• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Preemption 2010

Article1section23

imported post

I have also posted this to other sites to helpkeep this billmoving in the right direction. The more calls he gets the better....

Guys,

Everybody should both call and email the Speaker: Ronald Richard and ask what committee that HB 2150 is going to? It would be nice to have it go to the Agri-Business. Brian Munzlinger is the Chair and helped it pass last year.

We need to get on this, as this bill needs to get a lot of attention.
Speaker Ronald Richard: Phone: 573-751-2173 E-Mail: Ronald.Richard@house.mo.gov

This is the bill we want to focus on this year and they need to hear from us. If you get a response from his office, please post it for us!

Thanks!!

Broondog

imported post

email sent and call made.

Judy, the lady who answered the phone at his office, said she would pass along my request to nudge the bill into committee, and my support of same.

i did my part.......who's next?

Article1section23

imported post

Broondog wrote:
email sent and call made.

Judy, the lady who answered the phone at his office, said she would pass along my request to nudge the bill into committee, and my support of same.

i did my part.......who's next?

Thanks BD!

I've sent two emails so far..lol...wonder how many they get. I was told that they get assigned to committee's on Wednesdays? When you call, make sure that they take a note that you want this bill put in the Agri-business committee.

Give Judy a big THANK YOU!

Griz

imported post

Looks like the whole site is down.

Article1section23

imported post

Guys,

Please take 3 mintues andcall and email the Speaker: Ronald Richard and ask what committee that HB 2150 is going to? It would be nice to have it go to the Agri-Business. Brian Munzlinger is the Chair and helped it pass last year.

We need to get on this, as this bill needs to get a lot of attention.
Speaker Ronald Richard: Phone: 573-751-2173 E-Mail: Ronald.Richard@house.mo.gov

This is the bill we want to focus on this year and they need to hear from us. If you call or get a response from his office, please post it for us!

This only gets done if people get behind it.

If the wording is in Bold it is being added and if it is in between square brackets [ ****] it is going to be removed.

Here is the bill info below:

SECOND REGULAR SESSION
HOUSE BILL NO. 2150
95TH GENERAL ASSEMBLY

INTRODUCED BY REPRESENTATIVES LARGENT (Sponsor), MUNZLINGER, DUSENBERG, PARKINSON, LEARA AND SMITH (150) (Co-sponsors).
]D. ADAM CRUMBLISS, Chief Clerk

[line]
AN ACT
To repeal section 21.750, RSMo, and to enact in lieu thereof one new section relating to firearms.

[line]
Be it enacted by the General Assembly of the state of Missouri, as follows:

Section A. Section 21.750, RSMo, is repealed and one new section enacted in lieu thereof, to be known as section 21.750, to read as follows:

21.750. 1. The general assembly finds that uniform laws are necessary to protect the fundamental right to keep and bear arms secured in section 23, article I, Constitution of Missouri and Amendment II of the Constitution of the United States and hereby occupies and preempts the entire field of legislation touching in any way firearms, components, ammunition and supplies to the complete exclusion of any order, ordinance or regulation by any political subdivision of this state. Any existing or future orders, ordinances or regulations in this field are hereby and shall be null and void except as provided in subsection 3 of this section.

2. No county, city, town, village, municipality, or other political subdivision of this state shall adopt any order, ordinance or regulation concerning in any way the sale, purchase, purchase delay, transfer, ownership, use, keeping, possession, bearing, transportation, licensing, permit, registration, taxation [other than sales and compensating use taxes or other controls on firearms], components, ammunition, and supplies except as provided in subsection 3 of this section.

3. Nothing contained in this section shall prohibit any ordinance of any political subdivision which conforms exactly with any of the provisions of sections 571.010 to 571.070, RSMo, with appropriate penalty provisions, [or which regulates the open carrying of firearms readily capable of lethal use] or the discharge of firearms within a jurisdiction, provided such ordinance complies with the provisions of section 252.243, RSMo, and incorporates the justification defenses found in chapter 563.

4. The lawful design, marketing, manufacture, distribution, or sale of firearms or ammunition to the public is not an abnormally dangerous activity and does not constitute a public or private nuisance.

5. No county, city, town, village or any other political subdivision nor the state shall bring suit or have any right to recover against any firearms or ammunition manufacturer, trade association or dealer for damages, abatement or injunctive relief resulting from or relating to the lawful design, manufacture, marketing, distribution, or sale of firearms or ammunition to the public. This subsection shall apply to any suit pending as of October 12, 2003, as well as any suit which may be brought in the future. Provided, however, that nothing in this section shall restrict the rights of individual citizens to recover for injury or death caused by the negligent or defective design or manufacture of firearms or ammunition.

6. Nothing in this section shall prevent the state, a county, city, town, village or any other political subdivision from bringing an action against a firearms or ammunition manufacturer or dealer for breach of contract or warranty as to firearms or ammunition purchased by the state or such political subdivision.

7. In addition to any other relief provided, the court shall award reasonable attorney fees, expenses, and court costs to any person, group, or entity that prevails in an action challenging:

(1) An ordinance, resolution, or motion as being in conflict with this section; or

(2) An administrative action taken in bad faith as being in conflict with this section.

brolin_1911a1

imported post

I encountered my representative, Ward Franz, in the rain tonight (3/21/10) in the local Wal-mart parking lot. I asked him about HB 2150 and he said that it is his understanding that a hearing is to be conducted within the next week. Rep. Munzlinger, one of the co-sponsors, chairs the House Agri-business committee and Rep. Franz expected that to be the committee holding the hearing. It was nothing definitive, simply what he'd "heard" regarding it.

Broondog

imported post

ok guys, i just emailed both Scott Largent, sponsor of the Bill, and Brian Munzlinger, the co-sponsor to see if they can put a bug in the right persons ear to get this moving along. here are their web pages....

http://house.mo.gov/member.aspx?district=120

http://house.mo.gov/member.aspx?district=001

let's keep the pressure on everybody we can think of. the only other thing i can think of is to stand outside of the capitol building with a sign.

are there any other bright ideas?

brolin_1911a1

imported post

Okay, I just called House Speaker Ron Richard's office and asked what the hang-up is on HB2150. After giving me the usual spiel of how over 2,000 bills get introduced and only a few of the most important get hearings and votes, the secretary finally said that an important part of the process is a letter from the sponsor requesting the bill be assigned to committee. The Speaker's office has no such letter on file from any of the sponsors of HB2150.

I got Rep. Scott Largent's voice mail when I called. That's not surprising. The House is in session right now, scheduled to adjourn for lunch at 12 noon and reconvene at 3:00 p.m. I'll try to be near a phone so that I can call both Rep. Largent and Rep. Munzlinger and ask that they send that letter as soon as possible. I suggest others here do the same. One can find their numbers by going to http://www.moga.mo.gov or http://house.mo.gov and looking under the list of House members.

Article1section23

imported post

brolin_1911a1 wrote:
Okay, I just called House Speaker Ron Richard's office and asked what the hang-up is on HB2150. After giving me the usual spiel of how over 2,000 bills get introduced and only a few of the most important get hearings and votes, the secretary finally said that an important part of the process is a letter from the sponsor requesting the bill be assigned to committee. The Speaker's office has no such letter on file from any of the sponsors of HB2150.

I got Rep. Scott Largent's voice mail when I called. That's not surprising. The House is in session right now, scheduled to adjourn for lunch at 12 noon and reconvene at 3:00 p.m. I'll try to be near a phone so that I can call both Rep. Largent and Rep. Munzlinger and ask that they send that letter as soon as possible. I suggest others here do the same. One can find their numbers by going to http://www.moga.mo.gov or http://house.mo.gov and looking under the list of House members.

Ok. I just got off the phone with Patty in the Speakers office (and email from Largent's office). Speakers office did have a letter from Largent, they got it on 2/20, requesting it be sent to committee. The speakers office is going to email me back, I also left name and # again, asking if they have even looked at the bill.

We still need people to call and give them, name, #, email and tell them you want to know what the hold up is and that you want to be called back and emailed with the progress and why its not getting assigned to a committee.

Be nice and respectful. Please call Speaker's office again if you have called before. Good job B, I just posted asking about hold up on missouricarry.

Broondog

imported post

Rep Munzlinger just responded to the email i sent him and stated, and i quote...

"At this point I would encourage amending on another bill."

i admit i'm not the sharpest when it comes to the legislative process, so how would we accomplish this?

Article1section23

imported post

Broondog wrote:
Rep Munzlinger just responded to the email i sent him and stated, and i quote...

"At this point I would encourage amending on another bill."

i admit i'm not the sharpest when it comes to the legislative process, so how would we accomplish this?

Lets say one of the bills that passed Munzlingers committee already, like the one to lower age to 21 for ccw,they would add the language of hb2150 as a rider or attachment and it would get a vote to allow it on the bill or not. If allowed, then it would become part of the bill and be sent to the senate. Who, could take it out, pass the original bill and send it back to the house.

Broondog..your doing a great job on this bill!!

http://house.mo.gov/billtracking/bills101/rules/rules.pdf

We are getting screwed here and I think Munz might be right, but we still have time for a stand alone bill, just not a lot of it.