• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Palo Alto Cop says OCers should be shot.

mqondo

imported post

This story was posted over on UCC, thanks to llh who started the thread there. The link has text and video.
http://www.ktvu.com/news/22516072/detail.html

EAST PALO ALTO, Calif. -- A controversy was brewing in East Palo Alto Tuesday night after a police detective made apparently joking comments through his Facebook account saying “open carry” advocates who visibly carry guns in public should be shot.
Now East Palo Alto has become a reluctant testing ground for a battle of constitutional amendments: one police officer's 'freedom of speech' versus a group’s 'right to bear arms.'
Area resident Adnan Shahab is an “open carry” advocate who frequently goes out in public displaying an unloaded gun on his belt. Such activity is legal in California with certain restrictions, such as staying clear of schools.
Shahab said he was offended by Facebook remarks posted by East Palo Alto detective Rod Tuason. Tuason published a comment that said he agreed with a friend that open carry advocates should come to Oakland, Richmond and East Palo Alto and -- in an apparent joke -- said officers should shoot the advocates.
"So it's a little shocking and disappointing to hear that a sworn officer is basically so cavalier with violating a person's second amendment rights and basically putting a bullet in them for doing absolutely nothing wrong," said Shahab.
East Palo Alto police were investigating whether the remarks violate department policies.
Police also point out the remarks were made in a personal, private web page and were only made public by a blogger.
East Palo Alto Mayor David E. Woods told KTVU by phone that he was waiting for the police department investigation. He also expressed some misgivings about the behavior of open carry advocates.
"But I am concerned -- although it's legal -- about people walking around with firearms," said Mayor Woods.
Adnan Shahab said he believes the fact the comments came from a facebook exchange made the remarks and any perceived threat more credible.
"Quite honestly I feel a little unsafe going to East Palo Alto right now," explained Shahab.
Police said there was no timetable for the investigation. Detective Tuason remained on-duty and did not return KTVU’s call requesting an interview.

rpyne

imported post

If one us commoners had made such a statement, we would be behind bars. The fact that he is still on duty speaks volumes about the attitude of the department and city.

Kevin Jensen

State Researcher
imported post

This is not the first officer to spout off with this remark. Here is a comment from officer.com regarding kwikrnu.

wakeislander
Forum Member

Anyone holding a gun in their hand walking down a street who doesn't drop it at the sight of a police officer really deserves to be shot.

Kevin Jensen

State Researcher
imported post

...somewhat similar.

LA DEP

That would be an emergent handle 'man with a gun' call here.....with the 'jogger' proned out at gunpoint.......and filled full of holes if he so much as sneezed wrong......
...and here. I realize these are a different incident, but it seems that some LEO's are just looking to shoot someone. :?

thecountrylife
TX Posts: 291

It amazed me he has lived this long without the police or a civilian shooting him

thx997303

imported post

Police officers generally have an attitude of being superior to civilians.

If they really believe that, then maybe they should hold themselves to a higher standard.

b1ack5mith

imported post

I wouldn't mind a bullet wound from the Palo Alto police dept... as long as they're willing to buy me a house, and free pain meds the rest of my life.

"Aw!! oh my God, Oh, I'm hurt. Oh, my neck, my back, my neck and my back. I want a hunnid and fifty thousand... but we can settle out of court right now for twenty bucks."

That was a good movie

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

thx997303 wrote:
Police officers generally have an attitude of being superior to civilians.

If they really believe that, then maybe they should hold themselves to a higher standard.

+1

Where is the public outcry and censure by all the "good" cops who fully support allrights?

BILLYBADBOY

imported post

rpyne wrote:
If one us commoners had made such a statement, we would be behind bars. The fact that he is still on duty speaks volumes about the attitude of the department and city.
Do you really think that you would be jailed for a statement?

If so perhaps I ought to turn myself in. Sadly I have said things that I never intended to do. I think we all have.

rpyne

imported post

BILLYBADBOY wrote:
rpyne wrote:
Do you really think that you would be jailed for a statement?

If so perhaps I ought to turn myself in. Sadly I have said things that I never intended to do. I think we all have.
Such a statement can easily land a person in jail after passage of the Patriot Act. Under the Patriot Act it is considered a terroristic threat.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Fellas,

Let's keep in mind that cop bashing is not appreciated by the forum founders/moderators* and not appreciated by many of the readers. If you want to criticize bad policing, please do not generalize where specific actionsor a specific class or sub-class of officer or officer attitudeis more accurate.

In short, don't paint withtoo broad a brush.

Just so nobody who's read myposts thinks I've been kidnapped by psychiatrists and medicated, I still have no tolerance for the slightest rights violation by police.I still consider that if a cop contacts me, even consensually, over my OCd gun, he's getting a noisy formal complaint. I have not suddenly gone all soft on cops, its just that:

There is a fine line between legitimate criticizism and generalized bashing. Find it and join the side of the angels (and people who don't get their posts deleted or threads locked.)

*Forum Rule #5

5) While you may disagree strongly with another poster based upon their opinion, we will NOT tolerate any personal attacks or general bashing of groups of people based upon race, religion, sex, or choice of occupation (e.g., being a law enforcement officer).

BILLYBADBOY

imported post

Citizen wrote:
Fellas,

Let's keep in mind that cop bashing is not appreciated by the forum founders/moderators* and not appreciated by many of the readers. If you want to criticize bad policing, please do not generalize where specific actionsor a specific class or sub-class of officer or officer attitudeis more accurate.

In short, don't paint withtoo broad a brush.

Just so nobody who's read myposts thinks I've been kidnapped by psychiatrists and medicated, I still have no tolerance for the slightest rights violation by police.I still consider that if a cop contacts me, even consensually, over my OCd gun, he's getting a noisy formal complaint. I have not suddenly gone all soft on cops, its just that:

There is a fine line between legitimate criticizism and generalized bashing. Find it and join the side of the angels (and people who don't get their posts deleted or threads locked.)

*Forum Rule #5

5) While you may disagree strongly with another poster based upon their opinion, we will NOT tolerate any personal attacks or general bashing of groups of people based upon race, religion, sex, or choice of occupation (e.g., being a law enforcement officer).

5) is tolerated often. It has chased many a good cop and supporter away.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

BILLYBADBOY wrote:
Citizen wrote:
SNIP [quoted forum rule #5 againstcop bashing]
5) is tolerated often. It has chased many a good cop and supporter away.
Don't confuse moderators whocan only do so much with tolerance. I have never, ever, even once, seenJohn orMike write a post tolerant of police bashing.

packerbacker

imported post

I dont care what occupation the prick has who spouts off this this loudmouth BS has !

It reminds me of what some PUNK @$$ GANG BANGER would say because he has a ton of backup and cant handle a little bit of competition and is probably more than likely too big of a wuss to go 1 on 1 anyway. either that or someone who knows that they more than likely somehow could get away with murder..... Thats just my opinion.