• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

First encounter with Vegas Metro

greengum

imported post

My father got sick to the point he asked me to take him to the emergency room. I was already open carrying as I always do and didn't think twice about it. When we got to St. Rose hospital I walked him in and was giving the nurse my fathers info because he was unable to talk due to shortness of breath. Armed security started to surround me and said they needed to speak to me. I told them to wait till I was done. They complied then asked me to step outside. They informed me that no firearms were allowed inside and showed me a sign saying so. I let them know I didn't see any sign coming in and would simply go put it away in my trunk then return to my ill father. That wasn't enough for them though. They told me I should learn the Nevada state laws.

Oh boy, now I'm getting kinda pissed off. I tell the group of 5 guards that I am well informed of the law and simply didn't see their sign. They challenge me on the issue and call over metro. I am standing outside still armed when the metro officer ask me if I have a blue card. I tell him no, I have not been a resident of Clark County for 60 days and I am not required to have one. (I live here and also California)

He then ask if the firearm is registered to me. I replied with, I am not required to have it registered to me, I am coming from California. He then tells me there are California laws that require it to be registered. I asked if LVM enforces California laws and which PC number I would be violating. He stopped for a sec then said, well keep it in the open and have a nice day.

My father turned out to be O.K. after a day in the hospital and my first encounter with a Metro officer went really smooth. I was surprised I wasn't handcuffed forced to show ID and ran for warrant like the Peoples Republic of Kalifornia.

Moral of the story is Nevada owns.

Lostlittlerobot

imported post

I hope your dad is ok. Good to hear the officer eventually sided on the way the law is. Sounds like you handled yourself very well and were up on all the laws. Wish the security could have been corrected on their wrong info.

The Big Guy

imported post

I am wondering why you continued to speak with security once you were outside. Why didn't you just simply go to your vehicle as planned? Were they detaining you?

M

McX

imported post

a win, an inch gained. sorry to hear that while your concerned for the welfare of a family member, you have to dance the dance, and endure the distraction.

CowboyKen

imported post

Code:
Vegassteve wrote:
Is St Rose state owned?

I am almost certain it is NOT. That means that concealed carry does not violate the law. Open carry,with or withouttheir sign, and being told you cannot carry there is being asked to leave. If you do not comply you are trespassing IMHO.

Ken

joeschmo

imported post

timf343 wrote:
I thought St Rose was Henderson?
There are a few different campuses. Deep in Henderson on Lake Mead, the one on St. Rose, and the one out in the southwest. The officer was probably there for a traffic accident or something related to a call where the person went to the hospital. St. Rose is also privately owned. We don't have any state hospitals in Vegas. Even UMC is run by the county.

The Big Guy

imported post

St Rose are Catholic hospitals. I understand they did open one in Vegas proper recently, so I guess there are 3 of them now.

timf343

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Wow, I was surprised to look at an actual map of City of Henderson. I would have thought St Rose Hospital square in the center of Henderson, guess my local geography is way off...

Apparently St Rose Hospital is in the City Limits, but the homes across the street behind Lowe's are considered Las Vegas.

See this police service map:

http://www.cityofhenderson.com/gis/docs/maps/police.pdf