• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Women and OC

sudden valley gunner

imported post

Welcome aboard we could always use more of a female perspective on this board. Here's my wife first time OC at a meet.

PolynesianOpenCarry-1.jpg

Batousaii wrote:
welcome to the board. My wife doesnt OC, but recently got her CWP. We have yet to find her a pistol, though she has a current selection if she chooses to carry. She is defiantly not afraid of guns.
Hey Bat were you at Dixies?

kwikrnu

Banned
imported post

I've tried to get my wife to OC, but she is shy. I'm working on it and hope she'll come around. She is a good shot with anything that isn't a lightweight handgun.

pumabountyhunterpicture.jpg

That is a legal sawed off pistol in a belt holster. I made her practice getting frisked because I'm sure it will happen sooner or later.

shad0wfax

imported post

kwikrnu wrote:
I've tried to get my wife to OC, but she is shy. I'm working on it and hope she'll come around. She is a good shot with anything that isn't a lightweight handgun.

That is a legal sawed off pistol in a belt holster. I made her practice getting frisked because I'm sure it will happen sooner or later.
Looks like a "mare's leg" to me. I'm fairly certain that's still considered a rifle, so long as the lengths work out right.

For the OP: Not many women are gun-owners, let alone gun-carriers or open-carriers. I'm sure the numbers are rising considerably, but I still think more men by guns than women. According to http://womenshooters.com/archive/old0903issue/newsspecial0903.html the only statistic they were able to request from the BATFE was some recent (at that time) NICS queries that showed that 12% of firearms sales in an 80 day period were to females and the remaining 88% was to males. That statistic may or may not be representative of the overall firearm owner population, but even if we are overly cautious and triple the value, that's just a hair over a third female and the rest male.

It makes sense to me, from a statistical standpoint that since not many women are buying guns, not many women own guns, so not many women carry guns. It also stands to reason that with potentially confrontational nature of OC women may be less likely to participate in OC than men.

It would make for an interesting study to compare the percentage of female firearm owners vs male firearm owners (I'd guess low for females) and then compare the percentage of female firearm owners who regularly carry vs the percentage of male firearm owners who regularly carry. (I'm wondering if there may be more females carrying vs females who own guns than the males who carry that own.) I think you'd struggle to even get a statistically representative sample of female OC'ers to study.

kwikrnu

Banned
imported post

shad0wfax wrote:

Looks like a "mare's leg" to me. I'm fairly certain that's still considered a rifle, so long as the lengths work out right.

The ATF says it is a pistol, now that I cut the barrel TN considers it a handgun too. I'll probably cut the grip down a little too.

GLOCK21GB

Campaign Veteran
imported post

kwikrnu wrote:

pumabountyhunterpicture.jpg

That's HOT !!!!! ( I mean the sawed off Lever action pistol :cool: )

phoneguy

imported post

sudden valley gunner wrote:
Welcome aboard we could always use more of a female perspective on this board. Here's my wife first time OC at a meet.

PolynesianOpenCarry-1.jpg

Is that picture taken before or after the hot sauce?

Batousaii wrote:
welcome to the board. My wife doesnt OC, but recently got her CWP. We have yet to find her a pistol, though she has a current selection if she chooses to carry. She is defiantly not afraid of guns.
Hey Bat were you at Dixies?

Guy B. Meredith

imported post

I will pass on the "women and guns are hot" stuff as I am supposed to behave myself as a married senior citizen, but I do feel very good about women who are into firearms and carry.

I feel this shows a strong, independent frame of mind that is really refreshing. I am SOOOOOooooo tired of the cliches of helpless women, the twisted ankles in action dramas, and all the rest of that rubbish. Helpless women are also fodder for controlling types with agendas.

Hunting Mama

Not deep enough in the Woods, Wisconsin, USA
imported post

I was glad to find this thread.:celebrate

I don't currently OC, but would like to. I just would like to find a new gun for that purpose. I do have a Colt 45, but it is just alittle too big to be comfortable for carrying. I don't want to carry my TC .357 max either - too big and a single shot. And my .380 is just junk, plus alittle too small. So suggestions would be welcome here.

I work with my father running senior housing and today I brought up about wanting to get a new pistol for OCing. I figured that I just wouldn't carry at work, but then he came out with a joking comment about me keeping all of our folks safe. Like he could picture it and wasn't opposed to the idea. So, that should give me a comfortable forum to start carrying on a regular basis when I find what I am looking for, although I don't quite know what that is right now. :p

When vacationing out in MT, it was like 2nd nature to carry everywhere, but that was quite awhile ago.:(

Guy B. Meredith

imported post

Well, one thing about OC is that it is a comfortable way to carry a larger gun than you would CCW. I wouldn't want my 6" S&W 686+ in a IWB holster, but there is a wider range of possibilities with OC.

sudden valley gunner

imported post

Hunting Mama wrote:

I don't currently OC, but would like to. I just would like to find a new gun for that purpose. I do have a Colt 45, but it is just alittle too big to be comfortable for carrying. I don't want to carry my TC .357 max either - too big and a single shot. And my .380 is just junk, plus alittle too small. So suggestions would be welcome here.

I work with my father running senior housing and today I brought up about wanting to get a new pistol for OCing. I figured that I just wouldn't carry at work, but then he came out with a joking comment about me keeping all of our folks safe. Like he could picture it and wasn't opposed to the idea. So, that should give me a comfortable forum to start carrying on a regular basis when I find what I am looking for, although I don't quite know what that is right now. :p

When vacationing out in MT, it was like 2nd nature to carry everywhere, but that was quite awhile ago.:(
There are a few good guns, the S&W compact 9 M&P is a good one with customizable grips to fit varying hands, I bought that one for my wife (not the one she's wearing in pic) and it shoots well and isn't very large. There are many 9's that would work and some new lines out there that are fairly small.

hollie1

imported post

skidmark wrote:
Welcome to OCDO and carrying openly.

I'm going to go out on the proverbial limb and guess that you may not know about The Cornered Cat http://corneredcat.com/ - it's possibly one of the best sites for info on carrying for and by women, and has more than enoughinfo for men to make it worthwhile for them to head there and read, too.

Paxton Quigley http://www.paxtonquigley.com/is another good place to spend some time, as is http://shootlikeagirl.com/info.htm (pretty self-explanitary, no?).

Don't miss the next "Ladies' Day at the Range" event at Black Creek Range - coming October 2, 2010. Check [url]http://nrablog.com/?tag=/women+on+target[/url]for more info - but be sure to register early as it will probably reach max registration.

stay safe.

skidmark
corneredcat.com is a Great Site! I really enjoy reading thur it!! Lots of the stories would be of interest to both guys & gails

Guy B. Meredith

imported post

Yes, Cornered Cat is a good resource. The lady really has her stuff together and is a regular on other forums.

It is always SOOooo refreshing to me to see women who are their own person and don't let others do their thinking for them.

Dahwg

imported post

My wife doesn't post on here, but she carries a Bersa Thunderer .380 She is currently lusting after my CZ P-01. I will let her have it when I get my XD45, and I will get that after I save up for my AR, so for now, she has to be content to just lust after my CZ. :lol:

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Hunting Mama wrote:

Welcome!

I too love my .45 (a Rock Island Armory 1911) but it's too big to carry openly. Because women's belts sit higher than mens, and differently, the sidearm tends to scrape the side of my arm. BTW, I am *not* by any stretch of the imagine tiny.

You might consider a .40. I have a Bersa. Because I don't have to carry cocked and locked (the Bersa "safety" is a decocker, so I simply decock and treat it as double-action, I have a wider range of holsters and I've found a leather style that works well for me. It's the JBP "sleeping dog" IWB/OWB style.

mrsjero1987

imported post

My first gun, that I've been shooting off an on the last few years is a Walther PPK .380. Up until a range trip ago I love small guns because they were lighter weight to carry. However, not aiming well with the ppk, my friend hands me his .45 1911 that I've never previously shot, and I aimed it soo well. Props for bigger guns. I've been looking into getting an Armscor Rock Island 1911. Have you had any problems with it?

XD-GEM

Campaign Veteran
imported post

mrsjero1987
Welcome to OCDO. There are far fewer gals than guys here, but the women who do post are allgreat. Tess, Mama Liberty, and XD40Coyote are always worth reading.

You might want to search for a few threads started by andiewrites. She is a magazine writer from England who has been working on an article about OCing women. There are plenty of good links for womenmentioned in those threads.

We're all eager to see what she come up with.

mrsjero1987

imported post

Thanks, I will definitely have to start following those threads.

I think the women's point of view is one that is not always mentioned. I was in DC recently for one of the rallies and actually was interviewed by the DC Women's Issues examiner. I am anxious and excited to see what she will write.