Results 1 to 22 of 22

Thread: Palo Alto Cop says OCers should be shot.

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    SLC, Utah, USA
    Posts
    223

    Post imported post

    This story was posted over on UCC, thanks to llh who started the thread there. The link has text and video.
    http://www.ktvu.com/news/22516072/detail.html

    EAST PALO ALTO, Calif. -- A controversy was brewing in East Palo Alto Tuesday night after a police detective made apparently joking comments through his Facebook account saying “open carry” advocates who visibly carry guns in public should be shot.
    Now East Palo Alto has become a reluctant testing ground for a battle of constitutional amendments: one police officer's 'freedom of speech' versus a group’s 'right to bear arms.'
    Area resident Adnan Shahab is an “open carry” advocate who frequently goes out in public displaying an unloaded gun on his belt. Such activity is legal in California with certain restrictions, such as staying clear of schools.
    Shahab said he was offended by Facebook remarks posted by East Palo Alto detective Rod Tuason. Tuason published a comment that said he agreed with a friend that open carry advocates should come to Oakland, Richmond and East Palo Alto and -- in an apparent joke -- said officers should shoot the advocates.
    "So it's a little shocking and disappointing to hear that a sworn officer is basically so cavalier with violating a person's second amendment rights and basically putting a bullet in them for doing absolutely nothing wrong," said Shahab.
    East Palo Alto police were investigating whether the remarks violate department policies.
    Police also point out the remarks were made in a personal, private web page and were only made public by a blogger.
    East Palo Alto Mayor David E. Woods told KTVU by phone that he was waiting for the police department investigation. He also expressed some misgivings about the behavior of open carry advocates.
    "But I am concerned -- although it's legal -- about people walking around with firearms," said Mayor Woods.
    Adnan Shahab said he believes the fact the comments came from a facebook exchange made the remarks and any perceived threat more credible.
    "Quite honestly I feel a little unsafe going to East Palo Alto right now," explained Shahab.
    Police said there was no timetable for the investigation. Detective Tuason remained on-duty and did not return KTVU’s call requesting an interview.

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Grantsville, Utah, USA
    Posts
    124

    Post imported post

    Seems like it could be seen as a threat of voilence. and should be punishable.

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Provo, Utah, USA
    Posts
    1,076

    Post imported post

    If one us commoners had made such a statement, we would be behind bars. The fact that he is still on duty speaks volumes about the attitude of the department and city.

  4. #4
    State Researcher Kevin Jensen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Santaquin, Utah, USA
    Posts
    2,313

    Post imported post

    This is not the first officer to spout off with this remark. Here is a comment from officer.com regarding kwikrnu.

    wakeislander
    Forum Member
    Join Date: Oct 2008
    Location: Connecticut
    Posts: 234

    Anyone holding a gun in their hand walking down a street who doesn't drop it at the sight of a police officer really deserves to be shot.
    "An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life." Robert A. Heinlein

  5. #5
    State Researcher Kevin Jensen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Santaquin, Utah, USA
    Posts
    2,313

    Post imported post

    ...somewhat similar.

    LA DEP
    Join Date: Dec 2007
    Location: Los Angeles

    That would be an emergent handle 'man with a gun' call here.....with the 'jogger' proned out at gunpoint.......and filled full of holes if he so much as sneezed wrong......
    ...and here. I realize these are a different incident, but it seems that some LEO's are just looking to shoot someone. :?

    thecountrylife
    Join Date:
    Oct 2009 Location:
    TX Posts: 291

    It amazed me he has lived this long without the police or a civilian shooting him
    "An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life." Robert A. Heinlein

  6. #6
    Regular Member thx997303's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Lehi, Utah, USA
    Posts
    2,716

    Post imported post

    Police officers generally have an attitude of being superior to civilians.

    If they really believe that, then maybe they should hold themselves to a higher standard.


  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Payson, Utah, USA
    Posts
    1,146

    Post imported post

    I wouldn't mind a bullet wound from the Palo Alto police dept... as long as they're willing to buy me a house, and free pain meds the rest of my life.

    "Aw!! oh my God, Oh, I'm hurt. Oh, my neck, my back, my neck and my back. I want a hunnid and fifty thousand... but we can settle out of court right now for twenty bucks."

    That was a good movie


  8. #8
    Founder's Club Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Fairfax Co., VA
    Posts
    18,766

    Post imported post

    thx997303 wrote:
    Police officers generally have an attitude of being superior to civilians.

    If they really believe that, then maybe they should hold themselves to a higher standard.
    +1

    Where is the public outcry and censure by all the "good" cops who fully support allrights?
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

    If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

    There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

  9. #9
    State Researcher Kevin Jensen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Santaquin, Utah, USA
    Posts
    2,313

    Post imported post

    b1ack5mith wrote:
    Aw!! oh my God, Oh, I'm hurt. Oh, my neck, my back, my neck and my back. I want a hunnid and fifty thousand... but we can settle out of court right now for twenty bucks.
    HAHA! Ezal rocks! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ku1GFKTT_WI
    "An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life." Robert A. Heinlein

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Sandy, Utah, USA
    Posts
    215

    Post imported post

    They are convinced that it is a bad thing for people to be able to protect themselves.
    Utah Certified Concealed Firearms Permit Instructor
    NRA Pistol Instructor & RSO

    Lover of Freedom

  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    SLC, Utah, USA
    Posts
    223

    Post imported post

    Does his statement apply to LEO's too, since they OC?

  12. #12
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Salt Lake City, Utah, USA
    Posts
    49

    Post imported post

    I think this may be out of context.

  13. #13
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Salt Lake City, Utah, USA
    Posts
    49

    Post imported post

    rpyne wrote:
    If one us commoners had made such a statement, we would be behind bars. The fact that he is still on duty speaks volumes about the attitude of the department and city.
    Do you really think that you would be jailed for a statement?

    If so perhaps I ought to turn myself in. Sadly I have said things that I never intended to do. I think we all have.

  14. #14
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Provo, Utah, USA
    Posts
    1,076

    Post imported post

    BILLYBADBOY wrote:
    rpyne wrote:
    If one us commoners had made such a statement, we would be behind bars. The fact that he is still on duty speaks volumes about the attitude of the department and city.
    Do you really think that you would be jailed for a statement?

    If so perhaps I ought to turn myself in. Sadly I have said things that I never intended to do. I think we all have.
    Such a statement can easily land a person in jail after passage of the Patriot Act. Under the Patriot Act it is considered a terroristic threat.

  15. #15
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Payson, Utah, USA
    Posts
    1,146

    Post imported post

    SGT Jensen wrote:
    b1ack5mith wrote:
    Aw!! oh my God, Oh, I'm hurt. Oh, my neck, my back, my neck and my back. I want a hunnid and fifty thousand... but we can settle out of court right now for twenty bucks.
    HAHA! Ezal rocks! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ku1GFKTT_WI
    DUDE you've seen friday!? We ARE related! :O

  16. #16
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    SLC, Utah, USA
    Posts
    223

    Post imported post

    BILLYBADBOY wrote:
    I think this may be out of context.*
    How so?

  17. #17
    Founder's Club Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Fairfax Co., VA
    Posts
    18,766

    Post imported post

    Fellas,

    Let's keep in mind that cop bashing is not appreciated by the forum founders/moderators* and not appreciated by many of the readers. If you want to criticize bad policing, please do not generalize where specific actionsor a specific class or sub-class of officer or officer attitudeis more accurate.

    In short, don't paint withtoo broad a brush.

    Just so nobody who's read myposts thinks I've been kidnapped by psychiatrists and medicated, I still have no tolerance for the slightest rights violation by police.I still consider that if a cop contacts me, even consensually, over my OCd gun, he's getting a noisy formal complaint. I have not suddenly gone all soft on cops, its just that:

    There is a fine line between legitimate criticizism and generalized bashing. Find it and join the side of the angels (and people who don't get their posts deleted or threads locked.)

    *Forum Rule #5

    5) While you may disagree strongly with another poster based upon their opinion, we will NOT tolerate any personal attacks or general bashing of groups of people based upon race, religion, sex, or choice of occupation (e.g., being a law enforcement officer).


    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

    If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

    There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

  18. #18
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Salt Lake City, Utah, USA
    Posts
    49

    Post imported post

    Citizen wrote:
    Fellas,

    Let's keep in mind that cop bashing is not appreciated by the forum founders/moderators* and not appreciated by many of the readers. If you want to criticize bad policing, please do not generalize where specific actionsor a specific class or sub-class of officer or officer attitudeis more accurate.

    In short, don't paint withtoo broad a brush.

    Just so nobody who's read myposts thinks I've been kidnapped by psychiatrists and medicated, I still have no tolerance for the slightest rights violation by police.I still consider that if a cop contacts me, even consensually, over my OCd gun, he's getting a noisy formal complaint. I have not suddenly gone all soft on cops, its just that:

    There is a fine line between legitimate criticizism and generalized bashing. Find it and join the side of the angels (and people who don't get their posts deleted or threads locked.)

    *Forum Rule #5

    5) While you may disagree strongly with another poster based upon their opinion, we will NOT tolerate any personal attacks or general bashing of groups of people based upon race, religion, sex, or choice of occupation (e.g., being a law enforcement officer).

    5) is tolerated often. It has chased many a good cop and supporter away.

  19. #19
    Founder's Club Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Fairfax Co., VA
    Posts
    18,766

    Post imported post

    BILLYBADBOY wrote:
    Citizen wrote:
    SNIP [quoted forum rule #5 againstcop bashing]
    5) is tolerated often. It has chased many a good cop and supporter away.
    Don't confuse moderators whocan only do so much with tolerance. I have never, ever, even once, seenJohn orMike write a post tolerant of police bashing.

    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

    If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

    There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

  20. #20
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    West Jordan, Utah, USA
    Posts
    7

    Post imported post

    I dont care what occupation the ***** has who spouts off this this loudmouth BS has !

    It reminds me of what some PUNK @$$ GANG BANGER would say because he has a ton of backup and cant handle a little bit of competition and is probably more than likely too big of a wuss to go 1 on 1 anyway. either that or someone who knows that they more than likely somehow could get away with murder..... Thats just my opinion.

  21. #21
    Regular Member 1Grizzly1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Layton, Utah, USA
    Posts
    54

    Post imported post

    rpyne wrote:
    BILLYBADBOY wrote:
    rpyne wrote:
    If one us commoners had made such a statement, we would be behind bars. The fact that he is still on duty speaks volumes about the attitude of the department and city.
    Do you really think that you would be jailed for a statement?

    If so perhaps I ought to turn myself in. Sadly I have said things that I never intended to do. I think we all have.
    Such a statement can easily land a person in jail after passage of the Patriot Act. Under the Patriot Act it is considered a terroristic threat.
    While I don't agree with his comment I believe he has a right to say it. To me it came across as an ignorant opinion and not a threat. How can we as advocates of the second amendment stifle another man's first amendment rights?

  22. #22
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Grantsville, Utah, USA
    Posts
    124

    Post imported post

    1Grizzly1 wrote:
    rpyne wrote:
    BILLYBADBOY wrote:
    rpyne wrote:
    If one us commoners had made such a statement, we would be behind bars. The fact that he is still on duty speaks volumes about the attitude of the department and city.
    Do you really think that you would be jailed for a statement?

    If so perhaps I ought to turn myself in. Sadly I have said things that I never intended to do. I think we all have.
    Such a statement can easily land a person in jail after passage of the Patriot Act. Under the Patriot Act it is considered a terroristic threat.
    While I don't agree with his comment I believe he has a right to say it. To me it came across as an ignorant opinion and not a threat. How can we as advocates of the second amendment stifle another man's first amendment rights?
    Correct "FREEDOM OF SPEACH" but i have known people to get charged with domestic violence for making similar threats.

    It is even worse that is comes from sombody thatis sworn to uphold the law,

    its the same way when people get compounding charges because they are in a position of trust and get charged with a crime.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •