• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Speed of ejecting brass from a 1911??

across Death's Door on Washington Island, Wisconsi
imported post

The barrel and slide are initially locked together as the mass conserving the projectile's momentum. Energy is lost to friction during the mass's recoil. The barrel disconnects and stops, imparting its momentum as impulse to the frame. The slide continues back still losing energy to friction including that of withdrawing the case from the chamber... and on and on.

The angular momentum of the case will be the biggest unknown.

The final solution will be empirical and statistical if it is to be meaningful, with lots of photographs.

Gunslinger

imported post

Master Doug Huffman wrote:
The barrel and slide are initially locked together as the mass conserving the projectile's momentum. Energy is lost to friction during the mass's recoil. The barrel disconnects and stops, imparting its momentum as impulse to the frame. The slide continues back still losing energy to friction including that of withdrawing the case from the chamber... and on and on.

The final solution will be empirical and statistical if it is to be meaningful, with lots of photographs.
The weight of the recoil spring also comes into play, as that limits the speed of recoil to some degree. It is logical to assume an 18.5# spring will slow recoil more than a 16# spring--which some use when shooting low power loads in competition. Also the type of ammo--+P+ delivers more recoil motion than standard speed and would therefore quicken the ejection process. Barrel length is also a variable. No easy answer without a lot of data points.

okboomer

imported post

Not fast enough tohurt you if it hits you, but fast enough to feel hot when it hits you ...

SO's CZ throws the casings high and to the right ... usually where I am standing so now I have to wear a bandana tucked into the top of my shirt if I am in a tank top ... otherwise I am hopping around 'cause that is TENDER skin down there :what:

rolexbenz190e

imported post

I appriciate your replies, here is the background as to why I'm askin this question.

I was talking with this girl about photography since it's an interest of mine. I showed her a few pictures I have taken and one of the pictures caught her eye (of me shooting with 3 consecutive pieces of brass flying out of my kimber ultra carry). She said "this picture is obviously photoshopped" and I said "uhhhh, it's not actually." and she continued to tell me that she has a bachelors in photography and that I can't fool a pro.

I told her that I took the picture with my Nikon D90 (which she stated was a bottom of the line amateur camera). She stated that the camera was too slow to take a picture of 3 consecutive brass coming out of my gun and that my camera isn't capable of capturing something that moves so fast, let alone 3 of them!

So, since I know that the picture isn't photoshopped, I know that my camera is capable of it. But she is under the impression that brass flies out of guns at 800fps. If that were the case, I don't think my camera could catch 3 brass in the air.

So I'm making an effort to find out the general speed of brass as it flies out of a 1911 ultra carry so that I can further give her understanding as to how my "amateur camera" caught so much action.

Pace

imported post

She is confusing bullets vs. brass. Without a highspeed camera you can't capture a bullet. That being said, if your camera can do quick shots in a row, its not that hard. Photo example below.

I dont know the MPH or FPS of the ejection, but its not fast enough to seriously hurt you unless you staring at it. I have a few scratched glasses (just ordered some new prescription schooting glasses at $500 because of this) and hit in the head all the time by someone elses brass.

IMG_9725processed-vi.jpg

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

rolexbenz190e wrote:
I appriciate your replies, here is the background as to why I'm askin this question.

I was talking with this girl about photography since it's an interest of mine. I showed her a few pictures I have taken and one of the pictures caught her eye (of me shooting with 3 consecutive pieces of brass flying out of my kimber ultra carry). She said "this picture is obviously photoshopped" and I said "uhhhh, it's not actually." and she continued to tell me that she has a bachelors in photography and that I can't fool a pro.

I told her that I took the picture with my Nikon D90 (which she stated was a bottom of the line amateur camera). She stated that the camera was too slow to take a picture of 3 consecutive brass coming out of my gun and that my camera isn't capable of capturing something that moves so fast, let alone 3 of them!

So, since I know that the picture isn't photoshopped, I know that my camera is capable of it. But she is under the impression that brass flies out of guns at 800fps. If that were the case, I don't think my camera could catch 3 brass in the air.

So I'm making an effort to find out the general speed of brass as it flies out of a 1911 ultra carry so that I can further give her understanding as to how my "amateur camera" caught so much action.
That is very funny - 800fps indeed!!

You friend may have some sophisticated knowledge of cameras but is clueless about guns and ammo.

In relatively non high tech terms that a layman should be able to understand, a standard .45 ACP projectile goes down range at approximately 835-875 fps and is virtually impossible to see with the naked eye.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.45_ACP

On the other hand, I can and have caught ejected brass from a 1911 with my bare hands - good for hand eye coordination. I would NOT be doing that at 800 fps! If I had to guess, I'd say the ejected .45 ACP cases from a 1911 are moving at about 10 - 20 fps.

Yata hey

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Pace wrote:
Eh? I'd guess around 100 FPS, because baseball players do about 100 FPS+
Very few pitchers join the 100 mph club. Ever caught a 75 mph pitch barehanded?

Nonetheless, the variance between your "guesstimate" and mine is less important than the shock and disbelief that anyone would assert that brass from a handgun is ejected at 800 fps.

Yata hey

rolexbenz190e

imported post

This is the picture that I showed here and that I'm referring to in my posts:

DSC_0048.jpg

(yes its me in the picture, set the tripod up and set it on timer)

So as you can see, there are 3 pieces of brass in the air, and she couldn't fathom my camera being able to take a picture like that. For $1400, it better freaking be able to take a picture like that.

Superlite27

imported post

You have all missed the entire opportunity.

Will someone please invite this poor uneducated soul to GO SHOOTING and take pictures for herself?

What? You mean invite someone to go shooting and introduce them to a new and interesting hobby they can possibly become addicted to while simultaneously educating them?

NO! We'd rather sit around and argue with her and point out her ignorance.

Bunch of......

Well I've never.....

rolexbenz190e

imported post

Her and I have gone shooting before cause she is my friend's girlfriend. Shooting isn't new to her, she just thinks shells fly at horrendous amounts of speed and that my camera couldn't take a picture of 3 consecutive shells lol. I tried explaining to her that if brass flew at 800fps, anyone who was hit by it could suffer fatal injuries. She stuck with her opinion.

Anthony_I_Am

imported post

Master Doug Huffman wrote:

translation: "I don't have a flucking clue."