Thread: Good rifle for coyote hunting

President, CLSD, Inc., Oxford, Michigan, USA

Post imported post

I'm looking into getting a new rifle for coyote hunting and there's the age old debate between 223 vs. 22-250. Any other suggestions? I'm looking for something moderately priced, nothing too high.

As of now I don't have anything since I just started looking into it, I'm curious to hear from any coyote hunters or anyone else who can offer more insight into a good varmint rifle.

Thanks

Post imported post

I use my SKS or my Mosen Nagant M44.

7.62x39 and 7.62x54r respectivly but that is just me.
    Anything I post may be my opinion and not the law... you are responsible to do your own verification.

Blackstone (1753-1765) maintains that "the law holds that it is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."

Post imported post

autosurgeon wrote:
    I use my SKS or my Mosen Nagant M44.

7.62x39 and 7.62x54r respectivly but that is just me.
    Old school, I like it.

I'm going to take a run to Gander Mtn. today and check out some prices on 22-250's.

Post imported post

Generaldet wrote:
    I'm looking into getting a new rifle for coyote hunting and there's the age old debate between 223 vs. 22-250. Any other suggestions? I'm looking for something moderately priced, nothing too high.

As of now I don't have anything since I just started looking into it, I'm curious to hear from any coyote hunters or anyone else who can offer more insight into a good varmint rifle.

Thanks
    Winchester M70 Coyote Light in 243 Win. MSRP $1069.00

They make them right, and they make them right here(South Carolina).

Guaranteed to shoot 1 moa(100yds.) out of the box.

I just ordered an Extreme Weather SS in 300 Win. mag for $949.00 (retail)

When it comes time to buy a rifle, why not buy "The Rifleman's Rifle" ???
    Bale da Hay

"Have you Spanked a leftist today; it's the Right thing to do!!!"

Within the gates before a man shall go,
    (Fully warily let him watch,)
    Full long let him look about him;
    For little he knows where a foe may lurk,
    And sit in the seats within.

Havamal (Bellows translation)

Post imported post

Generaldet wrote:
    I'm looking into getting a new rifle for coyote hunting and there's the age old debate between 223 vs. 22-250.* Any other suggestions? I'm looking for something moderately priced, nothing too high.

Thanks

Any thing bigger than a .22 (even though it would probably work) that can thin their numbers a bit is a good coyote gun
    Rand Paul 2016

Post imported post

I like autosurgeon's cheap and reliable suggestions.

22-250 is an expensive barrel burner. No real need for that much velocity at the distances you're likely to shoot in Michigan. If however, you are planning on going on a hunt in a free state with more range potential, it might be a good idea.
    Answer every question about open carry in Michigan you ever had with one convenient and free book- http://libertyisforeveryone.com/open-carry-resources/

The complete and utter truth can be challenged from every direction and it will always hold up. Accordingly there are few greater displays of illegitimacy than to attempt to impede free thought and communication.

Banned

Post imported post

Recently just jumped on the 17 hmr band wagon. Havent killed one yet but a freind has and the round worked well.

Post imported post

If you sell hides then anything bigger then a 243 IMO would put two, too big holes in it. 22 wmr works well, but i only use it if they are in the yard.

If you just want to get some time in the field, then as auto surgeon said. Surplus guns and ammo will do the trick, within w/e range you can effectively use them.

I use a bushmaster 223 (carry handle right now, but i'm putting funds together for a flattop) with a Nikon 3x9-40mm. It get's a little heavy, i won't talk it up in that regard. But i've yet to come up against a distance that was too far to take an ethical shot(140-150 yards is generally a long shot for where I hunt). And not losing your target after firing is by far my favorite aspect of the AR platform for hunting.

If you bow hunt, there's no better practice with your compound/recurve/crossbow then coyotes.

1)Average distance of shots
    2)weight of the total package
    3)Reliability
    4)cost of Ammo/availability
    5)resale value

Good luck in your hunt for a new rifle, and for 'yotes!

Post imported post

wardog6d wrote:
    Recently just jumped on the 17 hmr band wagon. Havent killed one yet but a freind has and the round worked well.
    That's a cool round. Twice the velocity, but half the weight of a .22 rimfire magnum, with roughly equal impact energy. Extremely flat shooting. May as well be a laser. A friend of mine had one. It's a lot of fun.
    "Fault always lies in the same place, my fine babies: with him weak enough to lay blame." - Cort

Gun control is like trying to reduce Drunk Driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Sentio aliquos togatos contra me conspirare.

The answer to "1984" is "
    1776"

With freedom comes much responsibility. It is for this reason so many are loathe to exercise it.

Post imported post

The 17HMR is an awesome squirrel/rabbit round. But, maybe i've just seen to many coyotes run off after being hit by one.

• .17 HMR, 17 grain V-Max = ME 245 ft. lbs., 185 ft. lbs. at 50 yards, 136 ft. lbs. at 100 yards, 99 ft. lbs. at 150 yards, 72 ft. lbs. at 200 yards.
    • .17 HMR, 20 grain XTP = ME 250 ft. lbs., 187 ft. lbs. at 50 yards, 137 ft. lbs. at 100 yards, 99 ft. lbs. at 150 yards, 72 ft. lbs. at 200 yards.
    • .22 WMR, 30 grain TNT = ME 325 ft. lbs., 200 ft. lbs. at 50 yards, 120 ft. lbs. at 100 yards, 80 ft. lbs. at 150 yards.
    • .22 WMR, 40 grain JHP = ME 324 ft. lbs., 230 ft. lbs. at 50 yards, 162 ft. lbs. at 100 yards.

Banned

Post imported post

Yes its a pretty efficient round I initially purchased a handgun in 17hmr for partridge then after seeing the devistation to the bird, purchased a lon gun. I really would like to find a auto version long gun that isnt $400 or more. I think I paid $160 for the bolt action.

Banned

Post imported post

BreakingTheMold wrote:
    The 17HMR is an awesome squirrel/rabbit round. But, maybe i've just seen to many coyotes run off after being hit by one.

• .17 HMR, 17 grain V-Max = ME 245 ft. lbs., 185 ft. lbs. at 50 yards, 136 ft. lbs. at 100 yards, 99 ft. lbs. at 150 yards, 72 ft. lbs. at 200 yards.
    • .17 HMR, 20 grain XTP = ME 250 ft. lbs., 187 ft. lbs. at 50 yards, 137 ft. lbs. at 100 yards, 99 ft. lbs. at 150 yards, 72 ft. lbs. at 200 yards.
    • .22 WMR, 30 grain TNT = ME 325 ft. lbs., 200 ft. lbs. at 50 yards, 120 ft. lbs. at 100 yards, 80 ft. lbs. at 150 yards.
    • .22 WMR, 40 grain JHP = ME 324 ft. lbs., 230 ft. lbs. at 50 yards, 162 ft. lbs. at 100 yards.
    The challange of making a good shot is the coolest part from my perspective. If the shot is good they may run but not far. "Aim small miss small"

Post imported post

I have a Winchester 9422 lever action in .22 Magnum.

Very good for coyotes and assorted other pest control, as it doesn't violate the "Firing after dark" rules that apply to centerfire rifles.

.22 Mag gets the job done well.

Post imported post

I like headshots... hides don't get messed up. They are harder but hey I like a challenge.

Also I use Privi Partizen 180 grain softpoints for the M44 and Remington softpoints in the SKS.
    Anything I post may be my opinion and not the law... you are responsible to do your own verification.

Blackstone (1753-1765) maintains that "the law holds that it is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."

Post imported post

autosurgeon wrote:
    ...and Remington softpoints in the SKS.
    Just curious, why the Remington ammo? Does it function better than commie crap in your particular gun?
    Answer every question about open carry in Michigan you ever had with one convenient and free book- http://libertyisforeveryone.com/open-carry-resources/

The complete and utter truth can be challenged from every direction and it will always hold up. Accordingly there are few greater displays of illegitimacy than to attempt to impede free thought and communication.

Post imported post

autosurgeon wrote:
    I like headshots... hides don't get messed up. They are harder but hey I like a challenge.

Also I use Privi Partizen 180 grain softpoints for the M44 and Remington softpoints in the SKS.
    I was thinking headshots at 50-75 yrds with a hollow point from a ruger 10/22 might work, what do you guys think. The last thing I want to do is wound an animal.

Post imported post

I suggest that you wet pack (24 hr soaked phone book) test a .22 HP to see if it's the amount of performance you're looking for. You might want to put a bone from a steak or a piece of wood in front of the wet pack to simulate skull structure.

Post imported post

Bull-Barrel -SS -10-22 with CCI works very well also had good luck with 38/357 rifle lever action .Never had varmint get back up or run away .Woodchuck - rabbit - raccoon - other.

Post imported post

Wiz wrote:
    I have a Winchester 9422 lever action in .22 Magnum.

Very good for coyotes and assorted other pest control, as it doesn't violate the "Firing after dark" rules that apply to centerfire rifles.

.22 Mag gets the job done well.
    +1

.22 Magnum is SUPERB for coyotes.

No late-night hunting rules apply.

Grab your night-vision, and your .22 mag.

Go bag some coyotes at 1 a.m.

-Richard-

Post imported post

A few of my friends take advantage of their AR-15's in this situation.

Good usage for them, I suppose! Just make sure you have a 5 round mag so the DNR doesn't have a cow.
    All opinions posted on opencarry.org are my own, and do not necessarily reflect the views of opencarry.org or Michigan Open Carry Inc.

Post imported post

What ever caliber you choose IMO, if you get it at Gander Mtn. , you will pay through the nose for it.

hidehunter

Post imported post

Michigander wrote:
    autosurgeon wrote:
    ...and Remington softpoints in the SKS.
    Just curious, why the Remington ammo? Does it function better than commie crap in your particular gun?
    Soft points... they work more effectively than the Russian hollow points. Feed better too!

For plinkin I use commie crap

Post imported post

wardog6d wrote:
    Yes its a pretty efficient round I initially purchased a handgun in 17hmr for partridge then after seeing the devistation to the bird, purchased a lon gun. I really would like to find a auto version long gun that isnt $400 or more. I think I paid $160 for the bolt action.
    You can shot gamebirds with a handgun, let alone a rifle cartridge in Michigan? Das iz verboten in Wis.
    Bale da Hay

"Have you Spanked a leftist today; it's the Right thing to do!!!"

Within the gates before a man shall go,
    (Fully warily let him watch,)
    Full long let him look about him;
    For little he knows where a foe may lurk,
    And sit in the seats within.

Havamal (Bellows translation)

Post imported post

autosurgeon wrote:
    Soft points... they work more effectively than the Russian hollow points. Feed better too!

For plinkin I use commie crap
    The 8-4 feed ramp improvement will allow a SKS to smoothly feed just about any ammo you want to use. :celebrate

Post imported post

I have been contemplating doing that... hmmm may have to get that done!