Thread: Palo Alto Cop says OCers should be shot.

Post imported post

This story was posted over on UCC, thanks to llh who started the thread there. The link has text and video.
    http://www.ktvu.com/news/22516072/detail.html

EAST PALO ALTO, Calif. -- A controversy was brewing in East Palo Alto Tuesday night after a police detective made apparently joking comments through his Facebook account saying “open carry” advocates who visibly carry guns in public should be shot.
    Now East Palo Alto has become a reluctant testing ground for a battle of constitutional amendments: one police officer's 'freedom of speech' versus a group’s 'right to bear arms.'
    Area resident Adnan Shahab is an “open carry” advocate who frequently goes out in public displaying an unloaded gun on his belt. Such activity is legal in California with certain restrictions, such as staying clear of schools.
    Shahab said he was offended by Facebook remarks posted by East Palo Alto detective Rod Tuason. Tuason published a comment that said he agreed with a friend that open carry advocates should come to Oakland, Richmond and East Palo Alto and -- in an apparent joke -- said officers should shoot the advocates.
    "So it's a little shocking and disappointing to hear that a sworn officer is basically so cavalier with violating a person's second amendment rights and basically putting a bullet in them for doing absolutely nothing wrong," said Shahab.
    East Palo Alto police were investigating whether the remarks violate department policies.
    Police also point out the remarks were made in a personal, private web page and were only made public by a blogger.
    East Palo Alto Mayor David E. Woods told KTVU by phone that he was waiting for the police department investigation. He also expressed some misgivings about the behavior of open carry advocates.
    "But I am concerned -- although it's legal -- about people walking around with firearms," said Mayor Woods.
    Adnan Shahab said he believes the fact the comments came from a facebook exchange made the remarks and any perceived threat more credible.
    "Quite honestly I feel a little unsafe going to East Palo Alto right now," explained Shahab.
    Police said there was no timetable for the investigation. Detective Tuason remained on-duty and did not return KTVU’s call requesting an interview.

Post imported post

Seems like it could be seen as a threat of voilence. and should be punishable.

Post imported post

If one us commoners had made such a statement, we would be behind bars. The fact that he is still on duty speaks volumes about the attitude of the department and city.

Post imported post

This is not the first officer to spout off with this remark. Here is a comment from officer.com regarding kwikrnu.

wakeislander
    Forum Member

Anyone holding a gun in their hand walking down a street who doesn't drop it at the sight of a police officer really deserves to be shot.
    "An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life." Robert A. Heinlein

Post imported post

...somewhat similar.

LA DEP

That would be an emergent handle 'man with a gun' call here.....with the 'jogger' proned out at gunpoint.......and filled full of holes if he so much as sneezed wrong......
    ...and here. I realize these are a different incident, but it seems that some LEO's are just looking to shoot someone. :?

thecountrylife
    TX Posts: 291

It amazed me he has lived this long without the police or a civilian shooting him
    "An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life." Robert A. Heinlein

Post imported post

Police officers generally have an attitude of being superior to civilians.

If they really believe that, then maybe they should hold themselves to a higher standard.

Post imported post

I wouldn't mind a bullet wound from the Palo Alto police dept... as long as they're willing to buy me a house, and free pain meds the rest of my life.

"Aw!! oh my God, Oh, I'm hurt. Oh, my neck, my back, my neck and my back. I want a hunnid and fifty thousand... but we can settle out of court right now for twenty bucks."

That was a good movie

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

thx997303 wrote:
    Police officers generally have an attitude of being superior to civilians.

If they really believe that, then maybe they should hold themselves to a higher standard.
    +1

Where is the public outcry and censure by all the "good" cops who fully support allrights?
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

Post imported post

b1ack5mith wrote:
    Aw!! oh my God, Oh, I'm hurt. Oh, my neck, my back, my neck and my back. I want a hunnid and fifty thousand... but we can settle out of court right now for twenty bucks.
    HAHA! Ezal rocks! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ku1GFKTT_WI

Post imported post

They are convinced that it is a bad thing for people to be able to protect themselves.
    Utah Certified Concealed Firearms Permit Instructor
    NRA Pistol Instructor & RSO

Lover of Freedom

Post imported post

Does his statement apply to LEO's too, since they OC?

Post imported post

I think this may be out of context.

Post imported post

rpyne wrote:
    If one us commoners had made such a statement, we would be behind bars. The fact that he is still on duty speaks volumes about the attitude of the department and city.
    Do you really think that you would be jailed for a statement?

If so perhaps I ought to turn myself in. Sadly I have said things that I never intended to do. I think we all have.

Post imported post

BILLYBADBOY wrote:
    rpyne wrote:

If so perhaps I ought to turn myself in. Sadly I have said things that I never intended to do. I think we all have.
    Such a statement can easily land a person in jail after passage of the Patriot Act. Under the Patriot Act it is considered a terroristic threat.

Post imported post

SGT Jensen wrote:
    b1ack5mith wrote:
    Aw!! oh my God, Oh, I'm hurt. Oh, my neck, my back, my neck and my back. I want a hunnid and fifty thousand... but we can settle out of court right now for twenty bucks.
    HAHA! Ezal rocks! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ku1GFKTT_WI
    DUDE you've seen friday!? We ARE related! :O

Post imported post

BILLYBADBOY wrote:
    I think this may be out of context.*
    How so?

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

Fellas,

Let's keep in mind that cop bashing is not appreciated by the forum founders/moderators* and not appreciated by many of the readers. If you want to criticize bad policing, please do not generalize where specific actionsor a specific class or sub-class of officer or officer attitudeis more accurate.

In short, don't paint withtoo broad a brush.

Just so nobody who's read myposts thinks I've been kidnapped by psychiatrists and medicated, I still have no tolerance for the slightest rights violation by police.I still consider that if a cop contacts me, even consensually, over my OCd gun, he's getting a noisy formal complaint. I have not suddenly gone all soft on cops, its just that:

There is a fine line between legitimate criticizism and generalized bashing. Find it and join the side of the angels (and people who don't get their posts deleted or threads locked.)

*Forum Rule #5

5) While you may disagree strongly with another poster based upon their opinion, we will NOT tolerate any personal attacks or general bashing of groups of people based upon race, religion, sex, or choice of occupation (e.g., being a law enforcement officer).

I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

Post imported post

Citizen wrote:
    Fellas,

Let's keep in mind that cop bashing is not appreciated by the forum founders/moderators* and not appreciated by many of the readers. If you want to criticize bad policing, please do not generalize where specific actionsor a specific class or sub-class of officer or officer attitudeis more accurate.

In short, don't paint withtoo broad a brush.

Just so nobody who's read myposts thinks I've been kidnapped by psychiatrists and medicated, I still have no tolerance for the slightest rights violation by police.I still consider that if a cop contacts me, even consensually, over my OCd gun, he's getting a noisy formal complaint. I have not suddenly gone all soft on cops, its just that:

There is a fine line between legitimate criticizism and generalized bashing. Find it and join the side of the angels (and people who don't get their posts deleted or threads locked.)

*Forum Rule #5

5) While you may disagree strongly with another poster based upon their opinion, we will NOT tolerate any personal attacks or general bashing of groups of people based upon race, religion, sex, or choice of occupation (e.g., being a law enforcement officer).

5) is tolerated often. It has chased many a good cop and supporter away.

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

BILLYBADBOY wrote:
    Citizen wrote:
    SNIP [quoted forum rule #5 againstcop bashing]
    5) is tolerated often. It has chased many a good cop and supporter away.
    Don't confuse moderators whocan only do so much with tolerance. I have never, ever, even once, seenJohn orMike write a post tolerant of police bashing.

Post imported post

I dont care what occupation the ***** has who spouts off this this loudmouth BS has !

It reminds me of what some PUNK @$$ GANG BANGER would say because he has a ton of backup and cant handle a little bit of competition and is probably more than likely too big of a wuss to go 1 on 1 anyway. either that or someone who knows that they more than likely somehow could get away with murder..... Thats just my opinion.

Post imported post

rpyne wrote:
    BILLYBADBOY wrote:
    rpyne wrote:

Such a statement can easily land a person in jail after passage of the Patriot Act. Under the Patriot Act it is considered a terroristic threat.
    While I don't agree with his comment I believe he has a right to say it. To me it came across as an ignorant opinion and not a threat. How can we as advocates of the second amendment stifle another man's first amendment rights?

Post imported post

1Grizzly1 wrote:
    rpyne wrote:
    BILLYBADBOY wrote:
    rpyne wrote:

While I don't agree with his comment I believe he has a right to say it. To me it came across as an ignorant opinion and not a threat. How can we as advocates of the second amendment stifle another man's first amendment rights?
    Correct "FREEDOM OF SPEACH" but i have known people to get charged with domestic violence for making similar threats.

It is even worse that is comes from sombody thatis sworn to uphold the law,

its the same way when people get compounding charges because they are in a position of trust and get charged with a crime.