Thread: Have you considered this gun-grab response

Post imported post

It has been discussed a little bit, but I was thinking of what to do in a circumstance of someone trying to grab my gun.

While it's nice to say that you're just fast and vigilant that no one could ever do that, I feel it is good to always have a Plan B.

If/When you find yourself in a circumstance where there are hands on your gun along with your own, and continued possession of it seems as if it may not continue, would it not be wise to try to eject the magazine? Leaving BG with only one round should he manage to obtain it?

Anything to make things difficult, no?

Worst case, I'd rather take a round in the ensuing struggle knowing it is the only one he's conveniently got, than allowing such a person to have a full mag plugged in and ready to go.
    "The fourth man's dark, accusing song had scratched our comfort hard and long..."
    http://edhelper.com/poetry/The_Hangm...rice_Ogden.htm

https://gunthreadadapters.com

"Be not intimidated ... nor suffer yourselves to be wheedled out of your Liberties by any pretense of Politeness, Delicacy, or Decency. These, as they are often used, are but three different names for Hypocrisy, Chicanery, and Cowardice." - John Adams

Tyranny with Manners is still Tyranny.

Post imported post

Actually, with many new designs, if you eject the mag, the gun won't fire--even if there is a round in the chamber. (some models from S&W, Ruger, Sig, and Walther, among others)

Of course, this is another a good reason to carry a BUG...

But the fact remains that we've been searching for years, and to my knowledge, no US citizen has been disarmed by a criminal in a "gun grab" scenario who then used the owners handgun against them, at least not in the last half-century.

I always tell people who ask "what if someone grabs your gun" to show me a single instance from a reliable source (news story, police report) where that happened.

Criminals are cowards. The generally don't mess with people they KNOW are armed. That's why OCers rarely get attacked, but CCers get attacked with the same frequency as the rest of the public.

The only people who try to forceably take guns from OCers are LEOs...
    It is our cause to dispel the foggy thinking which avoids hard decisions in the delusion that a world of conflict will somehow mysteriously resolve itself into a world of harmony, if we just don't rock the boat or irritate the forces of aggression—and this is hogwash."
    --Barry Goldwater, 1964

Post imported post

Dreamer wrote:
    But the fact remains that we've been searching for years, and to my knowledge, no US citizen has been disarmed by a criminal in a "gun grab" scenario who then used the owners handgun against them, at least not in the last half-century.
    I'm aware. I'm just pondering how to keep it that way. A Target Security Guard recently tried to sneak up on an OC and snatch his weapon. That wise-ass rent-a-cop got himself a trip to the Hospital. No doubt that OCers are a pretty alert bunch, and able to defend themselves in more than one way. I jsut like to cover all the bases.

Dreamer wrote:
    The only people who try to forceably take guns from OCers are LEOs...
    So much for protecting and serving...
    "The fourth man's dark, accusing song had scratched our comfort hard and long..."
    http://edhelper.com/poetry/The_Hangm...rice_Ogden.htm

https://gunthreadadapters.com

"Be not intimidated ... nor suffer yourselves to be wheedled out of your Liberties by any pretense of Politeness, Delicacy, or Decency. These, as they are often used, are but three different names for Hypocrisy, Chicanery, and Cowardice." - John Adams

Tyranny with Manners is still Tyranny.

Post imported post

My S&W M&P .45c has a magazine disconnect. Drop it even with one round in the chamber, it won't fire. So I have thought about dropping the mag should this rare situation ever actually happen.

I guess I would do everything in my power to get the gun back or get out of danger, to protect myself no matter what. Just as in the example you cited with the rent-a-cop. That was really dumb on his part, I laughed my butt off when I read it. But I guess this is when a BUG, a knife or some hand to hand training will come into play.

Post imported post

One of the draws-backs of opencarry is that stupid people will do stupid things. As mentioned the rent-a-cop did so and suffered the consequences. Retention holsters are amust. Serpa work wellwith my Glock 19. Body position is important to limit exposure/access to your weapon. I learned an easy move from my martial arts instructor: in general keep your hands close to your sides. If you notice/feel someone near/on your weapon, simply press your arm against your side, this pins the offenders hand against your body, then rotate your body 90 degrees toward the offender and strike the offender in the nose with the palm of your free hand. This will stop the event.

Post imported post

In the case of California since I have to have mine unloaded I will let them take it while I grab my knife and gut em.
    New to OPEN CARRY in California? Click and read this first...
    Stolen from ConditionThree because it can't be stressed enough.

Post imported post

As I carry a 1911 model, it will fire without the mag in, but in one of my classes we had to hold the slide while firing a round ... yes it can be done, it doesn't hurt as long as you keep your flesh out of the ejection port, but what is that pinch to getting shot ... as long as you have your hand between the BG and the barrel, you have more control over the muzzle and can deflect the shot.

Then, whether you have managed to get the magazine out or not, the spent cartridge will stovepipe and temporarily render the gun inoperable. Now, how many BG's do you think will know how to Tap, Rack, Bang? Either way, you now have time to draw your BUG or retreat to safety.

cheers - okboomer
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Lead, follow, or get out of the way

Exercising my 2A Rights does NOT make me a CRIMINAL! Infringing on the exercise of those rights makes YOU one!

Post imported post

ixtow wrote:
    It has been discussed a little bit, but I was thinking of what to do in a circumstance of someone trying to grab my gun.

While it's nice to say that you're just fast and vigilant that no one could ever do that, I feel it is good to always have a Plan B.

If/When you find yourself in a circumstance where there are hands on your gun along with your own, and continued possession of it seems as if it may not continue, would it not be wise to try to eject the magazine? Leaving BG with only one round should he manage to obtain it?

Anything to make things difficult, no?

Worst case, I'd rather take a round in the ensuing struggle knowing it is the only one he's conveniently got, than allowing such a person to have a full mag plugged in and ready to go.
    You're basically getting into martial arts at this point to keep them from controlling your firearm and using it against you. Having a backup gun is a good plan and so is having a knife if you're allowed to carry one around. If you're fast enough to eject the magazine then you're fast enough get a grip on the firearm and keep it from coming out of your holster.

Post imported post

I carry a small k-bar knife on my belt and my gun close to my body.So if someone tried to snatch my weapon. I will put pressure on his hand (down ward) on my gun with my right hand. I then will reach for my k-bar and cut every vein in his arm. Then come across his face with it. But the main thing is to be aware of your surroundings.
    Capricorn

Post imported post

When I open Carry around the public, I do so with high quality, cutom fitted, thumb-break holsters that ride flush with my body on a good belt. No floppy nylon and velcro for me, and no 'paddles' either please and thanks.

While it is certainly possible for someone to successfully remove my firearm, their chances of success are abysmal.

Post imported post

It is certainly one option among many although an option I would see as a last ditch resort when loss of the firearm was imminent
    Bob Owens @ Bearing Arms (paraphrased): "These people aren't against violence; they're very much in favor of violence. They're against armed resistance."

Post imported post

ixtow wrote:
    A Target Security Guard recently tried to sneak up on an OC and snatch his weapon.
    That wise-ass rent-a-cop got himself a trip to the Hospital.
    I'd like to read about that! Could you send me (or post) a link to the news report?

Never mind... I found a discussion thread on GeorgiaPacking.org
    Sounds like the guard got messed up reasonably well. (Broken nose, broken jaw,
    torn meniscus in his knee...) Idiot.
    Quote Originally Posted by MLK, Jr
    The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort & convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge & controversy.
    Quote Originally Posted by MSG Laigaie
    Citizenship is a verb.
    Quote Originally Posted by Proverbs 27:12
    A prudent person foresees the danger ahead and takes precautions.
    The simpleton goes blindly on and suffers the consequences.
    Quote Originally Posted by Proverbs 31:17
    She dresses herself with strength and makes her arms strong.

Post imported post

MKEgal wrote:
    ixtow wrote:
    A Target Security Guard recently tried to sneak up on an OC and snatch his weapon.
    That wise-ass rent-a-cop got himself a trip to the Hospital.
    I'd like to read about that! Could you send me (or post) a link to the news report?
    Nobody on any of the Forums where I have read that story has been able to come up with any link to verify that it actually happened. No news report, no police report.
    No right is held more sacred, or is more carefully guarded, by the common law than the right of every individual to the possession and control of his own person, free from all restraint or interference of others, unless by clear and unquestionable authority of law. Union Pacific Rail Co. vs Botsford as quoted in Terry v Ohio.

Talk to your cats about catnip - before it's too late.

Post imported post

my opinion................if somebody were to try and go for your gun, it's time to start fighting israeli style (fight quest discovery channel). ANYTHING GOES.

one thing i have noticed about americans and that also was shown very clearly in the fight quest episodes is that americans are more concerned with "fighting clean" and "fighting fair" that they will give up whinning vantage points because it's "dirty fighting".

somebody goes for your gun, you go for the testicles, eyes, throat, and don't try punching. try kicking, stabing, twisting, pulling, etc..

ever seen a guy get kicked in the balls repeatedly??? or could you image having your sack in a death grip and being yanked and trashed about during the resulting battle of trying to free them???
    stab your fingers into the eyes, kick for the balls, grab the jugular and squeeze/pull/twist, reach into the mouth, grab the lower jaw and while holding very tight onto the lower jab (quite painful) use the other hand/legs to go for the eyes, testicals, etc..etc..

if the person is close enough to grab the gun, then you are close enough to basically grab onto them and start going for any of those vantage points.

FIGHT FOR SURVIVAL, NOT FOR SPORT.