Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Women and OC

Post imported post

I am new to open carry and using firearms in general. I have noticed that women tend to make up less of the OC population. I thought it would be great to start a discussion where all of the women could meet, share OC experiences, and differing aspects of OC/firearm use for women (for example holsters that fit our body type, and how to OC while dressing up).

Husbands, feel free to post on behalf of your wife if she doesn't have an account. I really am interested to see how many women OC.

Post imported post

Welcome to OCDO and carrying openly.

I'm going to go out on the proverbial limb and guess that you may not know about The Cornered Cat http://corneredcat.com/ - it's possibly one of the best sites for info on carrying for and by women, and has more than enoughinfo for men to make it worthwhile for them to head there and read, too.

Paxton Quigley http://www.paxtonquigley.com/is another good place to spend some time, as is http://shootlikeagirl.com/info.htm(pretty self-explanitary, no?).

Don't miss the next "Ladies' Day at the Range" event at Black Creek Range - coming October 2, 2010. Checkhttp://nrablog.com/?tag=/women+on+targetfor more info - but be sure to register early as it will probably reach max registration.

stay safe.

skidmark
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Post imported post

Actually, I had found the cornered cat. I am an amazing googler. I will have to check the other sites out. Thanks Skidmark!

Post imported post

Welcome to the forums, Mrsjero...
    "Most people respect the badge. Everybody... respects the gun."

Post imported post

Not many women post here... but my wife OC's 50% and always (100%) when she's 'shopping' by herself. She uses a separate gunbelt (as I do) and carries cross draw at 10 O'clock (as I do). I would recommend a Serpa positive retentionholster, but you did not state the make/model of your carry weapon.

Post imported post

I have a walter ppk that I have carried, I am still not consistently carrying. I have looked into the crossdraws, I think that is a type of holster that I would like very much. Right now, because I do not carry that often I just have a standard cloth holster. Awesome that your wife open carries so much! :0) Does she have an account, ever chat on here? Has she ever had an interesting situations from carrying?

Post imported post

People ask her what it is.(Makarov 9X18mm) This is AZ... 'different here than back east. She doesn'tpost on here (or anywhere else) at all. 'Not into it.

She also has a DW .40 and a Charter Arms .38

Alexandria, Fairfax County, Virginia, USA

Post imported post

Hi mrsjero1987 - welcome to OCDO. You're right, there are not a lot of us, comparatively, on the forums. And I get a lot more comments (once people even notice) about carrying than my husband does.

I carry a Bersa, usually a 9mm but sometimes a .380 or sometimes a .40, most often in a JBP holster (Sleeping Dog convertible model) on a custom-made belt. I carry most of the time, except during the week when I work on an AF base in Washington DC. You might imagine that limits my carry options somewhat <grin>.

I've been open carrying now for about 6 years. When asked why, I have several stock responses, depending on the situation:
    - I can't carry a cop (yes, I used and posted that line)
    - Criminals prey on the weak and defenseless. When they see this, they know I'm neither.
    - I ask if they've ever been raped. I have. Never again.
    - I ask if they've ever had to call a police officer in an emergency. I ask how long it took the police to arrive. Then I ask if they had that long every time.

And sometimes, I just say nothing. It's never wise to try to out-a$$hold an a$$hole.

Laws alone can not secure freedom of expression; in order that every man present his views without penalty there must be spirit of tolerance in the entire population. -Albert Einstein

Post imported post

I just wear a serpa level 2, or my thumb break OWB leather holster I made for myself.

Post imported post

Sonora Rebel wrote:
    Not many women post here... but my wife OC's 50% and always (100%) when she's 'shopping' by herself. She uses a separate gunbelt (as I do) and carries cross draw at 10 O'clock (as I do). I would recommend a Serpa positive retentionholster, but you did not state the make/model of your carry weapon.
    What the Reb said...we(the wife & I)take turns between our Kimber Custom Carry ll, and "Ol Reliable "Plissken" (8" Colt Anaconda 44mag.).

The Kimber has a duty belt, the Anaconda is a vert. rig
    Bale da Hay

"Have you Spanked a leftist today; it's the Right thing to do!!!"

Within the gates before a man shall go,
    (Fully warily let him watch,)
    Full long let him look about him;
    For little he knows where a foe may lurk,
    And sit in the seats within.

Havamal (Bellows translation)

Post imported post

Thank you all for your posts :0). I am leanring more about holsters.

It is nice to see more women involved. Guns are not just for guys.

When I was living in the dorm on my college campus, and my now husband was taking me to the range to shoot, I was showing off one of the targets. A girl on my dorm was talking about how she had also gone to the range and her experience. I talked about possibly getting a concealed permit to carry and she said that she felt "that it was weird/creepy" for women to carry.

I understand her very misguided initial reaction. Unfortunately, carrying, especially openly, can have a stigma for women. Women who carry can be seen as "masculine" or other more derogative terms. That is why I think that it is important that we can carry and tell people that guns are not just for the boys, (hey they are something that legitimately you can buy for the simple reason "it was pretty") guns are tools just like anything else. And I think that when we carry we can show our differences and change this perception. Women who carry can be hunters from the sticks, a grandma wanting to protect her grandchildren, a pregnant woman, a professional business woman, an everyday Joanne, or a girl who adores wearing pink and pearls. :0)

Thanks for all of the helpful discussions! :0)

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

Welcome to OCDO mrsjero

Don't worry about appearing "masculine". Most of us here consider the sight of an armed woman as a sign of independence. Liberals find that to be real scary.

Post imported post

Task Force 16 wrote:
    Welcome to OCDO mrsjero

Don't worry about appearing "masculine". Most of us here consider the sight of an armed woman as a sign of independence. Liberals find that to be real scary.

BINGO!

Post imported post

haha I'm not worried about it. But I think it is the main deterrent for women in general :-/

Post imported post

I've heard from some women (and men) regarding being armed. 'What will people think?'

What will they think if you're dead? Victims become victims 'cause they cannot defend against the threat... and are at the mercy of the BG's force disparity. It's really simple. Refuse to be a victim.

Post imported post

My wife with Kimber .45.

I do love a strong independent woman, and for me, it doesn't get much better than this.

I also have a hard time believing that anyone would accuse her of being masculine.

Post imported post

Hi Mrsjero,

Welcome to the forum! Along with the excellent links posted by Skidmark, you might also want to check out http://www.womenandguns.com

I live in a state that is still CC only, but we are working to change that

Consequently, I carry CC with a dress jacket over for cover. One day at the gas pump, the wind blowing and swirling about 40mph blew the tail of my jacket up and the guy on the pump next to me saw my piece. His comment was,"There ain't nothing sexier than a woman with a gun." Now, if that wasn't sweet, I don't know what is

I agree that most holsters and belts are not built for a woman's body shape! I generally wear blue jeans, so I can get by with a western belt and a nylon holster carried at 4:00.

Cheers - a female gun nut:celebrate
    cheers - okboomer
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Lead, follow, or get out of the way

Exercising my 2A Rights does NOT make me a CRIMINAL! Infringing on the exercise of those rights makes YOU one!

Post imported post

My wife doesn't post but she OCs whenever we go to a restaurant using the VA tuck. A couple of other times for political reasons. Not a small gun either, a H&K USP 40.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Post imported post

welcome to the board. My wife doesnt OC, but recently got her CWP. We have yet to find her a pistol, though she has a current selection if she chooses to carry. She is defiantly not afraid of guns.
    ~ ENCLAVE vmc ~
    The Enclave is looking for patriotic motorcycle riders in Washington State who support liberty and freedom for all. ~ Check us out!
    ~
    * " To be swayed neither by the opponent nor by his sword is the essence of swordsmanship." - Miyamoto Musashi.

Lone Star Veteran

Post imported post

My wife CC's or OC's occasionally with her Kahr P9. She switches between a Galco ankle holster or her purse for CC, and this holster for CC and OC:

http://www.kramerleather.com/product...&categoryID=22 .

Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar

Post imported post

Welcome aboard we could always use more of a female perspective on this board. Here's my wife first time OC at a meet.

Batousaii wrote:
    welcome to the board. My wife doesnt OC, but recently got her CWP. We have yet to find her a pistol, though she has a current selection if she chooses to carry. She is defiantly not afraid of guns.
    Hey Bat were you at Dixies?
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

Banned

Post imported post

I've tried to get my wife to OC, but she is shy. I'm working on it and hope she'll come around. She is a good shot with anything that isn't a lightweight handgun.

That is a legal sawed off pistol in a belt holster. I made her practice getting frisked because I'm sure it will happen sooner or later.

Post imported post

kwikrnu wrote:
    I've tried to get my wife to OC, but she is shy. I'm working on it and hope she'll come around. She is a good shot with anything that isn't a lightweight handgun.

That is a legal sawed off pistol in a belt holster. I made her practice getting frisked because I'm sure it will happen sooner or later.
    Looks like a "mare's leg" to me. I'm fairly certain that's still considered a rifle, so long as the lengths work out right.

For the OP: Not many women are gun-owners, let alone gun-carriers or open-carriers. I'm sure the numbers are rising considerably, but I still think more men by guns than women. According to http://womenshooters.com/archive/old...ecial0903.html the only statistic they were able to request from the BATFE was some recent (at that time) NICS queries that showed that 12% of firearms sales in an 80 day period were to females and the remaining 88% was to males. That statistic may or may not be representative of the overall firearm owner population, but even if we are overly cautious and triple the value, that's just a hair over a third female and the rest male.

It makes sense to me, from a statistical standpoint that since not many women are buying guns, not many women own guns, so not many women carry guns. It also stands to reason that with potentially confrontational nature of OC women may be less likely to participate in OC than men.

It would make for an interesting study to compare the percentage of female firearm owners vs male firearm owners (I'd guess low for females) and then compare the percentage of female firearm owners who regularly carry vs the percentage of male firearm owners who regularly carry. (I'm wondering if there may be more females carrying vs females who own guns than the males who carry that own.) I think you'd struggle to even get a statistically representative sample of female OC'ers to study.

Banned

Post imported post

shad0wfax wrote:
    Looks like a "mare's leg" to me. I'm fairly certain that's still considered a rifle, so long as the lengths work out right.

The ATF says it is a pistol, now that I cut the barrel TN considers it a handgun too. I'll probably cut the grip down a little too.

Post imported post

kwikrnu wrote:

That's HOT !!!!! ( I mean the sawed off Lever action pistol )
    http://youtu.be/xWgVGu3OR4U AACFI, Wisconsin / Minnesota Carry Certified. Action Pistol & Advanced Action pistol concepts + Urban Carbine course. When the entitlement Zombies begin looting, pillaging, raping, burning & killing..remember HEAD SHOTS it's the only way to kill a Zombie. Stockpile food & water now.

Please support your local,county, state & Federal Law enforcement agencies, right ???

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast