• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Have you considered this gun-grab response

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
imported post

It has been discussed a little bit, but I was thinking of what to do in a circumstance of someone trying to grab my gun.

While it's nice to say that you're just fast and vigilant that no one could ever do that, I feel it is good to always have a Plan B.

If/When you find yourself in a circumstance where there are hands on your gun along with your own, and continued possession of it seems as if it may not continue, would it not be wise to try to eject the magazine? Leaving BG with only one round should he manage to obtain it?

Anything to make things difficult, no?

Worst case, I'd rather take a round in the ensuing struggle knowing it is the only one he's conveniently got, than allowing such a person to have a full mag plugged in and ready to go.

Dreamer

imported post

Actually, with many new designs, if you eject the mag, the gun won't fire--even if there is a round in the chamber. (some models from S&W, Ruger, Sig, and Walther, among others)

Of course, this is another a good reason to carry a BUG...

But the fact remains that we've been searching for years, and to my knowledge, no US citizen has been disarmed by a criminal in a "gun grab" scenario who then used the owners handgun against them, at least not in the last half-century.

I always tell people who ask "what if someone grabs your gun" to show me a single instance from a reliable source (news story, police report) where that happened.

Criminals are cowards. The generally don't mess with people they KNOW are armed. That's why OCers rarely get attacked, but CCers get attacked with the same frequency as the rest of the public.

The only people who try to forceably take guns from OCers are LEOs...

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Dreamer wrote:
But the fact remains that we've been searching for years, and to my knowledge, no US citizen has been disarmed by a criminal in a "gun grab" scenario who then used the owners handgun against them, at least not in the last half-century.
I'm aware. I'm just pondering how to keep it that way. A Target Security Guard recently tried to sneak up on an OC and snatch his weapon. That wise-ass rent-a-cop got himself a trip to the Hospital. No doubt that OCers are a pretty alert bunch, and able to defend themselves in more than one way. I jsut like to cover all the bases.

Dreamer wrote:
The only people who try to forceably take guns from OCers are LEOs...
So much for protecting and serving...

chevysoldier

imported post

My S&W M&P .45c has a magazine disconnect. Drop it even with one round in the chamber, it won't fire. So I have thought about dropping the mag should this rare situation ever actually happen.

I guess I would do everything in my power to get the gun back or get out of danger, to protect myself no matter what. Just as in the example you cited with the rent-a-cop. That was really dumb on his part, I laughed my butt off when I read it. But I guess this is when a BUG, a knife or some hand to hand training will come into play.

dr4wd50

imported post

One of the draws-backs of opencarry is that stupid people will do stupid things. As mentioned the rent-a-cop did so and suffered the consequences. Retention holsters are amust. Serpa work wellwith my Glock 19. Body position is important to limit exposure/access to your weapon. I learned an easy move from my martial arts instructor: in general keep your hands close to your sides. If you notice/feel someone near/on your weapon, simply press your arm against your side, this pins the offenders hand against your body, then rotate your body 90 degrees toward the offender and strike the offender in the nose with the palm of your free hand. This will stop the event.

:D

chewy352

imported post

In the case of California since I have to have mine unloaded I will let them take it while I grab my knife and gut em.

okboomer

imported post

As I carry a 1911 model, it will fire without the mag in, but in one of my classes we had to hold the slide while firing a round ... yes it can be done, it doesn't hurt as long as you keep your flesh out of the ejection port, but what is that pinch to getting shot ... as long as you have your hand between the BG and the barrel, you have more control over the muzzle and can deflect the shot.

Then, whether you have managed to get the magazine out or not, the spent cartridge will stovepipe and temporarily render the gun inoperable. Now, how many BG's do you think will know how to Tap, Rack, Bang? Either way, you now have time to draw your BUG or retreat to safety.

shad0wfax

imported post

ixtow wrote:
It has been discussed a little bit, but I was thinking of what to do in a circumstance of someone trying to grab my gun.

While it's nice to say that you're just fast and vigilant that no one could ever do that, I feel it is good to always have a Plan B.

If/When you find yourself in a circumstance where there are hands on your gun along with your own, and continued possession of it seems as if it may not continue, would it not be wise to try to eject the magazine? Leaving BG with only one round should he manage to obtain it?

Anything to make things difficult, no?

Worst case, I'd rather take a round in the ensuing struggle knowing it is the only one he's conveniently got, than allowing such a person to have a full mag plugged in and ready to go.

You're basically getting into martial arts at this point to keep them from controlling your firearm and using it against you. Having a backup gun is a good plan and so is having a knife if you're allowed to carry one around. If you're fast enough to eject the magazine then you're fast enough get a grip on the firearm and keep it from coming out of your holster.

Ivan Sample

imported post

I carry a small k-bar knife on my belt and my gun close to my body.So if someone tried to snatch my weapon. I will put pressure on his hand (down ward) on my gun with my right hand. I then will reach for my k-bar and cut every vein in his arm. Then come across his face with it. But the main thing is to be aware of your surroundings.:cuss:

SsevenN

imported post

When I open Carry around the public, I do so with high quality, cutom fitted, thumb-break holsters that ride flush with my body on a good belt. No floppy nylon and velcro for me, and no 'paddles' either please and thanks.

While it is certainly possible for someone to successfully remove my firearm, their chances of success are abysmal.

MKEgal

imported post

ixtow wrote:
A Target Security Guard recently tried to sneak up on an OC and snatch his weapon.
That wise-ass rent-a-cop got himself a trip to the Hospital.
I'd like to read about that! Could you send me (or post) a link to the news report?

Never mind... I found a discussion thread on GeorgiaPacking.org
Sounds like the guard got messed up reasonably well. (Broken nose, broken jaw,
torn meniscus in his knee...) Idiot.

ak56

Campaign Veteran
imported post

MKEgal wrote:
ixtow wrote:
A Target Security Guard recently tried to sneak up on an OC and snatch his weapon.
That wise-ass rent-a-cop got himself a trip to the Hospital.
I'd like to read about that! Could you send me (or post) a link to the news report?
Nobody on any of the Forums where I have read that story has been able to come up with any link to verify that it actually happened. No news report, no police report.

scorpio_vette

imported post

my opinion................if somebody were to try and go for your gun, it's time to start fighting israeli style (fight quest discovery channel). ANYTHING GOES.

one thing i have noticed about americans and that also was shown very clearly in the fight quest episodes is that americans are more concerned with "fighting clean" and "fighting fair" that they will give up whinning vantage points because it's "dirty fighting".

somebody goes for your gun, you go for the testicles, eyes, throat, and don't try punching. try kicking, stabing, twisting, pulling, etc..

ever seen a guy get kicked in the balls repeatedly??? or could you image having your sack in a death grip and being yanked and trashed about during the resulting battle of trying to free them???
stab your fingers into the eyes, kick for the balls, grab the jugular and squeeze/pull/twist, reach into the mouth, grab the lower jaw and while holding very tight onto the lower jab (quite painful) use the other hand/legs to go for the eyes, testicals, etc..etc..

if the person is close enough to grab the gun, then you are close enough to basically grab onto them and start going for any of those vantage points.

FIGHT FOR SURVIVAL, NOT FOR SPORT.