• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Range at your house?

Smithc11369

imported post

Hey guys, I brought this up on another post but I just wanted to make a new topic to make it more broadly visable.I'm looking to see if anyone has a "range" at their house or somewhere else that trusted people can come out and shoot at. I enjoy going out to the range out in Manchester but some of the limits and rules just get annoying after a while. I'm almost 21 and I'll be soon shooting a pistol and I'm gonna want to practice pulls from a holster and rapid firing.Two things your not aloud to do at the sharonville range. Thanks for any info and thanks for looking.

Michigander

imported post

State land with a safe back stop is legal to target shoot at. This is the reason why the Pit exists in Lapeer.

What would be nice is if someone has a Plat book handy, maybe they could chart out a bunch of ideal shootin' spots.

T Vance

imported post

Michigander wrote:
State land with a safe back stop is legal to target shoot at.
Just to clarify, if I was on state land and wanted to target practice, basically all I have to do is find a hill to shoot at, correct?

lil_freak_66

imported post

T Vance wrote:
Michigander wrote:
Just to clarify, if I was on state land and wanted to target practice, basically all I have to do is find a hill to shoot at, correct?

i do it all the time on the public land in clinton county,after asking the dnr officers at the rose lake range if it was legal.they said of course,so long as i dont shoot any animals i dont have a permit to shoot.

and ive done things from rapid fire,going from standing to prone and fire.....long range firing(200 yds for my 10/22)

and that area is good for just walking around,alright scenery,and it helps perfect your sling carry technique.

also usually its practically empty,except during firearmdeer season....stay the f*** away from there during then,sounds more like baghdad than a hunting area.and ive had close calls with being shot at practically every year ive been there for opening day.

but yeah...sorry about rambling on,you CAN target practice on state land,and national forests,with no real restrictions on how you can practice,compared to most if not all michigan ranges

Leader

imported post

Michigander wrote:
State land with a safe back stop is legal to target shoot at. This is the reason why the Pit exists in Lapeer.

What would be nice is if someone has a Plat book handy, maybe they could chart out a bunch of ideal shootin' spots.
Keep in mind that some state recreation areas are closed to shooting from April to Sept.

mikestilly

imported post

lil_freak_66 wrote:
T Vance wrote:
Michigander wrote:

i do it all the time on the public land in clinton county,after asking the dnr officers at the rose lake range if it was legal.they said of course,so long as i dont shoot any animals i dont have a permit to shoot.

and ive done things from rapid fire,going from standing to prone and fire.....long range firing(200 yds for my 10/22)

and that area is good for just walking around,alright scenery,and it helps perfect your sling carry technique.

also usually its practically empty,except during firearm deer season....stay the f*** away from there during then,sounds more like baghdad than a hunting area.and ive had close calls with being shot at practically every year ive been there for opening day.

but yeah...sorry about rambling on,you CAN target practice on state land,and national forests,with no real restrictions on how you can practice,compared to most if not all michigan ranges

I've never yet shot at state land because the shooting spots I know about are quite the drive to get to. Anyone know if any places near Warren? I know nothings going to directly in the city but I shouldn't really have to drive an hour+ to find some land to shoot on I would think.

~Mike

lil_freak_66

imported post

the furthest south public land im aware of(keep in mind i said to my knowledge,and not that there is or isnt anything further south)

than some small spots near jackson,and then the stuff in clinton and shiawassee county.

improbably wrong though..