• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Canadian bear story

JohnAlexander

imported post

A few friends and I drove to British Columbia to visit one of our friends who lives in a very small town in the middle of nowhere. We arrive safely in rainy weather and wait a day. I had brought along my never-fired semi-auto AR15 that we wanted to show him and to test out with him, us all being gun enthusiasts.

The next day was sunny so at the guide of our friend, navigated my 1993 Pontiac Bonneville up an down some secret 50 year old loggers road, going through valleys and through dense forests. After about 25 minutes, we came to a small man-made clearing where we parked.

Got out and busted the gun case open and let her rip with a hundred or so rounds of 223. Man can that thing go, I was shocked a the AR15's power considering what it was firing.

Anyways, its around 5-6pm now so the sun is just starting to set. We brought a long some yummy steaks and burgers, built a makeshift firepit using rocks and got a fire going.

About 5 minutes after eating, we still had a couple of steaks and burgers that were cooked left over lying there. Two of my friends (4 of us in total) announced they had to go relieve themselves. By now its around 8-9pm so its almost completely pitch black, with only a small hint of light so you could just barely see.

Seizing this opportunity to prank our two friends who had left the campfire, me and the other friend ran away around 50ft from the campfire through some heavy brush and trees.

As we were ducking down behind some heavy tree cover, I started to hear this sound. At first I thought it was just a bird, but the same sound kept repeating, but it was getting closer. I've never encountered a bear ever in my life but I knew it had to be a bear. It sounded like something very big and heavy was breathing out and roaring.

It was coming from behind where we were, and I started to hear a sound just like it coming from a different direction as well. The friend I was with, whom lived in BC and whom me and the two others came to visit is an experienced outdoorsman, more so then all three of us.

At first he didn't hear it and only god knows why. After a few of the noises and how they were getting closer fast, I raised the issue to him. "Do you hear that? What the **ck is that?" I said. After him telling me to be completely silent the noise happened again a couple of times, with the noises coming even closer.

Suddenly my friend with me whispered "Oh sh**". I asked him if we could run back to the campfire.. he didn't say anything for a couple of seconds and the noise happened again, this time even closer. He told me we had to get out there now. We run back to the campfire yelling loudly at our friends who were peeing.

After all we didn't know if they could be in any danger.. Our friends weren't back yet so we yelled for them.. They responded and we told them to get the hell back to the campfire we had to leave immediately.

They thought we were joking but sure enough we weren't. We packed up as fast as we could and took off in the car back to town.

I don't know if they were bears or not for sure, but it sure sounded like them. It's bad to reference but it sounded exactly like bears do if you've ever watched national geographic. We weren't taking any chances.

We decided to leave because we had no ammo left to even shoot them with, plus it was too dark to even aim.

We went back the next day to find the clearing ransacked. All the food was gone and the tin foil we had a lot of stuff in was ripped in a way that would be consistent with bear claws... and damn were those bears HUGE.

I'm glad we decided to prank our friends as if we had not, we would have continued to sit by the fire talking and laughing and would not have probably heard the bears coming before it might have been too late.

JohnAlexander

imported post

phone guy wrote:
Nice scary story...AR 15 in Canada?
Yes, Semi-auto AR15's are legal in canada but require extra special measures taken. You can never bring your AR15 anywhere accept to a gun range. YOu also need to be a member of a gun club to even purchase it, and also have your license and of course register it.

I also saw a SIG 500 at my local gunshop but thats about it. The assault rifle is extremely limited in Canada.

My AR15 is restricted with 30 round magazines that have a special steel piece welded in forcing the magazine to only hold 5 rounds. Yes. 5 rounds

northstar65

imported post

Ah yes Canada.......the land of the idiotic Liberal gun laws. Lets hope the Cons. get their majority sooner than later and repeal the garbage that was brought in(licensing & registration) between 1993 and 2000.

n16ht5

imported post

Haha good reason to keep some ammo left over next time. Last time iwas in BC I saw a black bear when I was hiking. I guess there's a lot up there. Sounds like a good story for the campfire

Alexcabbie

imported post

There is a young Canadian fellow on Justin.TV who is a fan of mine. I asked about how Canadians deal with bear attacks, not having ready access to firearms. He told me that when a bear attacks, one should just reach into one's pants and grab a lump of poop and fling it at the bear.

I asked him what I should do if there was no poop in my drawers, and he said: Oh, don't worry. It'll be there. It'll be there!"

Seriously, that's what the S&W .500 Magnum is for.....

Tomahawk

imported post

How to tell what kind of bear is after you: If you climb a tree and it follows you up the tree to kill you, it's a black bear. If it rips the tree out of the ground in order to kill you, it's a grizzly. If there are no trees to climb, it's a polar bear.

tekshogun

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Too funny. Always take extra ammo with you. I would rather deal with the police (mounted) explaining to them why I had a gun and ammunition rather than talking to a doctor about what limbs need to be amputated or worse, a family member discussing what should be done with my remains (or what is left of them).

Also, let this be a warning to you about how to operate outdoors in bear country. Whether it was a bear or a moose, you all reacted properly in getting the hell out of dodge but damn it I hope the bear(s) that ate your food already had a taste for steak. It sucks if there is another one added to the list of predatory for human food, or worse, humans (especially if you have the smell of that stake on you.

Glad ya'll made it out safe.

Don't they make movies about things going bump in the nigh-time woods? Yeah, movies may often be fiction, but a lot of it, if it can be imagined, has happened to someone in some form or fashion.