• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Finally doing some OC

Metalhead47

imported post

I'm finally starting to open carry. I have done it on a few occasions but I usually prefer to CC. I CC practically everywhere I go (except work where i can't even have it in my truck). Metalhead has been trying to get me to get more comfortable with OC.

Reason's for being hesitant to OC:
1. Not wanting confrontation about carrying
2. Wanting to be better versed in the laws pertaining to firearms in case of confrontation
3. Still trying to find the perfect gun & holster
4. I don't like to wear belts
5. sad but true...it doesn't always work with my outfit

Last weekend we OC'd together while running errands around town. I felt comfortable with this because we were together and we were going to places that hubby has carried before without any issues. (I had also bought a new belt and wanted to try out the paddle holster for our 9's) The day went well, a few glances but no issues, as it should be.

This evening I decided on a whim to OC instead of CC while doing the grocery shopping. (different place than the previous weekend). A little added incentive that there is a Starbucks inside the store. :D

I was nervous being solo but went about my business. I noticed a few glances but no screaming children or frightened sheeple. As I walked up front to check out, I noticed that the store manager was actually running one of the registers. Figured I'd get in his line to test the waters. As I was unloading the cart I noticed that he got a good look at my gun, eyes bugging out of the head jaw dropping a bit. He didn't say anything right away but it was obvious he was caught off guard by it. A few moments later he did the whole "are you a cop or a guard or a detective or something." I replied that I was just a citizen exercising my rights. We chatted for a few moments. He seemed genuinely curious about carrying and the laws and the current events. I was relieved that it was just a friendly conversation and not the dreaded "what the heck are you doing in here with that" confrontation.

I am certainly more comfortable carrying concealed, but I'll def be doing some more OC. I'm hoping that with a few more good experiences it will become second nature like CC already is.

~Metalhead47's wife

Bookman

Campaign Veteran
Winston Salem, North Carolina, United States
imported post

Welcome to the forum, and a big congratulations on your OC experience at what sounds like a Safeway. Since their Corporate policy is to follow state law, the manager did exactly what he was supposed to do. Glad to hear he was curious enough to ask questions, though.

Good job! And I second Mrs Metalhead47.

M

McX

imported post

an encouraging win. with a carrier who conducted himself well. another inch gained. truly the monkey dances.:monkey

M

McX

imported post

sorry, was it herself? either way, the monkey dances:monkey