving alcohol.

Whoever said alcohol and guns don't mix? Not the Courts of Justice Committee which narrowly approved legislation Thursday that would allow concealed-guns carried byconcealed handgun permitteesin restaurants that serve alcohol. Currently, Virginia law allows concealed and openly carried guns in restaurants that do not serve alcohol.Anyone who may possess a handgunmay also bring a gun into a restaurant that serves alcohol as long as it's in plain view. A similar bill passed the full General Assembly, but was vetoed by former Democratic Governor Timothy M. Kaine. Republican Governor Bob McDonnell has shown support for the legislation. The Senate committee also OK'd legislation that would allow people without concealed-guns permits to stow concealed weapons in certain portions oftheir cars and a proposal to allow holders renew their permits by mail.

Please feel free to drop me a line if I can provide any further information. I look forward to the corrected story.

Thanks much from a regular listener,

jmelvin

Current story link: http://www.wlni.com/news/local/legislation-passes-allowing-guns-in-restaurants-that-serve-alcohol.html

kd4hvz

imported post

"We spoke with managers at five area bars, including Cattle Annies and Big Licks, and they all say they're opposed to allowing guns in their business."

I am just curious if anyone has had any issues with Big Lick? I have been in both their locations countless times and OC every time. Never has anyone said word one to me.

Has anyone ever had any issues with Big Lick?

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I've only ever been there once (the original) once and I was drinking so I wasn't carrying. My wife has talked to some of the servers at the new one on Timberlake about carrying and they didn't seem to think there'd be any issue, but that was months back.

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Yes it should nuc. I just gave up my membership and I knew about the rule to begin with. Fortunately none of the other gyms that I've seen make this same request.

Armed

imported post

kenny wrote:
...Outlanders currently uses metal detectors to enforce the law, and they plan to keep them in use, even if the law changes....

This doesn't sound like the kind of place I would be interested in visiting anyway.

kenny

imported post

Armed wrote:
kenny wrote:
...Outlanders currently uses metal detectors to enforce the law, and they plan to keep them in use, even if the law changes....

This doesn't sound like the kind of place I would be interested in visiting anyway.
To quote the comedian Jerry Clower, "some of those things look too much like folks" and I have always thought that fit a few people from Lynchburg pretty well. Current company excluded.