• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Alabama HB364

smttysmth02gt

imported post

47_MasoN_47 wrote:
Has anyone heard the results of the voting? I have been looking all over and the NRA ILA hasn't updated their site yet either.
There was no vote. It was only passed to committee, and it remains there (I called the state legislature's office Friday).

aadvark

imported post

Alabama needs to pass this Law.

Georgia, my Home State, has already passed this Law.

However, Georgia is behind Alabama on some Firearm-Rights issues.

Foreign Trade Zones 'FTZ's' are covered under Federal Law, but I would conclude that:

1. Federal Law 18 U.S.C. 930 would apply to prohibit Firearms on that Premises, but

2. Federal Law 18 U.S.C. 930(d)(3) does make an exception for Firearms possesed..., '... for Lawful purposes or pursuant to Hunting.' However, it is unclear what 'Lawful Purposes' really are, and

3. Would not matter anyway,because 18 U.S.C. 930(a) must be posted at the entrance to The Federal Facility, The Federal Trade Zone, and if it is not, then, no Conviction under Federal Law can be had pursuant to 18 U.S.C. 930(h).

smttysmth02gt

imported post

47_MasoN_47 wrote:
So what now then? When will we know something? I'm tired of my employer having the power to take away my ability to defend myself.
The only thing you can do is call and write the AL house reps and bug the crap out of them. I don't think that will do much good anyway but that is ALL we can do.

SlackwareRobert

imported post

Do you have the secret phone numbers? Switchboard doesn't seem to forward calls
to the unrepresentatives.
My state rep blew it this week he is going to be in town so he can't duck me.

Neo

Campaign Veteran
imported post

It's been stuck in the Commerce Committee for almost 2 months and there's not a lot of time left in this session. I saw on the NRA ILA site that the senate counterpart (SB360) was to have been read in the Committee last Wednesday. Representative Frank McDaniel is the chair of that committee, so I called his number, but got his assistant instead. She informed me that he had called in sick that day. So, I emailed every person on the committee asking them to support the bill. The names, phone, numbers and email addresses of everyone on the committee are listed in this thread if you'd like to call: http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum4/39013.html .

47_MasoN_47

imported post

Why is the commerce committee even involved? I know most businesses in AL are against it. I dunno what the commerce committee even is, but since it has commerce in it I'm guessing the businesses have a lot of pull with them.

Neo

Campaign Veteran
imported post

47_MasoN_47 wrote:
Why is the commerce committee even involved? I know most businesses in AL are against it. I dunno what the commerce committee even is, but since it has commerce in it I'm guessing the businesses have a lot of pull with them.
The Commerce Committee is involved because this law would directly affect commerce i.e. businesses both public and private.

SlackwareRobert

imported post

How does it effect commerce? Unless you consider the license fee to the sheriff
commerce.
The only money effected is ccw fees so you can have it in your car. Possibly
gun sales to have them for your car. But that would be it, unless you count
having a trunk installed on your hatchback to keep it in, and how many business's
would be able to provide that service?

So in reality this is just another back door tax, the ones with a brain have the license,
but the dummies who hear they can have a gun in their trunk run out buy pistol,
stick it in their trunk, then tell the cop when pulled over they have a gun when asked.
Wham lots of legal fees, court costs, and the state then sells the gun also to someone else.

Although with the law on my side I might finally consider taking jobs on redstone.
But like all good taxes that you don't have to pay, I am all for the bill.:celebrate

Neo

Campaign Veteran
imported post

The House Commerce Committee voted Wednesday to "carry over" the bill. It is unlikely to be heard again this session. Please contact the legislators as suggested by the NRA ILA at http://www.nraila.org/Legislation/Read.aspx?id=5629 . The AL "Workers Protection" bill is a substantial step towards ensuring that both OC and CC can be done throughout the work week with minimal impact to employers and employees.

smttysmth02gt

imported post

Neo wrote:
The House Commerce Committee voted Wednesday to "carry over" the bill. It is unlikely to be heard again this session. Please contact the legislators as suggested by the NRA ILA at http://www.nraila.org/Legislation/Read.aspx?id=5629 . The AL "Workers Protection" bill is a substantial step towards ensuring that both OC and CC can be done throughout the work week with minimal impact to employers and employees.
I am so frustrated. This is the 2nd year I've called and emailed about this bill and NOTHING happens. To think that 14 or 15 states have now passed similar legislation and AL can't even do it is quite embarrassing and disappointing.

47_MasoN_47

imported post

I'm more than frustrated, I'm plain ticked off! I really thought this would go somewhere, only to be squashed by some stupid jerkoff committee that has their hands in the pockets of those who would have the bill rejected! BULLCRAP!

Neo

Campaign Veteran
imported post

SlackwareRobert wrote:
....Although with the law on my side I might finally consider taking jobs on redstone.
This bill wouldn't affect the "no weapons" policy on Redstone Arsenal since it is a military installation. U.S. military personnel aren't even allowed to carry on military installations, although I don't know the rationale.

Kirbinator

imported post

Neo wrote:
SlackwareRobert wrote:
....Although with the law on my side I might finally consider taking jobs on redstone.
This bill wouldn't affect the "no weapons" policy on Redstone Arsenal since it is a military installation. U.S. military personnel aren't even allowed to carry on military installations, although I don't know the rationale.
It's because the deer carry automatic weapons.

Just kidding. (Anyone seen Croc Dundee?) Redstone (and the other military installations in the state) are a different place altogether. You can register and carry a rifle on the military base. If you've ever driven around Redstone, you know that the largest hazard to vehicle operation are the over-abundance of deer and the lack of fear they possess for humans and vehicles. If you have access to Redstone, you can go over to MWR and register to be able to hunt on base. If you are military, you can not only hunt on base, but you can also get a "buddy pass" to allow a friend (from outside no less!) to hunt with you.

Generally speaking, I wouldn't worry about "being safe" on Redstone Arsenal. There are no less than two police departments (MPs, NASA Protective Services), and NASA PS has their own SWAT team. Not to mention the fact that the military has virtually everything you'd NEVER need to stop anyone doing something they shouldn't, from M1 tanks, Bradleys, Apaches (AH-64x), fully automatic weapons in sizes small, large, huge, and f***ing huge....

Be aware however, that the presence of a non-registered rifle/shotgun in the vehicle, any handgun, or a knife over three inches in length *will* result in a trip to the brig.

And don't even think about trying to get access to the shooting range without being a LEO. That just isn't going to happen. It's "too expensive" to operate.

Generally speaking, the right to bear arms doesn't exist when you're Uncle Sam's property.

smttysmth02gt

imported post

Kirbinator wrote:
Generally speaking, I wouldn't worry about "being safe" on Redstone Arsenal. There are no less than two police departments (MPs, NASA Protective Services), and NASA PS has their own SWAT team. Not to mention the fact that the military has virtually everything you'd NEVER need to stop anyone doing something they shouldn't, from M1 tanks, Bradleys, Apaches (AH-64x), fully automatic weapons in sizes small, large, huge, and f***ing huge....
Yeah I bet those people at Fort Hood felt really safe.

cowboy67

imported post

I just got an email from the NRA stating that the bill was defeated. I contacted my congressman, Duayne(?SP) Bridges a few weeks ago and never heard back from him. Does anyone know where you can go to find out how your AL Rep voted on this and other bills? Thanks!

Almtnman

imported post

cowboy67 wrote:
I just got an email from the NRA stating that the bill was defeated. I contacted my congressman, Duayne(?SP) Bridges a few weeks ago and never heard back from him. Does anyone know where you can go to find out how your AL Rep voted on this and other bills? Thanks!

I would also like to know who voted this bill down of anyone can find out where the votes are listed.