• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

LAPD cop wants me to take picture with him

oc3068

imported post

Funny story, I went to get some fast food after spending a few hours in the range, and had my gun locked in my car. When I got there, I saw 2 police cars parked there, 2 of the police officers were talking to a guy.

One of them (a female) nodded with me, and said "KFC huh? how do you stay so skinny eating that", we chatted a bit, and I asked her if she has ever seen anyone open carrying in town. She saw my empty holster and magazines, and said "ah, no, but I assume you do open carry?" I said yes, but my gun is locked in my car. She told me that if they got a call about a MWAG, she would take it seriously but professionally, saying that she would look at the situation, and determine whether the man is a threat by his actions, clothing, and the way he's carrying. She is aware of 12031e, but said if all looks good, and after some exchange of word and determined that the man is of no threat, there would not be a point to even bother to stir the pot.

After the other two officers are done, she called them over and we talked about it more. One of them agreed, and the other one said he would be a bit afraid to approach, might even have his weapon unholstered if he sees some thug-like guy. But he also said it will take time for them to get used to this, and he has no problem with law abiding citizens carrying guns.

After that, one of them noticed a camera pouch on my belt, and asked if I carry a camera around. I answered yes. He said "Great, can you go holster your pistol and we can have a picture together?" I was a bit weird out by that, but they said "it's ok, you have it on your voice recorder that we asked you to do that anyways. I see blinking red light in your shirt pocket" Funny and observant cop, so I unlocked and holstered my pistol, then they asked someone who just parked her car to take a picture of us. They even gave me their email addresses and said I can email them questions if I like, or even the picture if I feel comfortable.

The woman was obviously having the WTF face when they asked her, and she just hopped back in her car and drove away afterwards. Didn't even get her food LOL.

Now I need to find my camera cable :D

tekshogun

Founder's Club Member
imported post

You know that movie, where the zombies say "BRAINS" the whole time?

Well, that will be me, except I'll be saying "PICTURE" until you post one. :)

Good job, funny story too. Especially about the part where they pointed out they saw your blinking voice recorder.

heliopolissolutions

imported post

Aw, thats cute.

No really it is, but recent experiences has taught me to err strongly on the side of caution regarding LEO and OC. Don't take this as paranoid, but you never know a setup until your in it.

leoffensive

imported post

that could have been the same female officer that approached us in san pedro prior to the helo and road blocks.

the one that said she knew why we were there and all. if you post the pic i think army could recognize her best

bigtoe416

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

BEST POLICE ENCOUNTER EVER.

This warms my heart. And to steal pullnshoot25's word, it even warms the subcockles of my heart.

Palecon

imported post

oc, what division of LAPD do you live. I know a lot of cops from hollenbeck, central bureau.

Did you get names.

Do they know of "Oath Keepers"

Very happy story. Thumbs up. See you in old town pas. Bring the gun...p

oc3068

imported post

I don't know which division it's in. In fact I don't even know if it's their jurisdiction because I was actually in west hollywood and I thought the Sheriff has jurisdiction over there.

mjones

imported post

oc3068 wrote:
I don't know which division it's in. In fact I don't even know if it's their jurisdiction because I was actually in west hollywood and I thought the Sheriff has jurisdiction over there.

There are no jursidictional limits on LEO authority anywhere in CA. i.e. a LEO from Redding, CA has full peace officer status in San Diego, CA.

But you are correct that Law Enforcement in West Hollywood is primarily the responsibility of LASD and not LAPD. There is allot of bleedover in that area.

A ECNALG

imported post

oc3068 wrote:
...and determine whether the man is a threat by his actions, clothing, and the way he's carrying.
Clothing.

Everybodycatch that?

This officer confirms that clothing can and usually will be used to profile an individual (was there ever any doubt?).Apprehension, even suspicion (I'm not talking necessarily ofreasonable articulable suspicion of recent, current or pending criminal activity),are easily triggered in the minds of police and the general public by the way UOC'sattire themselves.

pullnshoot25

imported post

A ECNALG wrote:
oc3068 wrote:
... and determine whether the man is a threat by his actions, clothing, and the way he's carrying. 
Clothing. 

Everybody catch that? 

This officer confirms that clothing can and usually will be used to profile an individual (was there ever any doubt?).  Apprehension, even suspicion (I'm not talking necessarily of reasonable articulable suspicion of recent, current or pending criminal activity), are easily triggered in the minds of police and the general public by the way UOC's attire themselves. 

Clothes do make the man. Ever seen anyone take a naked man seriously? (paraphrased Mark Twain)

N6ATF

Banned
imported post

pullnshoot25 wrote:
A ECNALG wrote:
oc3068 wrote:
...and determine whether the man is a threat by his actions, clothing, and the way he's carrying.
Clothing.

Everybodycatch that?

This officer confirms that clothing can and usually will be used to profile an individual (was there ever any doubt?).Apprehension, even suspicion (I'm not talking necessarily ofreasonable articulable suspicion of recent, current or pending criminal activity),are easily triggered in the minds of police and the general public by the way UOC'sattire themselves.

Clothes do make the man. Ever seen anyone take a naked man seriously? (paraphrased Mark Twain)
http://www.sandiegoreader.com/news/2010/feb/10/winter-swim-and-twist/