• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Buckhorn Grill Decides "No Weapons"

heliopolissolutions

imported post

I recieved an e-mail today, from John Pickerel. He has decided against allowing open carriers or concealed carriers into his resteraunts.

Its a shame, but it is his right as the business owner.

February 10, 2010

To our Customers:

Buckhorn Grill would like to apologize for some misunderstanding about our “no weapon policy” in any of our restaurants. We have not in the past nor shall in the future allow weapons in our restaurants from our employees, vendors or customers.
We made an exception on February 6, 2010, and regret this decision now. We were misled with some facts. The local police were involved and we knew none of the weapons were loaded, but it still caused tension with the large mob of people arriving as a group instead of individually. It was supposed to be a group luncheon, and it turned into a meeting. It was an organized propaganda meeting with an agenda. Flyers were handed out and none of this was Okayed with management. There were supposed to be only fifty people, and at least 100 were there. We were told that the luncheon would be an hour, and it turned into two hours We only have about seventy seats, so some of our customers had no place to sit.
We apologize for any inconvenience to our regular customers, it will not happen again. We want to have a safe place for you to dine, and a safe place for us to work. Thanks for your support and understanding.
Tom McLaughlin,
Regional Manager,
tommcl@sbcglobal.net

John R. Pickerel, Owner
Buckhorn Grill
Jrpickerel@buckhornsteakhouse.com

John R. Pickerel
Buckhorn Steakhouse
111 Main St.
Winters, CA 95694
530-304-7634 mobile

brad9point0

imported post

This makes me really sad =( i LOVED their food..... that was officially the LAST time I will be eating there.

Guess they didnt like the "mob" of over a hundred customers coming to eat there. O well im sure we can find other places that would love over 100 customers coming in to eat.

peewee612

imported post

It's sad to see this happen. He does have a point, I've heard people complain about being "lectured" about open carrying. I really don't agree with our community randomly giving their two cents. I think the best thing to do would be to not "inform" people of open carry until asked. I am a strong supporter of the cause, but even I have a problem with people talking to me about their views when I haven't asked them and this goes for religion, politics or anything else.

I plan on participating in the meeting of the 20th in Old Town, I don't think it's a good idea to have "meetings" at these events or loitering. We show up at the establishment, enjoy their service and move-on. The topic of open carry should not even be breached until asked. I do think we should have regular "meetings", but that should take place at one of our homes.

just my two cents...

PavePusher

imported post

brad9point0 wrote:
This makes me really sad =( i LOVED their food..... that was officially the LAST time I will be eating there.

Guess they didnt like the "mob" of over a hundred customers coming to eat there. O well im sure we can find other places that would love over 100 customers coming in to eat.
Make sure that after the next meeting (at another restaurant) you send the Buckhorn copies of your receipts and photos of the cash tips you leave. Let them know how much money they are loosing in a slow economy. It may not change their policy, but you will feel somewhat vindicated...:celebrate

coolusername2007

imported post

heliopolissolutions wrote:
I recieved an e-mail today, from John Pickerel. He has decided against allowing open carriers or concealed carriers into his resteraunts.

Its a shame, but it is his right as the business owner.

February 10, 2010

To our Customers:

Buckhorn Grill would like to apologize for some misunderstanding about our “no weapon policy” in any of our restaurants. We have not in the past nor shall in the future allow weapons in our restaurants from our employees, vendors or customers.
We made an exception on February 6, 2010, and regret this decision now. We were misled with some facts. The local police were involved and we knew none of the weapons were loaded, but it still caused tension with the large mob of people arriving as a group instead of individually. It was supposed to be a group luncheon, and it turned into a meeting. It was an organized propaganda meeting with an agenda. Flyers were handed out and none of this was Okayed with management. There were supposed to be only fifty people, and at least 100 were there. We were told that the luncheon would be an hour, and it turned into two hours We only have about seventy seats, so some of our customers had no place to sit.
We apologize for any inconvenience to our regular customers, it will not happen again. We want to have a safe place for you to dine, and a safe place for us to work. Thanks for your support and understanding.
Tom McLaughlin,
Regional Manager,
tommcl@sbcglobal.net

John R. Pickerel, Owner
Buckhorn Grill

Is any of this true? Did anyone mislead them? Were flyers handed out during the meetup to people who didn't want them? Were you there for 2 hours? Was a "meeting" held while in their restaurant? Or did everyone just sit and talk as one normally would?Did anyone attend and not pay for services? If no, then you were their paying customers and should be every bit as important to them as their other customers.

This decision is not good for our cause. Why? Not because they made the decision, but because they made the decision based on your activities, behavior, and communications (or lack thereof). I must stress this is why its so important to be a good ambassador for the cause. Which in a nutshell means we are always respectful of others around us and especially of the shops and proprietors we wish to patronize. I know this is a bit of a lecture, but somebody needs to do some damage control on this one.

As far as propaganda, I don't believe 2A and the Constitution is propaganda. This is why I created the educational brochure. This brochure, IMO, is what should be handed out to the regular folks (who ask), because its a rights based brochure, not boring PC's that won't be read by the majority of regular non-carrying folks.

Finally, as far as everyone showing up on time, that's just lame.

Sons of Liberty

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

[SNIP] We want to have a safe place for you to dine, and a safe place for us to work. Thanks for your support and understanding.
Tom McLaughlin,
Regional Manager,
tommcl@sbcglobal.net

John R. Pickerel, Owner
Buckhorn Grill

John R. Pickerel
Buckhorn Steakhouse
111 Main St.
Winters, CA 95694
530-304-7634 mobile
Wow...so the message is that a restaurant full of unarmed customers is safer than a restaurant full of armed customers?! Another criminal-safe zone established. I'm sure some of the "early releases" will appreciate this announcement. :banghead:

dirtykoala

imported post

I am not very upset about this. It took me a few months to think of my self as an activist, and I still don't like thinking of myself as one. There are things about this "movement" that upset me, things like huge meets and passing out flyers. It makes me feel like I'm pushing my agenda on others, something I have always hated about the antis. While it is upsetting to see another place push us away, I don't know that I would handle the situation any differently than their management chose to.

Sons of Liberty

imported post

dirtykoala wrote:
[SNIP] While it is upsetting to see another place push us away, I don't know that I would handle the situation any differently than their management chose to.
What!!!???? Please elaborate before I jump to a wrong conclusion here.

dirtykoala

imported post

Coolusername (that is a cool user name btw) from what I observed, I would answer most of your questions with a "yes". This is what I was getting at in my previous post. IMHO the movement is pushing too fast and in the wrong direction. I hate to say it, but I'm starting to really agree with Cato and calguns, we need to slow down a little right now. We have been jabbing at the public and so far it seems to have back fired for the most part. We need more political jabs, behind the scenes of average Joe sheeple.

coolusername2007

imported post

dirtykoala wrote:
I am not very upset about this. It took me a few months to think of my self as an activist, and I still don't like thinking of myself as one. There are things about this "movement" that upset me, things like huge meets and passing out flyers. It makes me feel like I'm pushing my agenda on others, something I have always hated about the antis. While it is upsetting to see another place push us away, I don't know that I would handle the situation any differently than their management chose to.
This is why at the meetups I organize there is no agenda, no schedule, no forced handing out of flyers, and no media invitations. I try to schedule our "meetups" for a few basic reasons: 1. we get to meet each other in person, 2. meetups offer newbies the opportunity to UOC for the first time in the company of veterans, 3. group UOC'ersare usually safer than individual UOC'ers from predatory LEO's. This is also why we try to meetup at open venues instead of a singular location/business. The only flyers I ever hand out are those to people who actively engage me and ask about open carry.

peewee612

imported post

Sorry, I haven't learned how to copy the previous thread yet...

This is why at the meetups I organize there is no agenda, no schedule, no forced handing out of flyers, and no media invitations. I try to schedule our "meetups" for a few basic reasons: 1. we get to meet each other in person, 2. meetups offer newbies the opportunity to UOC for the first time in the company of veterans, 3. group UOC'ersare usually safer than individual UOC'ers from predatory LEO's. This is also why we try to meetup at open venues instead of a singular location/business. The only flyers I ever hand out are those to people who actively engage me and ask about open carry.

I couldn't agree more...

As a noob, I do look forward to meeting the whole community at some point and to be able to UOC. However, I would not be comfortable with us forcing our views and shoving pamphlets in people's faces. That kind of behavior would definitely turn me off from the community. Our attitude should be one where we've almost forgotten we have a gun strapped to our hip, until someone asks. We have to fight the anti's but not by using their tactics.

heliopolissolutions

imported post

It seems like a good solution to me, that if you want to get to know your community better, that you should do it the old fashioned American way.

How about instead of raising awareness by patronizing local business we host barbeque-potlucks and invite the community to come and enjoy themselves.

This of course, requires some more thought and planning, but from a psychological point of view--what better way to develop bond or rapport than by sharing food?

peewee612

imported post

Woo-hoo I just saw the quote button!!

It seems like a good solution to me, that if you want to get to know your community better, that you should do it the old fashioned American way.

How about instead of raising awareness by patronizing local business we host barbeque-potlucks and invite the community to come and enjoy themselves.

This of course, requires some more thought and planning, but from a psychological point of view--what better way to develop bond or rapport than by sharing food?
Genious!!!:celebrate:celebrate

By doing this we wouldn't be "invading" their space, they would come on their own accord.

dirtykoala

imported post

Sons of Liberty wrote:
dirtykoala wrote:
[SNIP] While it is upsetting to see another place push us away, I don't know that I would handle the situation any differently than their management chose to.

the "situation" that we put that restaurant had to be overwhelming to them. they are just trying to make some money, we put at least 75 people in there within 30 mins (good for money), we also brought with us lost of "controversial" media attention, antis walking around the restaurant interviewing people, people passing out fliers, some talking to random passing peoplethat couldnt give 2 _hits about us and looked like they just wanted to get through the crowd and leave. random people were walking by and suddenly got "hey mam! were just a bunch of friendly americans carrying our guns and exercising our rights!", true, but not needed. the looks of some of the passerby were "i really dont care, just leave me alone."but they got a face full of info. our group did not come across well to most of the unknowing. and who will be remembered for this? california open carry, buckhorn grill.

it doesnt matter if our agenda were freedom of speech, saving whales, carrying guns, donating to haitti, or practicing witch craft.. we came off too strong and put the buckhorn in the middle of a political agenda, regardless of the agenda is right or wrong, its not something a place of business needs.

IMHO, i think we should write to buckhorn to say sorry for putting them in that situation. we need to keep our meets to public places like parks and city plazas with lots of places around to spread out and patronize, where no one place is over affected.

dirtykoala

imported post

coolusername2007 wrote:
dirtykoala wrote:

were on the same page here, the meets i have organized have been just this.

Sons of Liberty

imported post

dirtykoala wrote:
Sons of Liberty wrote:
dirtykoala wrote:

the "situation" that we put that restaurant had to be overwhelming to them. they are just trying to make some money, we put at least 75 people in there within 30 mins (good for money), we also brought with us lost of "controversial" media attention, antis walking around the restaurant interviewing people, people passing out fliers, some talking to random passing peoplethat couldnt give 2 _hits about us and looked like they just wanted to get through the crowd and leave. random people were walking by and suddenly got "hey mam! were just a bunch of friendly americans carrying our guns and exercising our rights!", true, but not needed. the looks of some of the passerby were "i really dont care, just leave me alone."but they got a face full of info. our group did not come across well to most of the unknowing. and who will be remembered for this? california open carry, buckhorn grill.

it doesnt matter if our agenda were freedom of speech, saving whales, carrying guns, donating to haitti, or practicing witch craft.. we came off too strong and put the buckhorn in the middle of a political agenda, regardless of the agenda is right or wrong, its not something a place of business needs.

IMHO, i think we should write to buckhorn to say sorry for putting them in that situation. we need to keep our meets to public places like parks and city plazas with lots of places around to spread out and patronize, where no one place is over affected.
Were you there?