• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Judge's ruling ends Seattle's gun ban

usaf0906

imported post

arms_libertas wrote:
So... Does anyone think this will prompt Seattle Public Library to remove their existing prohibition of firearms?

RULES OF CONDUCT
For the comfort and safety of patrons, volunteers, and staff, and the protection of Library property, the following actions are examples of conduct not allowed on Library property:

Category E (Serious Violation Toward Person(s) or Property)

• Possession, except by law enforcement officers, of a firearm on Library property.

http://www.spl.org/default.asp?pageID=about_policies_conduct
OC there, if they enforce it and you get cited or arrested, you have an easy lawsuit to win.

Dave Workman

imported post

gogodawgs wrote:
Dave ~ while some malign you and SAF, I do not!  I would buy you or Alan a drink anytime.

Yeah?

Well, maybe a STARBUCKS, eh?

:celebrate :lol: :celebrate :lol:

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Dave Workman wrote:
gogodawgs wrote:
Dave ~ while some malign you and SAF, I do not! I would buy you or Alan a drink anytime.

Yeah?

Well, maybe a STARBUCKS, eh?

:celebrate :lol: :celebrate :lol:
Absolutely! Anytime any Starbucks! (well I am a workin man so we have to work around schedules and such!)
beer%20chug.gif

DEROS72

imported post

Personally I won't go to a park untill after the 17th.No need to. I don't want to show up for the sake of showing off, makes us look like a bunch of gloating a.ses.I wasn't planning a trip to a park this weekend so why would I go now.Now that I know I can go when I want .....Thats plenty..

Lammo

imported post

New Daddy wrote:
Can't the city appeal this ruling to a higher court?
They can and Nickels clearly would. I don't do many appeals but IIRC the City will have 30 days from the entry of the order to file a Notice of Appeal, in this case to Division I of the Court of Appeals. Hopefully cooler heads in the new administration will prevail. They should also send Nickels the bill for the removal of the signs -- he needs to be held personally responsible for his arrogance.

ak56

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Lammo wrote:
New Daddy wrote:
Can't the city appeal this ruling to a higher court?
They can and Nickels clearly would. I don't do many appeals but IIRC the City will have 30 days from the entry of the order to file a Notice of Appeal, in this case to Division I of the Court of Appeals. Hopefully cooler heads in the new administration will prevail. They should also send Nickels the bill for the removal of the signs -- he needs to be held personally responsible for his arrogance.
Can we get the signs and post them around Nickles' house?

Right Wing Wacko

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Celebrate the ruling, because it's worth celebrating, but remember the war is not over.

This ruling came from the Superior Court and currently only applies specifically to the City Park Ban. As is it is not a precedent that can be used for other bans within Seattle or King County, or other counties and cities.

No doubt the REAL reason the city asked for 5 days before the order goes into effect is so that they can find a sympathetic (or Simply Pathetic) Appeals court judge to stay the ruling while they appeal.

While I hate the idea of this dragging on in the courts, this would actually be good for our side, as once we win (and we will if the courts are honest), we would have an appeals court ruling that could be used as a precedent.

I only hope the remaining plaintiffs have enough resources to continue the fight.

Ajetpilot

imported post

Right Wing Wacko wrote:
While I hate the idea of this dragging on in the courts, this would actually be good for our side, as once we win (and we will if the courts are honest), we would have an appeals court ruling that could be used as a precedent.

This would actually be a good reason for the city not to appeal.

In addition, the city's pro bono lawyers may have had enough and not be so willing to provide the city with free legal representation for a protracted fight.

Dave Workman

imported post

Right Wing Wacko wrote:
I only hope the remaining plaintiffs have enough resources to continue the fight.

Well, here's where guys like you come in.
Kick in a buck or two or ten to the Second Amendment Foundation.

slowfiveoh

imported post

Dave Workman wrote:
Where do I donate?

Great win for the people of Washington state, and I have to say my spirits are a bit lifted having moved here, and seen the unbelievable support for our rights take place in Olympia, as well as Seattle.

Good job!

FMCDH

imported post

amlevin wrote:
With this summary judgement I wonder if all those cities and counties in Washington that have been ignoring their "preempted ordinances" and waiting to see if Seattle was able to prevail will NOW take appropriate action. Ditto for those that are attempting to enact similar ordinances.

BTW, Violation of most provisions of RCW 9.41 is a Gross Misdemeanor and unless a specific penalty is spelled out, by State Law one can be incarcerated in the County Jail for a period up to one year. Why is it that this provision only applys to US, the gun owner, and not the politicians that violate RCW 9.41.290 who seem to do so willingly and without fear of prosecution. What's wrong here?
Exactly what I have been waiting for, for over a year. I will be re-approaching Bothell and Lake Forest Park on their possession language for their parks now that they cant point to the example of Seattle as they have been so quick to do each time I have talked to them in the past.

Right Wing Wacko

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Dave Workman wrote:
Right Wing Wacko wrote:

That's a good reminder.... time to renew my membership.

I assume that this means that the SAF and NRA are continuing to support the remaining plaintiffs, even though they were denied standing.

Dave Workman

imported post

slowfiveoh wrote:
Dave Workman wrote:
Where do I donate?

Great win for the people of Washington state, and I have to say my spirits are a bit lifted having moved here, and seen the unbelievable support for our rights take place in Olympia, as well as Seattle.

Good job!

SECOND AMENDMENT FOUNDATION
12500 N.E. Tenth Place
Bellevue, WA 98005

(425) 454-7012