Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 62

Thread: Speed of ejecting brass from a 1911??

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Northern Arizona, Arizona, USA
    Posts
    131

    Post imported post

    long story, but for the life of me I can't find any information on this. I want to know how fast does brass eject from a 1911 .45? In FPS...

  2. #2
    Regular Member rodbender's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Navasota, Texas, USA
    Posts
    2,524

    Post imported post

    Huh? Why?
    The thing about common sense is....it ain't too common.
    Will Rogers

  3. #3
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    across Death's Door on Washington Island, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    2,382

    Post imported post

    The barrel and slide are initially locked together as the mass conserving the projectile's momentum. Energy is lost to friction during the mass's recoil. The barrel disconnects and stops, imparting its momentum as impulse to the frame. The slide continues back still losing energy to friction including that of withdrawing the case from the chamber... and on and on.

    The angular momentum of the case will be the biggest unknown.

    The final solution will be empirical and statistical if it is to be meaningful, with lots of photographs.



  4. #4
    Regular Member Gunslinger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Free, Colorado, USA
    Posts
    3,855

    Post imported post

    Master Doug Huffman wrote:
    The barrel and slide are initially locked together as the mass conserving the projectile's momentum. Energy is lost to friction during the mass's recoil. The barrel disconnects and stops, imparting its momentum as impulse to the frame. The slide continues back still losing energy to friction including that of withdrawing the case from the chamber... and on and on.

    The angular momentum of the case will be the biggest unknown.

    The final solution will be empirical and statistical if it is to be meaningful, with lots of photographs.

    The weight of the recoil spring also comes into play, as that limits the speed of recoil to some degree. It is logical to assume an 18.5# spring will slow recoil more than a 16# spring--which some use when shooting low power loads in competition. Also the type of ammo--+P+ delivers more recoil motion than standard speed and would therefore quicken the ejection process. Barrel length is also a variable. No easy answer without a lot of data points.
    "For any man who sheds his blood with me this day shall be my brother...And gentlemen now abed shall think themselves accursed, they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whilst any speaks who fought with us on Crispin's day." Henry V

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Las Vegas, NV
    Posts
    1,140

    Post imported post

    Depends on the gun. My only advice, don't put your eye infront of it.

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    ParkHills, Missouri, USA
    Posts
    970

    Post imported post

    If you can configure a chrony into the mix, you may get a reading of some kind..

  7. #7
    Regular Member okboomer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Oklahoma, USA
    Posts
    1,164

    Post imported post

    Not fast enough tohurt you if it hits you, but fast enough to feel hot when it hits you ...

    SO's CZ throws the casings high and to the right ... usually where I am standing so now I have to wear a bandana tucked into the top of my shirt if I am in a tank top ... otherwise I am hopping around 'cause that is TENDER skin down there :what:
    cheers - okboomer
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Lead, follow, or get out of the way

    Exercising my 2A Rights does NOT make me a CRIMINAL! Infringing on the exercise of those rights makes YOU one!

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Northern Arizona, Arizona, USA
    Posts
    131

    Post imported post

    I appriciate your replies, here is the background as to why I'm askin this question.

    I was talking with this girl about photography since it's an interest of mine. I showed her a few pictures I have taken and one of the pictures caught her eye (of me shooting with 3 consecutive pieces of brass flying out of my kimber ultra carry). She said "this picture is obviously photoshopped" and I said "uhhhh, it's not actually." and she continued to tell me that she has a bachelors in photography and that I can't fool a pro.

    I told her that I took the picture with my Nikon D90 (which she stated was a bottom of the line amateur camera). She stated that the camera was too slow to take a picture of 3 consecutive brass coming out of my gun and that my camera isn't capable of capturing something that moves so fast, let alone 3 of them!

    So, since I know that the picture isn't photoshopped, I know that my camera is capable of it. But she is under the impression that brass flies out of guns at 800fps. If that were the case, I don't think my camera could catch 3 brass in the air.

    So I'm making an effort to find out the general speed of brass as it flies out of a 1911 ultra carry so that I can further give her understanding as to how my "amateur camera" caught so much action.

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Las Vegas, NV
    Posts
    1,140

    Post imported post

    She is confusing bullets vs. brass. Without a highspeed camera you can't capture a bullet. That being said, if your camera can do quick shots in a row, its not that hard. Photo example below.

    I dont know the MPH or FPS of the ejection, but its not fast enough to seriously hurt you unless you staring at it. I have a few scratched glasses (just ordered some new prescription schooting glasses at $500 because of this) and hit in the head all the time by someone elses brass.



  10. #10
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,616

    Post imported post

    rolexbenz190e wrote:
    I appriciate your replies, here is the background as to why I'm askin this question.

    I was talking with this girl about photography since it's an interest of mine. I showed her a few pictures I have taken and one of the pictures caught her eye (of me shooting with 3 consecutive pieces of brass flying out of my kimber ultra carry). She said "this picture is obviously photoshopped" and I said "uhhhh, it's not actually." and she continued to tell me that she has a bachelors in photography and that I can't fool a pro.

    I told her that I took the picture with my Nikon D90 (which she stated was a bottom of the line amateur camera). She stated that the camera was too slow to take a picture of 3 consecutive brass coming out of my gun and that my camera isn't capable of capturing something that moves so fast, let alone 3 of them!

    So, since I know that the picture isn't photoshopped, I know that my camera is capable of it. But she is under the impression that brass flies out of guns at 800fps. If that were the case, I don't think my camera could catch 3 brass in the air.

    So I'm making an effort to find out the general speed of brass as it flies out of a 1911 ultra carry so that I can further give her understanding as to how my "amateur camera" caught so much action.
    That is very funny - 800fps indeed!!

    You friend may have some sophisticated knowledge of cameras but is clueless about guns and ammo.

    In relatively non high tech terms that a layman should be able to understand, a standard .45 ACP projectile goes down range at approximately 835-875 fps and is virtually impossible to see with the naked eye.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.45_ACP

    On the other hand, I can and have caught ejected brass from a 1911 with my bare hands - good for hand eye coordination. I would NOT be doing that at 800 fps! If I had to guess, I'd say the ejected .45 ACP cases from a 1911 are moving at about 10 - 20 fps.

    Yata hey
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Las Vegas, NV
    Posts
    1,140

    Post imported post

    Eh? I'd guess around 100 FPS, because baseball players do about 100 FPS+


  12. #12
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,616

    Post imported post

    Pace wrote:
    Eh? I'd guess around 100 FPS, because baseball players do about 100 FPS+
    Very few pitchers join the 100 mph club. Ever caught a 75 mph pitch barehanded?

    Nonetheless, the variance between your "guesstimate" and mine is less important than the shock and disbelief that anyone would assert that brass from a handgun is ejected at 800 fps.

    Yata hey
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  13. #13
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Las Vegas, NV
    Posts
    1,140

    Post imported post

    I didn't say 100 MPH, I said 100 FPS. Big difference.

  14. #14
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,616

    Post imported post

    Pace wrote:
    I didn't say 100 MPH, I said 100 FPS. Big difference.
    Whoops - Eyes first, brain second, then reply - I skipped part 2 :?

    100 Feet per Second = 68.18181818181819 Miles per Hour
    http://www.calculateme.com/Speed/Fee...lesperHour.htm

    Yata hey
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  15. #15
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Northern Arizona, Arizona, USA
    Posts
    131

    Post imported post

    This is the picture that I showed here and that I'm referring to in my posts:


    (yes its me in the picture, set the tripod up and set it on timer)

    So as you can see, there are 3 pieces of brass in the air, and she couldn't fathom my camera being able to take a picture like that. For $1400, it better freaking be able to take a picture like that.

  16. #16
    Regular Member buster81's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Richmond, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    1,461

    Post imported post

    disregard

  17. #17
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    across Death's Door on Washington Island, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    2,382

    Post imported post

    Grapeshot wrote:
    If I had to guess, I'd say the ejected .45 ACP cases from a 1911 are moving at about 10 - 20 fps. Yata hey
    I think that's a good guess. Bang - tinkle ~a second. Look at the arc the case follows ~10 - 20 feet.

  18. #18
    Regular Member Superlite27's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    God's Country, Missouri
    Posts
    1,279

    Post imported post

    You have all missed the entire opportunity.

    Will someone please invite this poor uneducated soul to GO SHOOTING and take pictures for herself?

    What? You mean invite someone to go shooting and introduce them to a new and interesting hobby they can possibly become addicted to while simultaneously educating them?

    NO! We'd rather sit around and argue with her and point out her ignorance.

    Bunch of......

    Well I've never.....

  19. #19
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Northern Arizona, Arizona, USA
    Posts
    131

    Post imported post

    Her and I have gone shooting before cause she is my friend's girlfriend. Shooting isn't new to her, she just thinks shells fly at horrendous amounts of speed and that my camera couldn't take a picture of 3 consecutive shells lol. I tried explaining to her that if brass flew at 800fps, anyone who was hit by it could suffer fatal injuries. She stuck with her opinion.

  20. #20
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    SMITHFIELD, North Carolina, USA
    Posts
    270

    Post imported post

    Master Doug Huffman wrote:
    The barrel and slide are initially locked together as the mass conserving the projectile's momentum. Energy is lost to friction during the mass's recoil. The barrel disconnects and stops, imparting its momentum as impulse to the frame. The slide continues back still losing energy to friction including that of withdrawing the case from the chamber... and on and on.

    The angular momentum of the case will be the biggest unknown.

    The final solution will be empirical and statistical if it is to be meaningful, with lots of photographs.

    translation: "I don't have a flucking clue."

  21. #21
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    across Death's Door on Washington Island, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    2,382

    Post imported post

    Yep, a good error is better than a bad question. Thank you for your progressive contribution.


  22. #22
    Regular Member 1245A Defender's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    north mason county, Washington, USA
    Posts
    4,381

    Post imported post

    there is nothing special about a pic of a juggeler with several balls in the air, and your pic is no differant.

    i want to say, that is a WAY good pic!:celebrate
    the brass is pretty sharp so high shutter speed.

    try setting up the camera at exectlly right angles to the brass tragectory, then snap pics at 1/10sec, figure the length of the blurred brasses flight to multiply out the FPS.

    ive been into photography since 1969, the real kind, want to buy a color enlarger, analyzer, drums, timers, etc, adnausium?? ive get EVERTHING...
    EMNofSeattle wrote: Your idea of freedom terrifies me. So you are actually right. I am perfectly happy with what you call tyranny.....

    “If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.”

    Stand up for your Rights,, They have no authority on their own...

    All power is inherent in the people,
    it is their right and duty to be at all times ARMED!

  23. #23
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Las Vegas, NV
    Posts
    1,140

    Post imported post

    Man, either you are pissed or taking a dump.

    On a serious note, confused about your thumb and forehand placement. Maybe its the angle?

    rolexbenz190e wrote:
    This is the picture that I showed here and that I'm referring to in my posts:


    (yes its me in the picture, set the tripod up and set it on timer)

    So as you can see, there are 3 pieces of brass in the air, and she couldn't fathom my camera being able to take a picture like that. For $1400, it better freaking be able to take a picture like that.

  24. #24
    Regular Member buster81's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Richmond, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    1,461

    Post imported post

    The angle makes it tough, but based on that picture and these assumptions:

    - you pulled the trigger three timeswithin 1 second

    - the farthest piece of brass is about4 feet away

    Does4 fps sound too slow?

  25. #25
    Regular Member 1245A Defender's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    north mason county, Washington, USA
    Posts
    4,381

    Post imported post

    buster81 wrote:
    The angle makes it tough, but based on that picture and these assumptions:

    - you pulled the trigger three timeswithin 1 second

    - the farthest piece of brass is about4 feet away

    Does4 fps sound too slow?
    i applaud you for seeing the evidence in such pure terms.
    im thinkin 1/2sec for,,,, bang, bang, bang, click the pic.
    so i get 8 fps

    the distance of the farthest brass, and the amount of time, are the variables.
    EMNofSeattle wrote: Your idea of freedom terrifies me. So you are actually right. I am perfectly happy with what you call tyranny.....

    “If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.”

    Stand up for your Rights,, They have no authority on their own...

    All power is inherent in the people,
    it is their right and duty to be at all times ARMED!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •