• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Way OT: Ride alongs

ScottyDog

imported post

Every department I've contacted says they dont do them anymore unless you're in the academy, or KCSO said some weird stuff about being in the Civilian academy... huh?

Can one of our members that are in LE enlighten me?

Thanks,

-ScottyDog

Richard6218

imported post

I did one last April with Whatcom County Sheriff -- a real blast -- and one in October with Ferndale PD. When I went back to the Sheriff's Dept for a repeatthey said exactly what you've said here. I think too much of a good thing spoiled the broth .....

Charles Paul Lincoln

imported post

Law enforcement is on hightened security status since the Lakewood shootings. It makes sense that they would not want civilians in the field right now. They have increased liability when civilians are riding with an officer, or at least increased exposure for lawsuit.

Charles

j2l3

imported post

A lot of departments havea "Citizens Academy". Usually lasts 4 - 6 weeks, one night or so a week for a couple of hours.

It's an effortto let the public know what they do and how. It does NOT qualify you to do anything for them.

University of Washington PD had one my wife attended. They told her the usual lies about guns on campus being illegal and you'd be arrested. I had to show her the WAC's and RCW's to convince her she had been lied to.

The rest of the class was pretty good and educational for her.

Seattle's FBI office holds one once or twice a year too....

okkid

imported post

I go om them all the time here but I have a friend that is a cop.Never been told anything like that.I will ask my friend and maybe get some answers.

It is a blast and has its downsides as well.You see stuff that all you can say is WOW people are nuts when there drunk and on drugs.

jchen012

imported post

I think they meant Citizen's Acamdey, not Civilian. Police officers are still civilians. The only non civilians are members of the military.

Richard6218

imported post

jchen012 wrote:
I think they meant Citizen's Acamdey, not Civilian. Police officers are still civilians. The only non civilians are members of the military.
Even though they are civil law enforcement, police still refer to Citizens as "civilians" as opposed to LE. It's just established custom with them.

Richard6218

imported post

kito109654 wrote:
I signed up for one in

Edmonds

Lynnwood

and Everett.

NONE of them ever got back to me. ETA: this is over 3 months after me signing up.
You're dealing with government bureaucracy. Don't wait for them to act -- give them a call, or drop by their office. The squeaky wheel gets the grease. Three months is a respectable time

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

Did a ride along a couple of years ago to write something for a local forum I was hanging out on at the time. Was pretty fun, let them know what I was looking to do, and spent a couple of hours with 'em. Monday afternoon, pretty boring shift, but they didn't allow ride alongs during the interesting times LOL. Not sure I'd want to do it again, but I think it's something worth doing once.

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Last ride a long I was on was with a friend who was a deputy. While I couldn't take my own firearm. He did make sure I knew how to unlock and remove the shotgun in the car, in case of trouble.