• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Draw Or No Draw

M

McX

imported post

2 to the chest, stop and evaluate, if criminal is still an active threat; one to the head. then your done. i presume misses don't count. that's what i was taught.

AaronS

imported post

McX wrote:
i don't know about remaining in control Lurchiron, i wouldn't be in control of much, myself, and my firearm. i would be gambling that the criminal wants the money, and not to shoot anyone, i would probably be a target the minute he zeroes in on me, probably hunkered down behind the beer cases, and bags of dog food. i wouldn't be advancing, only defending. i just hope the clerk doesn't freeze, nor not cooperate, and just give up the cash. again, i stress, i have no police authority, i have no obligation to protect anyone else, nor any obligation to stop a crime. i know that sounds terrible, but it might keep me from doing 20 years somewhere. the clerk is responsible for their own safety, they should be carrying as i would, or have one planted under the counter in reach. if the clerk starts to fumble, and the criminal becomes insistant, and his attention, angrily, is drawn back to the clerk, and he readies to shoot, rather than just waving the gun around-brandishing in the extreme- so to speak, then yes, i would deem that the clerk is going to get it, and move from cover to intercept.
Good call on all points.

J.Gleason

Banned
imported post

McX wrote:
ref; the store robbery at apu's; if the scumbag has the gun on the clerk, but is looking me over, most likely he is facing the clerk, since i'm deep in the store, any shot would be out toward the front of the usually glass front of the building. a .40 cal might go through the 'bag, and out into the public domain. backstop issue to me. also since the 'bag is facing the clerk, my shot would probably be a shot to the back. i wonder if that one might run me afoul of the DA. and then ofcourse, as all commented, there is the risk of hitting the poor clerk. i would still stick with, down and draw, and cover. if it was apparent the scum was about to shoot the clerk, i would have to weigh my decisions at that moment.
It is called the greater danger theory. There would be a greater danger of someone being seriously injured or killed if you don't act then if you do. Therefore the issue of the glass window becomes the less dangerous option.

BROKENSPROKET

imported post

I would be writing a book if I replied to all these scenarios.

I began comteplating such scenarios in place of counting sheep long before you saterted this thread. NO OFFENSE. I love the scenarios you come up with. Now I can shoot a few more sheep.

If I did post, I would probably start debates between NO OBLIGATION vs. CHRISTIAN DUTY. I would add 'defend the helpless', to feed the hungry, clothe the naked, shelter the homeless, and counsel the lonely.

Carry On & Carry Always!

M

McX

imported post

i wouldn't honor me too much on the apu scenario; if i did have to rise from cover to nail th bad guy, my battle cry would be; this isn't my job, i'm not getting paid to do this!:)

M

McX

imported post

dang, i guess he who starts the thread must carry it. it's sunday today, and my day off, so i expect double time for this, or at least time and a half. trying to stay relevant here. this one is pretty much a slam dunk, but it's a real possible scenario, so away we go; your traveling in wisconsin, by interstate. you stop for gas, and the call of nature at a small truck stop. you go through the car carry bit, and holster up, check the building as you go in, no- no firearms signs there. go in, pay for your gas, and head to the head, so to speak. it's a relatively clean 3 staller. you saunter past the ever present condom dispensing machine, and choose the stall to the wall. you own the place, at the moment. you've settled in and are running complex mathematical calculations in your head, and solving the mysteries of the universe, when you hear the washroom door open. your firearm is in location (fill in the blank). suddenly the stall door next to you opens, and some guy is standing on the toilet next to you, peering down over the wall, with a knife in his hand. he's not close enough to carve you, but he's there. now there's another one outside your stall door, yanking on it. you can't see what he's got, or not got on him. your just sitting there, your in mid stream so to speak..............draw or no draw?

Lurchiron

imported post

McX wrote:
dang, i guess he who starts the thread must carry it. it's sunday today, and my day off, so i expect double time for this, or at least time and a half. trying to stay relevant here. this one is pretty much a slam dunk, but it's a real possible scenario, so away we go; your traveling in wisconsin, by interstate. you stop for gas, and the call of nature at a small truck stop. you go through the car carry bit, and holster up, check the building as you go in, no- no firearms signs there. go in, pay for your gas, and head to the head, so to speak. it's a relatively clean 3 staller. you saunter past the ever present condom dispensing machine, and choose the stall to the wall. you own the place, at the moment. you've settled in and are running complex mathematical calculations in your head, and solving the mysteries of the universe, when you hear the washroom door open. your firearm is in location (fill in the blank). suddenly the stall door next to you opens, and some guy is standing on the toilet next to you, peering down over the wall, with a knife in his hand. he's not close enough to carve you, but he's there. now there's another one outside your stall door, yanking on it. you can't see what he's got, or not got on him. your just sitting there, your in mid stream so to speak..............draw or no draw?
Flush the guy with the knife, let the other guy know thathe's next; while maintaining cover. Hope for the cavalry if he doesn't leave.

M

McX

imported post

i'll chime in on this one; the x factors alarm me on this one. duty to retreat is gone, i ain't got nowhere to go. i'm the fish in the barrel. the guy outside the door is a bad x factor, don't know if he's got a gun pointed at my stall door, or nothing. if he starts blasting i'm screwed, no positive target, no assured back stop, and that flimsy can door ain't gonna stop a round, nor hold up to his assault long. i can't stand up cause then i'm a larger target, and in range of the chump hanging over the wall, with knife in hand next to me. since i go condition 3, i'd brandish to the guy on the wall, and rack one in for the audio benefit of all concerned, and hope like hell the guy on the wall disappears, the guy outside my door disappears, and i hear the sound of feet being beat out of there. it's a no win possibilty to me.

Lurchiron

imported post

McX wrote:
i'll chime in on this one; the x factors alarm me on this one. duty to retreat is gone, i ain't got nowhere to go. i'm the fish in the barrel. the guy outside the door is a bad x factor, don't know if he's got a gun pointed at my stall door, or nothing. if he starts blasting i'm screwed, no positive target, no assured back stop, and that flimsy can door ain't gonna stop a round, nor hold up to his assault long. i can't stand up cause then i'm a larger target, and in range of the chump hanging over the wall, with knife in hand next to me. since i go condition 3, i'd brandish to the guy on the wall, and rack one in for the audio benefit of all concerned, and hope like hell the guy on the wall disappears, the guy outside my door disappears, and i hear the sound of feet being beat out of there. it's a no win possibilty to me.

You make a good argument for "keeping one in the pipe", as I don't think the guy with the knife is going to take kindly to you racking one home; in his presence.

As for the mystery (wo)man... well, no see; no shoot.

M

McX

imported post

well, one thing is for sure. if i survived the situation, it would have a definite laxative effect on me. hope they gave me a full roll on that stall. after i quit shaking, i would stop to wash my hands, as is correct, before i went back to my regularly scheduled programming.:lol:

Lurchiron

imported post

McX wrote:
well, one thing is for sure. if i survived the situation, it would have a definite laxative effect on me. hope they gave me a full roll on that stall. after i quit shaking, i would stop to wash my hands, as is correct, before i went back to my regularly scheduled programming.:lol:
Just make sure that there's no congressman tapping his shoe under your stall... before "dumpin". :what:

Interceptor_Knight

imported post

J.Gleason wrote:
Interceptor_Knight wrote:
Do not draw immediately. Wait for him to move. Do not let him know you are armed. Since you are in the back, you have time. Best case is that he takes the money and runs. A cool head will prevail. Going only by your description of the scenerio, if you were to instantly draw and fire at the felonbut hit the clerk, you will be successfully prosecuted.
Are you sure about that? Can you please enlighten us on how you can predict what a jury of 12 would decide?

I would say, you would possibly be prosecuted if the DA was so inclined to open the can of worms that most other DA's wouldn't. Would that prosecution be successful? Only the jury could answer that. IMHO there is only a very slim chance.
I will concede that the will should be changed to a may as you may get lucky.

I stand by the premise that we are not cops and we are governed by a different set of rules. We may only fire in defense and we are responsible for every bullet which comes out of our barrel, even more so than the police. Their job may be on the line, but since it is not our job nor even our legal right to stop a crime in progress, we have a higher chance of being criminally prosecuted.
If you are at the other end of the store as the scenerio suggests and the felon does not see you yet, you can not claim that you were in immediate danger. How can you claim that you were defending the clerk if you end up shooting them?

Yelling for the felon to stop , especially yelling "Police" after he lowerd the firearm is not acting in a defensive manor. Be prepared to be prosecuted as no one is in immediate danger and you are not allowed to use deadly force to defend property. If you are such a lucky person that you have zero fear of ever being prosecuted for such questionable actions, you should go to Vegas beforeyour luck runs out...;)

J.Gleason

Banned
imported post

Again, I stand by my initial statement:

I would say, you would possibly be prosecuted if the DA was so inclined to open the can of worms that most other DA's wouldn't. Would that prosecution be successful? Only the jury could answer that. IMHO there is only a very slim chance.

A chance I would be willing to take to save someone's life.

BROKENSPROKET

imported post

Fatch wrote:
No Draw again. Once more, there must be no hesitation between a draw and a shot. You never draw to threaten.

Yes I Will!!

IF I ever encounter a situation where someone has a gun pointed at someone else. First, I will very quickly evaluate the situation the best I can. I never want to draw on an off duty or under cover officer, or aman who has a gun pointed at another for something like raping his daughter.

IF my evaluation leads me to believe that the person with the gun is or attempting to rob, mug, molest, or assault with malicious intent, then I will draw andget his attention.

If he runs or puts the gun down, NO SHOOT.

IF the barrel of his weapon begins move in my direction, then I will SHOOT.

davegran

Cassville Area -Twelve Miles From Anything, Wiscon
imported post

McX wrote:
dang, i guess he who starts the thread must carry it...............draw or no draw?
McX,
You have such an obvious talent for concocting scenarios, why not join IDPA and turn your ideas into live fire situations. They are always looking for new ideas to challenge the shooters and I have no doubt you could do that!

PS, I think the toilet problem should include a newspaper to read....
wj9v0g.jpg

Dave

M

McX

imported post

i don't know what the idpa is. thanks for the compliment though. just something to kill time, and get the members talking and thinking on a cold winter night. i usually when i go somewhere, i start running the possibilities. kinda like looking to see where the fire extinuighers are located when your somewhere. preplan helps prevent. i see the dancing bannana has some new moves! technology advances! i've about run out of scenarios, so i have to sit, and wait for someone else to chime in now. the can one hits me every time i use a public washroom, i must confess.

J.Gleason

Banned
imported post

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/35403980/ns/us_news-crime_and_courts

updated 2 hours, 51 minutes ago

RICHMOND, Calif. - Police were seeking a hooded gunman who horrified the congregation of a San Francisco Bay area church when he paced the aisles then pulled out a gun and shot two teenagers.
No arrests had been made or suspects named in the Sunday shooting at New Gethsemane Church of God in Christ in Richmond, police said.
The gunman flanked by two companions in hooded sweatshirts walked into the church, scanned the pews and fired about five shots, hitting a 14-year-old boy and a 19-year-old man in front of about 100 people, Richmond police Sgt. Bisa French said.
Charles Miller, a 64-year-old deacon at the church, said members of the congregation were about to tell the men to take off their hoods when the shooting began.'Everyone hit the floor'
"I was listening to the choir and all of a sudden there was a 'pop pop pop pop pop,'" Miller told the San Francisco Chronicle. "Everyone hit the floor. I didn't know the shooting was inside the church at first, until I heard all of the hollering and screaming."
The 14-year-old was hit in the shoulder and the 19-year-old was struck in the leg, French said. Both victims, whose names haven't been released, were hospitalized and were expected to survive. There were no other injuries.
"It's terrible when you come to the house of the Lord and start doing this," Miller said. "It's just something you don't do."
Investigators believe the men were targeting someone in the church but don't know if the two who were hit were the intended targets, French said.

French said investigators were interviewing witnesses to see if anyone recognized the men.
A handful of congregants returned to the church after police processed the crime scene and finished the service.
"We went on and had church anyway," Miller told the Chronicle. "We were giving thanks that nobody was killed. We wanted to go and serve the Lord anyway."
The small, off-white two-story church is surrounded by a red-and white wrought-iron fence in a residential section of Richmond, a city of 103,000 on the eastern Bay shoreline north of Oakland and Berkeley.
The city has already seen seven homicides in 2010, and garnered national attention because of the alleged gang rape by as many as 10 people of a 16-year-old girl outside an October homecoming dance at Richmond High School, with as many as 20 bystanders allegedly watching.

What about this? Would you draw now?

For me there is no question. I would have drawn and fired at the church incident and with out a doubt drawn at the rape incident and fired if attacked by the rapists as obviously all of the bystanders were not going to do anything to stop the rapist's activity.

M

McX

imported post

dang, getting so you can't even go to church now! and my minister wonders why i roust him about church carry? if an open carrier would have been present maybe the bg's would have decided otherwise. Minister: we will now pause in prayer, to allow the congregation to reload. no smiley faces on this one.

Lurchiron

imported post

J.Gleason wrote:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/35403980/ns/us_news-crime_and_courts

updated 2 hours, 51 minutes ago

RICHMOND, Calif. - Police were seeking a hooded gunman who horrified the congregation of a San Francisco Bay area church when he paced the aisles then pulled out a gun and shot two teenagers.
No arrests had been made or suspects named in the Sunday shooting at New Gethsemane Church of God in Christ in Richmond, police said.
The gunman flanked by two companions in hooded sweatshirts walked into the church, scanned the pews and fired about five shots, hitting a 14-year-old boy and a 19-year-old man in front of about 100 people, Richmond police Sgt. Bisa French said.
Charles Miller, a 64-year-old deacon at the church, said members of the congregation were about to tell the men to take off their hoods when the shooting began.'Everyone hit the floor'
"I was listening to the choir and all of a sudden there was a 'pop pop pop pop pop,'" Miller told the San Francisco Chronicle. "Everyone hit the floor. I didn't know the shooting was inside the church at first, until I heard all of the hollering and screaming."
The 14-year-old was hit in the shoulder and the 19-year-old was struck in the leg, French said. Both victims, whose names haven't been released, were hospitalized and were expected to survive. There were no other injuries.
"It's terrible when you come to the house of the Lord and start doing this," Miller said. "It's just something you don't do."
Investigators believe the men were targeting someone in the church but don't know if the two who were hit were the intended targets, French said.

French said investigators were interviewing witnesses to see if anyone recognized the men.
A handful of congregants returned to the church after police processed the crime scene and finished the service.
"We went on and had church anyway," Miller told the Chronicle. "We were giving thanks that nobody was killed. We wanted to go and serve the Lord anyway."
The small, off-white two-story church is surrounded by a red-and white wrought-iron fence in a residential section of Richmond, a city of 103,000 on the eastern Bay shoreline north of Oakland and Berkeley.
The city has already seen seven homicides in 2010, and garnered national attention because of the alleged gang rape by as many as 10 people of a 16-year-old girl outside an October homecoming dance at Richmond High School, with as many as 20 bystanders allegedly watching.

What about this? Would you draw now?

For me there is no question. I would have drawn and fired at the church incident and with out a doubt drawn at the rape incident and fired if attacked by the rapists as obviously all of the bystanders were not going to do anything to stop the rapist's activity.

Sounds like the whole damn town has a clearcut case of, "Spare the rod; and spoil the child".

Can you imagine, having your opponent out-numbered 100 to 3, and still you let them terrorize you?

People of Richmond; where is your GRIT???

davegran

Cassville Area -Twelve Miles From Anything, Wiscon
imported post

McX wrote:
i don't know what the idpa is...... i see the dancing bannana has some new moves! technology advances! ....
The International Defensive Pistol Association (IDPA) is the governing body of a shooting sport that simulates self-defense scenarios and real life encounters. We shoot at a variety of targets that simulate bad guys both stationary and moving, learn to draw from OC and concealment, reload under pressure, clear malfunctions, move and shoot from cover, and solve tactical shooting problems using live ammunition against the clock. You will become very comfortable, more accurate, and safe using your firearm.

Website at http://www.idpa.com/

Local club at http://www.racineidpa.com/

New-moves Banana is visiting from another site, courtesy of "Insert Image".

Dave