• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Private Handgun Sale

Adame24

imported post

What is the law regarding private sale of handguns. The OC Map states that it is only legal for long guns, but upon my investigation it is legal for 18 year olds to privately purchase a handgun? Any input or clarification is appreciated.

Thanks,

Adam

autosurgeon

imported post

The buyer must have either a CPL or a purchase permit.

If a CPL you fill out an RI-60 form if a Purchase permit you fill out the purchase permit. Also make sure that the purchase permit is notarized before the transaction.

Yooper

imported post

Adame24 wrote:
What is the law regarding private sale of handguns. The OC Map states that it is only legal for long guns, but upon my investigation it is legal for 18 year olds to privately purchase a handgun? Any input or clarification is appreciated.

Thanks,

Adam

Yes 18yr olds can purchase handguns through a private sale, as noted however you would need a purchase permit, or a CPL (21+ only)

Adame24

imported post

Thats would I thought. I am an 18 year old in the market and I just wanted to clarify this misconception. Can a moderator of these forums update the Open Carry map and make this adjustment? What about ammunition, I know the sale to anyone under 18 is illegal, but is it legal to posess it? Thanks for the prompt responses.

Adam

Yooper

imported post

Adame24 wrote:
Thats would I thought. I am an 18 year old in the market and I just wanted to clarify this misconception. Can a moderator of these forums update the Open Carry map and make this adjustment? What about ammunition, I know the sale to anyone under 18 is illegal, but is it legal to posess it? Thanks for the prompt responses.

Adam

Persons under 21 can't purchase handgun ammo, however persons 18yrs old CAN purchase rifle / shotgun ammo. The nice thing is, nearly all, if not all, handgun calibers are also rifle/carbine calibers. So when they ask "is it for a rifle or pistol?" You know the answer.

I don't think there is an age restriction on possession, otherwise it would be illegal for kids to go hunting.

office888

imported post

Adame24 wrote:

Adam
Hey Adam!

I started open-carrying at about age 19. You're under 21, so no CPL. However, you CAN get a purchase-permit. It IS legal for you to possess, and open-carry a handgun at age 18.

However, federal law prohibits you from purchasing pistol ammo, which on it's own, is an exceedingly dumb law. The easiest way to solve this, is to have someone who's of age buy you ammo, which is completely legal. Or when you purchase ammo, say it's for a rifle (Hi-Point Carbine, Beretta Storm, M1928 Thompson replica, etc), or to do what I did, and go to a local gun-store (not Walmart), dress casual-professional (button down shirt, jeans, boots or dress shoes), and open-carry your handgun.

I've discovered that, generally if most people see that you're already armed with a handgun, they sell it to you without asking for you to prove your age.

Law REALLY needs to be gotten rid of...however, there's not a whole lot of people under the age of 21, that are active in politics, and even know that it's LEGAL for them to possess a handgun...

-Richard-

SpringerXDacp

imported post

office888 wrote:
Adame24 wrote:

Adam
Hey Adam!

I started open-carrying at about age 19. You're under 21, so no CPL. However, you CAN get a purchase-permit. It IS legal for you to possess, and open-carry a handgun at age 18.

However, federal law prohibits you from purchasing pistol ammo, which on it's own, is an exceedingly dumb law. The easiest way to solve this, is to have someone who's of age buy you ammo, which is completely legal. Or when you purchase ammo, say it's for a rifle (Hi-Point Carbine, Beretta Storm, M1928 Thompson replica, etc), or to do what I did, and go to a local gun-store (not Walmart), dress casual-professional (button down shirt, jeans, boots or dress shoes), and open-carry your handgun.

I've discovered that, generally if most people see that you're already armed with a handgun, they sell it to you without asking for you to prove your age.

Law REALLY needs to be gotten rid of...however, there's not a whole lot of people under the age of 21, that are active in politics, and even know that it's LEGAL for them to possess a handgun...

-Richard-
I never really understood both laws. Ammo is easily obtainable for the under 21's and you would think the Gumit would want the 18-20 year olds making firearm purchases through a FFL. Oh well....

mikestilly

imported post

office888 wrote:
Adame24 wrote:

Adam
Hey Adam!

I started open-carrying at about age 19.  You're under 21, so no CPL.  However, you CAN get a purchase-permit.  It IS legal for you to possess, and open-carry a handgun at age 18.

However, federal law prohibits you from purchasing pistol ammo, which on it's own, is an exceedingly dumb law.  The easiest way to solve this, is to have someone who's of age buy you ammo, which is completely legal.  Or when you purchase ammo, say it's for a rifle (Hi-Point Carbine, Beretta Storm, M1928 Thompson replica, etc), or to do what I did, and go to a local gun-store (not Walmart), dress casual-professional (button down shirt, jeans, boots or dress shoes), and open-carry your handgun.

-Richard-

Does anyone have a cite that shows the limits of age on ammo. I did a search a while back and couldn't find a single thing.

~Mike

SpringerXDacp

imported post

mikestilly wrote:
office888 wrote:
Adame24 wrote:

Adam
Hey Adam!

-Richard-

Does anyone have a cite that shows the limits of age on ammo. I did a search a while back and couldn't find a single thing.

~Mike

FFLs are prohibited from selling or transferring handguns or handgun ammunition to any person the dealer knows or has reasonable cause to believe is under the age of 21. Id. Unlicensed persons may not sell, deliver or otherwise transfer a handgun or handgun ammunition to any person the transferor knows or has reasonable cause to believe is under the age of 18. 18 U.S.C. § 922(x)(1), (5).

ETA: http://www.lcav.org/content/Federallawsummary.asp#ammunitionregulation

mikestilly

imported post

SpringerXDacp wrote:
mikestilly wrote:
office888 wrote:
Adame24 wrote:

Adam
Hey Adam!

I started open-carrying at about age 19.  You're under 21, so no CPL.  However, you CAN get a purchase-permit.  It IS legal for you to possess, and open-carry a handgun at age 18.

However, federal law prohibits you from purchasing pistol ammo, which on it's own, is an exceedingly dumb law.  The easiest way to solve this, is to have someone who's of age buy you ammo, which is completely legal.  Or when you purchase ammo, say it's for a rifle (Hi-Point Carbine, Beretta Storm, M1928 Thompson replica, etc), or to do what I did, and go to a local gun-store (not Walmart), dress casual-professional (button down shirt, jeans, boots or dress shoes), and open-carry your handgun.

-Richard-

~Mike

FFLs are prohibited from selling or transferring handguns or handgun ammunition to any person the dealer knows or has reasonable cause to believe is under the age of 21. Id. Unlicensed persons may not sell, deliver or otherwise transfer a handgun or handgun ammunition to any person the transferor knows or has reasonable cause to believe is under the age of 18. 18 U.S.C. § 922(x)(1), (5).

OK but an FFL is not required to sell ammo. I'm speaking of a non-FFL selling ammo. I knew the part about the FFL's. Through my research I didnt find a single prohibition on the sale of normal ammo based on age.

SpringerXDacp

imported post

mikestilly wrote:
SpringerXDacp wrote:
SNIP

~Mike

OK but an FFL is not required to sell ammo. I'm speaking of a non-FFL selling ammo. I knew the part about the FFL's. Through my research I didnt find a single prohibition on the sale of normal ammo based on age.

http://www.nraila.org/Issues/FactSheets/Read.aspx?id=43&issue=006

Federal law imposes the following restrictions aimed at younger persons:

A person must be 21 years of age to purchase a handgun or handgun ammunition, and 18 years of age to buy a rifle or shotgun or ammunition, from a retail firearm dealer. (GCA, 1968)

A person under age 18 may not possess a handgun or handgun ammunition, and it is illegal for a person to provide a handgun or handgun ammunition to a person under age 18, except for target shooting, hunting, or certain other exempted purposes. (Youth Handgun Safety Act, 1994)

ETA: A person must be 21 years of age or older to purchase handgun ammo at Wally World, Meijer, Mom & Pop Gun Shop, etc.

If your question is: Can a person 18-20 years of age purchase handgun ammo from you (non-retail)? Yes, there is no federal or state law prohibiting it.

BTW, what is "normal ammo?"

mikestilly

imported post

SpringerXDacp wrote:
mikestilly wrote:
SpringerXDacp wrote:
SNIP

~Mike

http://www.nraila.org/Issues/FactSheets/Read.aspx?id=43&issue=006

Federal law imposes the following restrictions aimed at younger persons:

A person must be 21 years of age to purchase a handgun or handgun ammunition, and 18 years of age to buy a rifle or shotgun or ammunition, from a retail firearm dealer. (GCA, 1968)

A person under age 18 may not possess a handgun or handgun ammunition, and it is illegal for a person to provide a handgun or handgun ammunition to a person under age 18, except for target shooting, hunting, or certain other exempted purposes. (Youth Handgun Safety Act, 1994)

ETA: A person must be 21 years of age or older to purchase handgun ammo at Wally World, Meijer, Mom & Pop Gun Shop, etc.

If your question is: Can a person 18-20 years of age purchase handgun ammo from you (non-retail)?  Yes, there is no federal or state law prohibiting it.

BTW, what is "normal ammo?"

Normal as non-armor piercing, incendiary tracer rounds etc.

My question was this: Is there a age restriction for normal retail stores, non-FFL, to sell ammo? I'll say it again. I've searched quite a bit and found no retail restrictions for non-FFL's to sell ammo or any age restrictions.