• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Need general OC advice please.

MrArizona

imported post

Let's say you OC into a supermarket or any place of business really. As you stand in line with people in front of you and people behind you:

- What is the best in terms ofhand placement? To the sides? Crossed in front?

- Situational awareness. You don't want to look paranoid, but you definitely do not want to be caught off guard, anywhere. I have a thumb lock on most of my holsters,but regardless,what's the best practice to prevent someone from disarming you from behind? Stand sideways with your holstered hip to the back of the person in front of you?

- Any other tips to practice while in close proximity to other customers of a business?

Thanks for taking the time to elaborate onyour suggestions.

r6-rider

imported post

Iusually stand with my hands half way in my pockets with my forearm covering my pistol. I try not to look sketchy but I try to keep my head on a swivel, especially when around alot of people.

Sonora Rebel

imported post

Dunno your location. (?) I suspect you're a noob. This is my rig... I carry at the 10 O'Clock cross draw. (1911-A1 .45acp in Serpa holster at 45 deg. ) 'Doesn't interfere with the seat belt 'n can draw while seated. The odd pouchcontainsa basic cell phone. The Serpa is positive retention, button release... about $40. No straps to cross the hammer. A gun belt eliminates excessive handling.

Avoid crowds and 'closeness'. Keep your personal space feelers on max. Never sit with your back to the door or entrance area. Dress to the gun... not the beach. This ain't Miami.

Michigander

imported post

In a busy urban environment, a Level II retention holster like Sonora Rebel has should be a minimum for holster security. But minimum does not mean barely sufficient, The Serpa is quite secure, and a wise choice. You can get away with a simple snap thumb brake, but doing so safely requires making sure no one gets too close for comfort, and this can be an obnoxious inconvenience as you go about your daily life.

Personally, I went a step further than the Serpa and got a Level III Safariland rotating hood holster with the extra locking mechanism to block the hood. This is my rig.

gunbelt.jpg

It is about twice as slow on the draw as a Level II Serpa, but it is also more secure.

MrArizona

imported post

Sonora Rebel wrote:
Dunno your location. (?) I suspect you're a noob. This is my rig... I carry at the 10 O'Clock cross draw. (1911-A1 .45acp in Serpa holster at 45 deg. ) 'Doesn't interfere with the seat belt 'n can draw while seated. The odd pouchcontainsa basic cell phone. The Serpa is positive retention, button release... about $40. No straps to cross the hammer. A gun belt eliminates excessive handling.

Avoid crowds and 'closeness'. Keep your personal space feelers on max. Never sit with your back to the door or entrance area. Dress to the gun... not the beach. This ain't Miami.

Arizona. Been carrying for about 7 years now, usually CC. Sometimes I do OC, but never in shorts/tee. I pride myself in dressing well.

I actually owntwo Serpa holsters and the button release mechanism is great, but lately I've been carrying my FEG PA-63 with an IWB leather holster that has a thumb lock. It's those situations in a grocery store line, for example, where people are obviously closer than I'd like and it can't really be helped.

Michigander

imported post

You could probably find a rotating hood Safariland that fits that model, but isn't designed for it. Just gotta find something intended for a different but also smaller framed gun.

MrArizona

imported post

Michigander wrote:
You could probably find a rotating hood Safariland that fits that model, but isn't designed for it. Just gotta find something intended for a different but also smaller framed gun.
Correct. I had to find one designed for aWalther PP. I've dealt with that in the past, when I wastrying to find a decent holsterwith good retention for my CZ 75b stainless...

Dahwg

imported post

MrArizona wrote:
Michigander wrote:
Correct. I had to find one designed for a Walther PP. I've dealt with that in the past, when I was trying to find a decent holster with good retention for my CZ 75b stainless...

Safariland does have holsters that fit the CZ 75B. They are one of the few hoslter makers that make something that specifically fits my CZ P-01. I absolutely love this holster, and I'm just as fast with this as I am with my Serpa. Check out their fit chart:
http://www.safariland.com/DutyGear/... with and without lights-Pistols-11-12-09.pdf