• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC gun grab?

Shotgun

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
imported post

Well consider this: If someone is determined to take another person's gun away all they'd have to do is sneak up behind and plant a baseball bat or pipe in the back of other person's head, then simply take the gun. There is no gun retention technique that can prevent that, other than always being aware of your surroundings 360 degrees 24/7.

We are no more vulnerable to this sort of attack than the police.

Police are expected to apprehend criminals, thus they are more likely to become engaged in a struggle for a gun. They have a statistically greater need for gun retention techniques. I'm sure somewhere somebody can find a case or two of a civilian getting his gun taken away. Undoubtedly there are hundreds and hundreds of cases of police having guns taken away. Many of them are murdered with their own weapons. It appears that the police, even with their training, pose a much greater risk of having their weapon removed by a criminal than the risk of it happening to a non-LEO.

I do encourage everyone to learn and practice gun retention techniques, but the statistical risk is exaggerated. The LEO mentioned in the original post is probably correct that it will happen eventually, but there is absolutely nothing to suggest that the risk is somehow greater for non-LEOs. Quite the opposite.

J.Gleason

Banned
imported post

Landose_theghost wrote:
So I was talking toan oldbuddy of mine, he's aLEO and says he doesn't like any kind of "Civie" carry. He says it's only a matter of time before someone grabs an owners firearm while they're unloading/encasing the firearm and that's going to lead to more guns on the street. I responded with "Well,that's why we need to get rid of the car carry/GFSZ resrictions" He responds with, "No sir, we have those provisions in place to prevent gun violence,And car carry restrictionis for officer safety, if we allowed it,we'd have to assume everyone is armed at all times" :banghead:<-----That statement made me laugh, I mean im no LEO, but isn't that standard procedurefor approaching a vehicle/suspect?And under that logic,how would this change anything if we all could carry ccw & in our vehicles? Also, I realize I kind of got off pacehere guys, but mostly thiswas a "Blowing off some steam" thread. End Rant...

-Landose-
This guy is so full of crap Landose it is coming out his ears!

1FASTC4

imported post

Landose_theghost wrote:
if we allowed it,we'd have to assume everyone is armed at all times"
Well duh. So too would the criminals. I will not be a sheep because many copsare elitist pussies.

Landose_theghost

imported post

Honestly I have to agree with the LEO in respect to the fact that yes, it is a matter of time (although I hope not) before someone unloading and encasing does get held up,and their weapon stolen,probly in the matter shotgun stated above :what:. But this becomes a non-issue if the state would 86the car carry legislation, which forces us to become unarmed victims in the first place. I should have told him, that it's only a matter of time before somebody sues the states a** offbecausethey wereforced to disarm before they got into their car.

Mr.arker

imported post

That type of attitude by police to citizens makes me sick. Maybe we need a law that would require officers to lock their weapon in a gun safe at the station at the end of their shift. No off duty carry except that which is allowed by citizens in their state.
They would be under much less stress, they could drink, go to places with their families and not be required to respond to any problem except with their cell phone.
I had a business that friends of mine on the police dept. would stop in all the time. One time there was going to be a raid on a nearby home for drugs. I allowed the cops to stage from my property. About 10 were in my office getting ready. I knew most of them but was really tight with a couple of them. One of them says,' here, did you see this, these new sights on my Glock." He handed it to me and I thought some of them were going to s##t their pants over a "civilian" holding a gun.