• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Judge's ruling ends Seattle's gun ban

44Brent

imported post

http://www.king5.com/news/local/Judges-ruling-ends-Seattles-gun-ban-84272067.html

by SUSANNAH FRAME / KING5 News

Posted on February 12, 2010 at 4:16 PM

Updated today at 4:17 PM

SEATTLE - A Judge has just ruled that the city of Seattle ban on guns on city property is illegal, effectively ending the ban.

The 2nd Amendment Foundation, the National Rifle Association, and several individuals, including a gay rights activist and a Department of Corrections worker sued the City of Seattle and former Mayor Greg Nickels in October. They demanded the city repeal a controversial ban on guns in places like parks and community centers.

The individual plaintiffs say they're suing not just on principal, but because they now "fear for their safety", according to their lawsuit.

King County Superior Court JudgeCatherine Shaffermade the ruling today after the plaintiff’s filed a motion for Summary Judgment and prevailed.

SpyderTattoo

imported post

SWEET VICTORY!! This will go a LOOOOOOOONG way as far as other cities trying to do the same thing. THIS IS THE BEST NEWS I'VE HEARD ALL DAY!

OrangeIsTrouble

imported post

Wow that was fast.

It wasn't really much of a win for us, since it was something they stole, and apparently now have to give back.

Nevertheless, :celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate

Jeff Hayes

imported post

antispam540 wrote:
Is this for real? How long will this take to go into effect, ie. when can we carry in Seattle again with impunity?

It never was real, so it never was in effect, you always could carry in Seattle with impunity.

This is good news for those of us in Spokane.

Dave Workman

imported post

I'll be writing a special GUN RIGHTS EXAMINER column on this to be released later this evening after I go through the legal document and round up all the details.

IIRC, there were some folks on this forum who thought SAF's lawsuit would never work, that it was the wrong approach, blah blah blah.

I talked to our attorney and suggested that the first round of drinks should be charged to Greg Nickels.

more later.

Bill Starks

State Researcher
imported post

GreatWhiteLlama wrote:
=)

We never were told how much it had cost to put the signs up. I wonder how much it will cost to remove them.
It cost over 10K for the signs and their placement. Hmm, I'll help take them down for free.... I wonder if they would let us??

amlevin

imported post

With this summary judgement I wonder if all those cities and counties in Washington that have been ignoring their "preempted ordinances" and waiting to see if Seattle was able to prevail will NOW take appropriate action. Ditto for those that are attempting to enact similar ordinances.

BTW, Violation of most provisions of RCW 9.41 is a Gross Misdemeanor and unless a specific penalty is spelled out, by State Law one can be incarcerated in the County Jail for a period up to one year. Why is it that this provision only applys to US, the gun owner, and not the politicians that violate RCW 9.41.290 who seem to do so willingly and without fear of prosecution. What's wrong here?

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
imported post

M1Gunr wrote:
GreatWhiteLlama wrote:
=)

We never were told how much it had cost to put the signs up. I wonder how much it will cost to remove them.
It cost over 10K for the signs and their placement. Hmm, I'll help take them down for free.... I wonder if they would let us??

+1 I will charge up my Makita drill tonite! Perhaps after the Dixie's lunch tomorrow a special trip to a Seattle park!
I'll be writing a special GUN RIGHTS EXAMINER column on this to be released later this evening after I go through the legal document and round up all the details.

IIRC, there were some folks on this forum who thought SAF's lawsuit would never work, that it was the wrong approach, blah blah blah.

I talked to our attorney and suggested that the first round of drinks should be charged to Greg Nickels.

more later.
Dave ~ while some malign you and SAF, I do not! I would buy you or Alan a drink anytime.

deanf

imported post

I've sent my email to the Port of Seattle commissioner's. They've been waiting to see what happened with Seattle. I explained quite clearly that their rule, and Seattle's invalid rule are, legally speaking, exactly the same.

Gray Peterson

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

Folks,

I hate to be the killjoy here, but the Injunction takes effect on Wednesday the 17th, not immediately. The city asked for time to send out some memorandums and training advisories to let them their employees to not kick gun owners out, and they were granted it.

The order should be posted early next week. The judge had to hand write some of the order and I believe it's being changed to the official Superior Court electronic format early next week.

A transcription of the hearing will be forthcoming soon, as well. Judge Schaefer made some really good points during her discussions that I heard.

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Gray Peterson wrote:
Folks,

I hate to be the killjoy here, but the Injunction takes effect on Wednesday the 17th, not immediately. The city asked for time to send out some memorandums and training advisories to let them their employees to not kick gun owners out, and they were granted it.
However Gray, I do not believe they would enforce anything at this point. Plus they have their hands full with the bus tunnel.

Gray Peterson

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

gogodawgs wrote:
Gray Peterson wrote:
Folks,

However Gray, I do not believe they would enforce anything at this point. Plus they have their hands full with the bus tunnel.
Your call.

arms_libertas

imported post

So... Does anyone think this will prompt Seattle Public Library to remove their existing prohibition of firearms?

RULES OF CONDUCT
For the comfort and safety of patrons, volunteers, and staff, and the protection of Library property, the following actions are examples of conduct not allowed on Library property:

Category E (Serious Violation Toward Person(s) or Property)

• Possession, except by law enforcement officers, of a firearm on Library property.

http://www.spl.org/default.asp?pageID=about_policies_conduct