• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Good rifle for coyote hunting

Generaldet

President, CLSD, Inc., Oxford, Michigan, USA
imported post

I'm looking into getting a new rifle for coyote hunting and there's the age old debate between 223 vs. 22-250. Any other suggestions? I'm looking for something moderately priced, nothing too high.

As of now I don't have anything since I just started looking into it, I'm curious to hear from any coyote hunters or anyone else who can offer more insight into a good varmint rifle.

Thanks

Lurchiron

imported post

Generaldet wrote:
I'm looking into getting a new rifle for coyote hunting and there's the age old debate between 223 vs. 22-250. Any other suggestions? I'm looking for something moderately priced, nothing too high.

As of now I don't have anything since I just started looking into it, I'm curious to hear from any coyote hunters or anyone else who can offer more insight into a good varmint rifle.

Thanks

Winchester M70 Coyote Light in 243 Win. MSRP $1069.00

They make them right, and they make them right here(South Carolina).

Guaranteed to shoot 1 moa(100yds.) out of the box.

I just ordered an Extreme Weather SS in 300 Win. mag for $949.00 (retail)

When it comes time to buy a rifle, why not buy "The Rifleman's Rifle" ???

Yooper

imported post

Generaldet wrote:
I'm looking into getting a new rifle for coyote hunting and there's the age old debate between 223 vs. 22-250.  Any other suggestions? I'm looking for something moderately priced, nothing too high.

Thanks

Any thing bigger than a .22 (even though it would probably work) that can thin their numbers a bit is a good coyote gun

Michigander

imported post

I like autosurgeon's cheap and reliable suggestions.

22-250 is an expensive barrel burner. No real need for that much velocity at the distances you're likely to shoot in Michigan. If however, you are planning on going on a hunt in a free state with more range potential, it might be a good idea.

BreakingTheMold

imported post

If you sell hides then anything bigger then a 243 IMO would put two, too big holes in it. 22 wmr works well, but i only use it if they are in the yard.

If you just want to get some time in the field, then as auto surgeon said. Surplus guns and ammo will do the trick, within w/e range you can effectively use them.

I use a bushmaster 223 (carry handle right now, but i'm putting funds together for a flattop) with a Nikon 3x9-40mm. It get's a little heavy, i won't talk it up in that regard. But i've yet to come up against a distance that was too far to take an ethical shot(140-150 yards is generally a long shot for where I hunt). And not losing your target after firing is by far my favorite aspect of the AR platform for hunting.

If you bow hunt, there's no better practice with your compound/recurve/crossbow then coyotes.

1)Average distance of shots
2)weight of the total package
3)Reliability
4)cost of Ammo/availability
5)resale value

Good luck in your hunt for a new rifle, and for 'yotes!

Taurus850CIA

imported post

wardog6d wrote:
Recently just jumped on the 17 hmr band wagon. Havent killed one yet but a freind has and the round worked well.
That's a cool round. Twice the velocity, but half the weight of a .22 rimfire magnum, with roughly equal impact energy. Extremely flat shooting. May as well be a laser. A friend of mine had one. It's a lot of fun.

BreakingTheMold

imported post

The 17HMR is an awesome squirrel/rabbit round. But, maybe i've just seen to many coyotes run off after being hit by one.

• [*].17 HMR, 17 grain V-Max = ME 245 ft. lbs., 185 ft. lbs. at 50 yards, 136 ft. lbs. at 100 yards, 99 ft. lbs. at 150 yards, 72 ft. lbs. at 200 yards. [*].17 HMR, 20 grain XTP = ME 250 ft. lbs., 187 ft. lbs. at 50 yards, 137 ft. lbs. at 100 yards, 99 ft. lbs. at 150 yards, 72 ft. lbs. at 200 yards. [*].22 WMR, 30 grain TNT = ME 325 ft. lbs., 200 ft. lbs. at 50 yards, 120 ft. lbs. at 100 yards, 80 ft. lbs. at 150 yards. [*].22 WMR, 40 grain JHP = ME 324 ft. lbs., 230 ft. lbs. at 50 yards, 162 ft. lbs. at 100 yards.

wardog6d

Banned
imported post

Yes its a pretty efficient round I initially purchased a handgun in 17hmr for partridge then after seeing the devistation to the bird, purchased a lon gun. I really would like to find a auto version long gun that isnt $400 or more. I think I paid $160 for the bolt action.

wardog6d

Banned
imported post

BreakingTheMold wrote:
The 17HMR is an awesome squirrel/rabbit round. But, maybe i've just seen to many coyotes run off after being hit by one.

• [*].17 HMR, 17 grain V-Max = ME 245 ft. lbs., 185 ft. lbs. at 50 yards, 136 ft. lbs. at 100 yards, 99 ft. lbs. at 150 yards, 72 ft. lbs. at 200 yards.
    [*].17 HMR, 20 grain XTP = ME 250 ft. lbs., 187 ft. lbs. at 50 yards, 137 ft. lbs. at 100 yards, 99 ft. lbs. at 150 yards, 72 ft. lbs. at 200 yards.
    [*].22 WMR, 30 grain TNT = ME 325 ft. lbs., 200 ft. lbs. at 50 yards, 120 ft. lbs. at 100 yards, 80 ft. lbs. at 150 yards.
    [*].22 WMR, 40 grain JHP = ME 324 ft. lbs., 230 ft. lbs. at 50 yards, 162 ft. lbs. at 100 yards.
The challange of making a good shot is the coolest part from my perspective. If the shot is good they may run but not far. "Aim small miss small"

Wiz

imported post

I have a Winchester 9422 lever action in .22 Magnum.

Very good for coyotes and assorted other pest control, as it doesn't violate the "Firing after dark" rules that apply to centerfire rifles.

.22 Mag gets the job done well.

Generaldet

President, CLSD, Inc., Oxford, Michigan, USA
imported post

autosurgeon wrote:
I like headshots... hides don't get messed up. They are harder but hey I like a challenge.

Also I use Privi Partizen 180 grain softpoints for the M44 and Remington softpoints in the SKS.
I was thinking headshots at 50-75 yrds with a hollow point from a ruger 10/22 might work, what do you guys think. The last thing I want to do is wound an animal.

Michigander

imported post

I suggest that you wet pack (24 hr soaked phone book) test a .22 HP to see if it's the amount of performance you're looking for. You might want to put a bone from a steak or a piece of wood in front of the wet pack to simulate skull structure.

office888

imported post

Wiz wrote:
I have a Winchester 9422 lever action in .22 Magnum.

Very good for coyotes and assorted other pest control, as it doesn't violate the "Firing after dark" rules that apply to centerfire rifles.

.22 Mag gets the job done well.
+1

.22 Magnum is SUPERB for coyotes.

No late-night hunting rules apply.

Grab your night-vision, and your .22 mag.

Go bag some coyotes at 1 a.m. :D

-Richard-

malignity

imported post

A few of my friends take advantage of their AR-15's in this situation.

Good usage for them, I suppose! :) Just make sure you have a 5 round mag so the DNR doesn't have a cow.