Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kimber FTF

Post imported post

Hey guys... I've got a problem and wanna know if anybody can help me out.

I've been having feed problems with my Kimber Stainless Target II. I had 3 FTFs today. They were between 2 different Kimber magazines, so I don't think that's the issue. 2 occurred on the last round in the mag, one occurred on the 2nd to last round in the mag.

In all cases, the slide traveled forward all but about a tenth of an inch or so. (pictured) Investigating what could be going on inside, I found that the grip safety pin hits (and is supposed to slide past) the firing pin block on the slide (pictured) for the point at which I was having trouble. Racking the slide with the grip safety depressed, I could feel what I described above. I felt nothing while racking the slide without the grip safety depressed.

Anyone experienced this or know what to do about it?

grip safety pin

firing pin block

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Campaign Veteran GlockMeisterG21's Avatar

Post imported post

Call Kimber and see what they say. This may or may not be related but you have an External Extractor and it was a flawed design that caused many issues. Kimber has since discontinued the EE and will replace the slide for free. I had issues with my Tactical Custom II EE and they took great care of me.
    “The 1911 pistol remains the service pistol of choice in the eyes of those who understand the problem. Back when we audited the FBI academy in 1947, I was told that I ought not to use my pistol in their training program because it was not fair. Maybe the first thing one should demand of his sidearm is that it be unfair.” — Col. Jeff Cooper, GUNS & AMMO, January 2002

Post imported post

Nice. I haven't had any extraction problems but I'll mention it on the phone.

I'm not the original owner. Do you know if that'll be an issue?
    Sic Semper Tyrannis

Post imported post

It looks more like a 'failure to return to battery'.
    Reloads? Factory?
    My Kimber has never had problems with factory ammo.
    Rich Keagy
    www.esmeralda.cc

Post imported post

I hope you get it worked out. Thats a shame on such a nice iron.

Post imported post

Ammo was 230gr Federal American Eagle FMJ
    Had the same problem with 1 of 3 Federal Tactical HST 230gr +P JHP rounds
    Sic Semper Tyrannis

Post imported post

FWIW, I've had this experience with my compact Kimber but only with handloads that were a bit soft. I have also had failure to feed when chambering a round. If the full power of the spring is not used it won't strip off a round.
    Not a big problem if I'm careful but I'm still thinking about selling it.

Hell, let's be honest. It's an appealing gun but I bought the little bugger on a whim and I've never been deliriously happy with it.

Post imported post

Also, how many rounds on your springs?

I found out that Kimber recommends replacement of 2 of the 3 springs at about 2500 rounds ... Kimber's website says that if you send the gun in for servicing, they will replace all three springs for you.
    cheers - okboomer
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Lead, follow, or get out of the way

Exercising my 2A Rights does NOT make me a CRIMINAL! Infringing on the exercise of those rights makes YOU one!

Post imported post

Fewer than 100 rounds.

Also, I can't overlook the fact that I'm no longer a young man and my hands lack the strength I once took for granted.

Post imported post

Yeah, this getting old crap is annoying ... I gotta rest more often, I rest badly from aches and pains ...

Whether you are the original owner of the gun or not, I would still think Kimber would be the way to go ... if there was a White Paper on the gun, they may fix it for free ... you might check their site to see if they talk about it.

cheers - okboomer
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Lead, follow, or get out of the way

Exercising my 2A Rights does NOT make me a CRIMINAL! Infringing on the exercise of those rights makes YOU one!

Post imported post

Have someone else fire the gun at the range. That will remove doubt.
    Rich Keagy
    www.esmeralda.cc

Post imported post

Typical Kimber. They're not what they used to be.
    Certified Glock Armorer

"A government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any particular individual citizen..." -- Warren v. District of Columbia, 444 A.2d 1 (D.C. App.181)

A 1911 that works properly is as rare as a Glock that doesn't.

Post imported post

Ive experiencea similarissue with Kimbers as well as other makers but not convinced we have the saem issue. Are you able to nudge the slide forward into battery at all?

In my case the issue was the disconnector creating excessive pressure on the indention on the slide when trying to return to battery, sometimes the gun was dirty other times clean. I would have to apply pressure to the rear of the slide and push the slide into battery. I polished up both the rear face of the disconnector and the leading edge of the indention on the slide and it slide right into battery every time from then on.

Good luck. I hope this helps. Let us know what you do and how it works for you.

Post imported post

Nothing wrong with Kimbers.
    You might stop by M1911 org and check out the Kimber forum, or 1911Forum.com, they have a Kimber section too.
    Keep it clean (esp. the chamber) and cartridge-gauge any reloads you make.
    You'll be fine.
    How many rounds have you put through it so far?
    I love my Gold Match II.

Rich
    Rich Keagy
    www.esmeralda.cc

Post imported post

Called 'em. After describing the problem, the lady on the other end asked that I send it in. She said that they were pretty liberal when deciding what is covered under warranty. I cleaned every piece of the thing after the last time I fired it, so I think maybe I'll take it to the range once and then decide.
    Sic Semper Tyrannis

Post imported post

I was taking my guns out of the safe, emptying the mags of the +P JHPs and putting in the cheap range ammo when I noticed something about my Kimber mags...

As I was pushing the last round of of the top mag, I encountered some resistance. After I popped it out, it occurred to me that the little button looking thing on the magazine follower is what could be causing my feed problems. Granted, I have had FTFs with both mags but about twice as many with the top mag.
    Sic Semper Tyrannis

Post imported post

Kimber builds their guns very tight, they will not even take a gun back for this type of issue until you have put at least 500 rounds through it. I believe it says something to this effect in the owners manual. This is not to say it is a bad product by any stretch. I am the proud owner of a Kimber ultra carry II and love their guns, I would however think twice about trusting your life with it till you have put several hundred rounds through it with zero malfunctions. MHO

Todd

Post imported post

I used to have a Kimber Eclipse Pro 2 and I hated that thing so badly, I had nothing but problems from it. And the new supposable greatInternal Extractors on 1911s don`t help with anything at all, I feel they have just as many problems. If I were to get another 1911 that wasen`t working out right, I would take it to a gunsmith for some minor tweeking of parts, And if that didn`t work I would sell the POS and NEVER buy another 1911 in my life time.

Post imported post

Only put about 50 or so rounds through it this evening but with 0 malfunctions. I have another gun which is my every day carry. This is a range toy and OC event gun.
    Sic Semper Tyrannis

Post imported post

wally1120 wrote:
    I used to have a Kimber Eclipse Pro 2 and I hated that thing so badly, I had nothing but problems from it. And the new supposable greatInternal Extractors on 1911s don`t help with anything at all, I feel they have just as many problems. If I were to get another 1911 that wasen`t working out right, I would take it to a gunsmith for some minor tweeking of parts, And if that didn`t work I would sell the POS and NEVER buy another 1911 in my life time.
    I have had a total of 3 - 1911's in my life. All of them I really liked, never had issues with any of them, sold them because years ago I was broke and needed the moola.

Kimber Custom 2 ...VERY NICE
    Kimber Compact ....NICE
    Smith & Wesson ....NICEST.

Now I have 1 - Glock34 / 9mm <<< Luv it.

http://youtu.be/xWgVGu3OR4U AACFI, Wisconsin / Minnesota Carry Certified. Action Pistol & Advanced Action pistol concepts + Urban Carbine course. When the entitlement Zombies begin looting, pillaging, raping, burning & killing..remember HEAD SHOTS it's the only way to kill a Zombie. Stockpile food & water now.

Please support your local,county, state & Federal Law enforcement agencies, right ???

Post imported post

I have a Glock 17, And I love that little pea shooter. I tradedthat kimber for the Glock 17+ Cash + Ammo. I didn`t make a killing on the kimber, But I did get about what I was asking for it

Post imported post

I shoot really well with the Glock 17 but I HATE the grip angle.
    Sic Semper Tyrannis

Post imported post

the first time I fired my friends glock, I fell in love. sweet shooter & doubles taps were lighting fast & accurate. A 9mm is as lethal as as anything.
    http://youtu.be/xWgVGu3OR4U AACFI, Wisconsin / Minnesota Carry Certified. Action Pistol & Advanced Action pistol concepts + Urban Carbine course. When the entitlement Zombies begin looting, pillaging, raping, burning & killing..remember HEAD SHOTS it's the only way to kill a Zombie. Stockpile food & water now.

Please support your local,county, state & Federal Law enforcement agencies, right ???

Post imported post

I believe a 9mm is a descent round, But I am glad that it isn`t the only Caliber handgun that I have. If I had a choice I would rather prefer my 45, but am confident my 9 will do the trick.

Post imported post

While the 9mm isn't as good as the .45 or even the .40 it is nothing to sneer at, especially with modern bullets. Like the .38 it is far better than some people are willing to admit.

I'm still thinking of dumping my Kimber.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast