• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Women and OC

mrsjero1987

imported post

I am new to open carry and using firearms in general. I have noticed that women tend to make up less of the OC population. I thought it would be great to start a discussion where all of the women could meet, share OC experiences, and differing aspects of OC/firearm use for women (for example holsters that fit our body type, and how to OC while dressing up).

Husbands, feel free to post on behalf of your wife if she doesn't have an account. I really am interested to see how many women OC.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Welcome to OCDO and carrying openly.

I'm going to go out on the proverbial limb and guess that you may not know about The Cornered Cat http://corneredcat.com/ - it's possibly one of the best sites for info on carrying for and by women, and has more than enoughinfo for men to make it worthwhile for them to head there and read, too.

Paxton Quigley http://www.paxtonquigley.com/is another good place to spend some time, as is http://shootlikeagirl.com/info.htm(pretty self-explanitary, no?).

Don't miss the next "Ladies' Day at the Range" event at Black Creek Range - coming October 2, 2010. Check [url]http://nrablog.com/?tag=/women+on+target[/url]for more info - but be sure to register early as it will probably reach max registration.

stay safe.

skidmark

mrsjero1987

imported post

Actually, I had found the cornered cat. I am an amazing googler. I will have to check the other sites out. Thanks Skidmark!

Sonora Rebel

imported post

Not many women post here... but my wife OC's 50% and always (100%) when she's 'shopping' by herself. She uses a separate gunbelt (as I do) and carries cross draw at 10 O'clock (as I do). I would recommend a Serpa positive retentionholster, but you did not state the make/model of your carry weapon.

mrsjero1987

imported post

I have a walter ppk that I have carried, I am still not consistently carrying. I have looked into the crossdraws, I think that is a type of holster that I would like very much. Right now, because I do not carry that often I just have a standard cloth holster. Awesome that your wife open carries so much! :0) Does she have an account, ever chat on here? Has she ever had an interesting situations from carrying?

Sonora Rebel

imported post

People ask her what it is.(Makarov 9X18mm) This is AZ... 'different here than back east. She doesn'tpost on here (or anywhere else) at all. 'Not into it.

She also has a DW .40 and a Charter Arms .38

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Hi mrsjero1987 - welcome to OCDO. You're right, there are not a lot of us, comparatively, on the forums. And I get a lot more comments (once people even notice) about carrying than my husband does.

I carry a Bersa, usually a 9mm but sometimes a .380 or sometimes a .40, most often in a JBP holster (Sleeping Dog convertible model) on a custom-made belt. I carry most of the time, except during the week when I work on an AF base in Washington DC. You might imagine that limits my carry options somewhat <grin>.

I've been open carrying now for about 6 years. When asked why, I have several stock responses, depending on the situation:
- I can't carry a cop (yes, I used and posted that line)
- Criminals prey on the weak and defenseless. When they see this, they know I'm neither.
- I ask if they've ever been raped. I have. Never again.
- I ask if they've ever had to call a police officer in an emergency. I ask how long it took the police to arrive. Then I ask if they had that long every time.

And sometimes, I just say nothing. It's never wise to try to out-a$$hold an a$$hole.

Lurchiron

imported post

Sonora Rebel wrote:
Not many women post here... but my wife OC's 50% and always (100%) when she's 'shopping' by herself. She uses a separate gunbelt (as I do) and carries cross draw at 10 O'clock (as I do). I would recommend a Serpa positive retentionholster, but you did not state the make/model of your carry weapon.

What the Reb said...we(the wife & I)take turns between our Kimber Custom Carry ll, and "Ol Reliable "Plissken" (8" Colt Anaconda 44mag.).

The Kimber has a duty belt, the Anaconda is a vert. rig

mrsjero1987

imported post

Thank you all for your posts :0). I am leanring more about holsters.

It is nice to see more women involved. Guns are not just for guys.

When I was living in the dorm on my college campus, and my now husband was taking me to the range to shoot, I was showing off one of the targets. A girl on my dorm was talking about how she had also gone to the range and her experience. I talked about possibly getting a concealed permit to carry and she said that she felt "that it was weird/creepy" for women to carry.

I understand her very misguided initial reaction. Unfortunately, carrying, especially openly, can have a stigma for women. Women who carry can be seen as "masculine" or other more derogative terms. That is why I think that it is important that we can carry and tell people that guns are not just for the boys, (hey they are something that legitimately you can buy for the simple reason "it was pretty") guns are tools just like anything else. And I think that when we carry we can show our differences and change this perception. Women who carry can be hunters from the sticks, a grandma wanting to protect her grandchildren, a pregnant woman, a professional business woman, an everyday Joanne, or a girl who adores wearing pink and pearls. :0)

Thanks for all of the helpful discussions! :0)

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Welcome to OCDO mrsjero

Don't worry about appearing "masculine". Most of us here consider the sight of an armed woman as a sign of independence. Liberals find that to be real scary. :lol:

Sonora Rebel

imported post

Task Force 16 wrote:
Welcome to OCDO mrsjero

Don't worry about appearing "masculine". Most of us here consider the sight of an armed woman as a sign of independence. Liberals find that to be real scary. :lol:
BINGO!

Sonora Rebel

imported post

I've heard from some women (and men) regarding being armed. 'What will people think?'

What will they think if you're dead? Victims become victims 'cause they cannot defend against the threat... and are at the mercy of the BG's force disparity. It's really simple. Refuse to be a victim.

Gordie

imported post

My wife with Kimber .45.

normal_post%20l.jpg

I do love a strong independent woman, and for me, it doesn't get much better than this.

I also have a hard time believing that anyone would accuse her of being masculine.

okboomer

imported post

Hi Mrsjero,

Welcome to the forum! Along with the excellent links posted by Skidmark, you might also want to check out http://www.womenandguns.com

I live in a state that is still CC only, but we are working to change that :D

Consequently, I carry CC with a dress jacket over for cover. One day at the gas pump, the wind blowing and swirling about 40mph blew the tail of my jacket up and the guy on the pump next to me saw my piece. His comment was,"There ain't nothing sexier than a woman with a gun." Now, if that wasn't sweet, I don't know what is :lol:

I agree that most holsters and belts are not built for a woman's body shape! I generally wear blue jeans, so I can get by with a western belt and a nylon holster carried at 4:00.

Cheers - a female gun nut:celebrate

Batousaii

imported post

welcome to the board. My wife doesnt OC, but recently got her CWP. We have yet to find her a pistol, though she has a current selection if she chooses to carry. She is defiantly not afraid of guns.