• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Clawson 4th of July

eastmeyers

imported post

For those of you in the Detroit area, whom are not going out of town on the 4th of July, or from out of town and coming in... Lets hang out on the 4th of July weekend at the famous Clawson Fire Works!!!

I do believe that a CPL would be required possible to OC because their is an elementary school across the street from the park. If someone could help me in this it would be appreciated. If this falls through no big deal, but this would be a huge and effective way to get out the OC message.

Also LOTS of LEO to interact with, Clawson, Troy, Madison Heights, Oakland County, and State Police, are always on hand. They even have the Mounted Divisions out, which are great for the children!

Their is a carnival, and a craft show, and thousands of people.

http://www.bing.com/maps/#JnE9eXAuQ2xhd3NvbitQYXJrJTdlc3N0LjAlN2VwZy4xJmJiPTU4LjEwOTQ4Nzk0MTU5OTYlN2UtMzUuMzg1MzkwNjI0JTdlMjEuNzUzODI3MTcxNDU3MiU3ZS0xMzAuODM0NjA5Mzc0

In this map, the park is the big park, and on the bottom left of the screen is the Elementry School, it is not open this day, because its summer.

Maybe we shouold be in the parade, but only if we can get agood group of people together, like20+ would be a goodstarting point.

Let me know what y'all think.

God Bless

http://www.clawsonparade.com/

http://www.cityofclawson.com/fourthofjuly.htm

eastmeyers

imported post

Okay so I am not trying to impose on the Alpeana picnic, just if your in this area and not that one, this would be fun too! The more the marrier!

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

Why would you need a CPL to OC in a park across from a school? The 1000 foot rule doesn't apply to Michigan, as long as the handgun is registered you are okay.

Michigander

imported post

Unless you go on school property, a CPL will NOT be required.

The federal law says you have to be 1000' from a school while armed, but one of the exceptions is if you are licensed to carry by a state.

Luckily, everyone who has a registered pistol is "licensed to carry" according to the registration law.

So you can go right up near a school without a CPL while OCing, but don't so much as touch your foot to the grass. (dumb, I know)

Of course, if you are carrying a long gun, or a black powder muzzle loading revolver, then you'll need to worry about the federal law.

Edit- Ya beat me to it!

lawlessness

imported post

Michigander wrote:
Unless you go on school property, a CPL will NOT be required.

The federal law says you have to be 1000' from a school while armed, but one of the exceptions is if you are licensed to carry by a state.

Luckily, everyone who has a registered pistol is "licensed to carry" according to the registration law.

So you can go right up near a school without a CPL while OCing, but don't so much as touch your foot to the grass. (dumb, I know)

Of course, if you are carrying a long gun, or a black powder muzzle loading revolver, then you'll need to worry about the federal law.

Edit- Ya beat me to it!
FYI. Black powder revolvers as well as most muzzleloading firearms are exempt from federalgun free school zones, as they are specifically excluded from the definition of firearm in that act.

office888

imported post

lawlessness wrote:
FYI. Black powder revolvers as well as most muzzleloading firearms are exempt from federalgun free school zones, as they are specifically excluded from the definition of firearm in that act.
+1

Federally, they're not firearms by a specific BATF exclusion, meaning even a felon could legally own them. Pre-1899, even CARTRIDGE based rifles aren't considered firearms. They're considered antique doorstops. :D

However, I do believe by MICHIGAN LAW, they ARE considered firearms. If someone knows the citation for this, that'd be great.

But yes. You can't/don't mix federal + state laws. :)

-Richard-