• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

I do believe introductions are in order.

Keroman

imported post

Hello folks. My name's Kevin and I live in Lynnwood, WA. I was referred here by I met while playing a round of Modern Warfare 2. He went by the name Paddy|SeattleGuns.net and recommended joining up here.

I'm 24 years old, born and raised here in Washington, though I did live in Las Vegas for about 2 1/2 years. I went to Mountlake Terrace High School and graduated in '04. I recently enlisted in the Navy, and I'll be leaving for boot camp in August. In the meantime I hope to meet some interesting folks around here.

In the meantime before being shipped out I teach driver's ed at a company called SWERVE Driver Training. You may have seen our cars around the north and east sides, they're the Toyota Scion XB's with brightly colored logos. My work car is named Woody. :p

The only gun I own is a S&W Sigma SW9VE. I'm well aware of the old 9mm vs. .45 debate and after a little browsing I was glad to see a number of people on here support personal preference without just saying one is better than the other and leaving it at that. I have nothing against .45 ACP I just prefer having the ability to send more lead at my target without having to reload (I usually only have one magazine with me when I carry.)

I do have a CPL and I carry concealed when I make trips down into Seattle or other rough spots in the area. I haven't yet open-carried, mainly because I only have an inside-the-waistband holster. I'll have to give it a try sometime soon for sure.

My roommate has 4 guns at the moment: 3 rifles and a pistol. The first rifle is a Mosin-Nagant M91/30, the second is the shorter carbine version, the Mosin-Nagant M44, and the third is the Ruger 10/22 which is great for plinking! The pistol is a Zastava M57, the Yugoslavian version of the Russian Tokarev TT-33 which holds 9 rounds instead of 8. Even if someone busts in here with body armor and my 9mm doesn't stop 'em there's no way they'll stand up to a hefty 7.62x54R round from one of the Mosins!

Back in June a bunch of friends and I went on a camping trip up near Lake Shannon and brought along a bunch of guns. Here's a few videos we took.
Me firing my Sigma and an Astra A-100 akimbo:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMj-t3R6L7M

All of us firing a multitude of guns. The list of guns is in the video info:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62f8dJuChno

Another haul-off with the Bersa switched out for the Ruger 10/22:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YryZBIzx8gA

There's some other videos on my Youtube account but they're mostly of us shooting at eggs or vodka bottles (no we didn't drink, we found an empty bottle at the campsite. :p) If you look at the '(person) vs. Tree' videos you'll see us literally shoot down a tree!

While we were up there our neighbors at the next site over showed off their guns. One was a single-shot break action .410 shotgun and the other was a gold-plated .357 revolver. I forget the exact models of both, but I got to shoot the shotgun and it was pretty fun!

I hope you enjoyed the wall o' text and the videos. I'm looking to sell my pistol here soon. I bought it new and I estimate that it's had less than 5,000 rounds through it. If you're interested please let me know. I'd rather not have a firearm that I'm responsible for but don't have direct access to once I head off to boot camp. I'm sure I'll be able to afford to buy a new one by the time I decide to retire from Navy life. ;)

Edit: When I go shooting my friends and I usually take a drive out to Sultan where there's a rock quarry that's frequently used by plinkers. It's really the only place we can fire the Mosins since my friends and I don't really care for the Kenmore range (i.e. you can only use ammo you bought here!) It's only about a 30-45 minute drive, and maybe some of you folks have been there. If you haven't then I'd be glad to give you directions and maybe I'll see you out there!

OrangeIsTrouble

imported post

Hey, hey hey. I was actually looking into a 9 sigma (everyone keeps telling me they are crap) for cheapness, or a glock 26 if I can get the money.

How much were you thinking for the sigma?

Welcome aboard, Paddys a good guy, he set up the 12/18 puyallup meetup. Maybe he will set up another one soon?

Keroman

imported post

Poosharker: The gun is very nice. I'm not a crack shot or anything but I can get a good grouping at up to 50 ft. with it so it's not inaccurate by any stretch of the imagination. I've got a bunch of days off this next week and am considering going shooting pretty soon. Maybe we can hook up. I'll bring it along with me to the meetup tomorrow so you can check it out. I bought it about 2 years back for $350 or so. I'd settle for $250 now.

Bookman: Yeah, he did mention a BBQ but I didn't realize it was going to be today! I'll totally try to be there!

Batousaii

imported post

Welcome to the Forum :) Always a good place to find info and support.

- Unfortunately i wont be able to make the Belevue meet, work on Sat. However, i will be at the 20th Show in Puyallup.

;)Glad you found us.

antispam540

imported post

Keroman wrote:
I have nothing against .45 ACP I just prefer having the ability to send more lead at my target without having to reload (I usually only have one magazine with me when I carry.)
They make drum mags for 1911s :celebrate

swatspyder

imported post

antispam540 wrote:
Keroman wrote:
I have nothing against .45 ACP I just prefer having the ability to send more lead at my target without having to reload (I usually only have one magazine with me when I carry.)
They make drum mags for 1911s :celebrate
Might want to think about at least 2 mags, on in your gun and one on your hip. There's always a chance of a magazine failure.

kito109654

imported post

Welcome to OCDO!

On that mag note, I carry two spares on my support side too. Consider it. Plus, practicing reloading drills while "shooting on the move" is crazy fun!

Keroman

imported post

Yeah, I don't know if I'd be comfortable carrying a drum mag around with me for use in self-defense. I know there's guns like the Glock 21 and the USP Match/Expert that have fairly high capacity compared to other .45s but they're all pretty well out of my price range.

As far as carrying more mags I do have a spare mag pouch in my holster where I can keep another one. I usually keep an empty one in my gun, though after reading some of the personal self-defense stories on here I'll probably start carrying cocked and locked. Practicing drawing quickly isn't as high of a priority as, like I mentioned, I'm going to be selling my pistol soon so I don't have to worry about it being registered in my name when I'm called in to serve for my country.

Speaking of which. Is there a private transfer-of-ownership form I can have someone fill out and turn in when I sell my gun? I know that when I bought my pistol at the store there was a number of forms to fill out so I'm fairly sure that if the authorities looked up the serial number on my gun it would lead them to me. Once that gun's out of my possession I'd prefer not to have that happen. If (by some unfortunate circumstance) my gun were used in the commission of a violent crime I'd hate to be dragged out of my bunk to face a military tribunal, even if I can prove my innocence.

In a similar vein my roommate's Tokarev would be under my name too as I bought it for him for his birthday.

Am I just worrying too much over nothing?

SpyderTattoo

imported post

Keroman wrote:

My Glock 21SF holds 13+1... That enough ammo for you? Besides, the handgun is for getting you safely to your truck where you have your M4... :cool: I'm just sayin'...

ETA:

And Glock's will probably cost you less than most other guns, especially those sexy 1911's.

SpyderTattoo

imported post

There is no requirement in Wa to document a private transfer. No gun registration here. Just give him the cash and take your new gun. That's it.

OrangeIsTrouble

imported post

SpyderTattoo wrote:
There is no requirement in Wa to document a private transfer. No gun registration here. Just give him the cash and take your new gun. That's it.
He's worried about the other way around.

There is a form on the DOL site, that you can have the buyer fill out to show that you sold it to him and are no longer in possession of that handgun.

I'll do a quick search and edit this when I find it.

BTW, I'll pass on the sw9.

Edited to add:

Direct link to the PDF to print out.

http://www.dol.wa.gov/forms/652004.pdf

ghosthunter

imported post

Poosharker

I have one. It is my main gun. I am very happy with it . If you buy one new you get two mags with it and email the receipt to S&W and get two mags free from them.

I got mine for 299.00 plus tax at Sportsmans warehouse. I saw them awhile back for the same price from Wholesale Sports in Burlington.

OrangeIsTrouble

imported post

ghosthunter wrote:
Poosharker

I have one. It is my main gun. I am very happy with it . If you buy one new you get two mags with it and email the receipt to S&W and get two mags free from them.

I got mine for 299.00 plus tax at Sportsmans warehouse. I saw them awhile back for the same price from Wholesale Sports in Burlington.
That's why I am passing on it. :)

But problem is.....I am not 21 I can only get one thru private sale.

antispam540

imported post

When I sell a gun privately, I just write down the serial number, the buyer's D/L number, and have him sign a little sentence saying he's legally able to purchase a firearm in the state.

amlevin

imported post

Keroman wrote:
There's some other videos on my Youtube account but they're mostly of us shooting at eggs or vodka bottles (no we didn't drink, we found an empty bottle at the campsite. :p) If you look at the '(person) vs. Tree' videos you'll see us literally shoot down a tree!
I'd like to offer a welcome also.

Some things to consider----
the items I put in boldare why we are loosing more and more outdoor shooting areas. The eggs are cool but did you bother to pick up the broken glass???

Why shoot down the tree??? Just gives those that accuse target shooters of unnecessary damage to the area more ammunition.

Next time consider setting up some paper targets on a cardboard box or the like. When done clean up and leave the area like nobody had been shooting there. If not, just expect another "NO SHOOTING" sign there in the future.

Target shooting is supposed improve your skills, not just see how much you can destroy.

Give it some thought.

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
imported post

amlevin wrote:
Keroman wrote:

the items I put in boldare why we are loosing more and more outdoor shooting areas. The eggs are cool but did you bother to pick up the broken glass???

Why shoot down the tree??? Just gives those that accuse target shooters of unnecessary damage to the area more ammunition.

Next time consider setting up some paper targets on a cardboard box or the like. When done clean up and leave the area like nobody had been shooting there. If not, just expect another "NO SHOOTING" sign there in the future.

Target shooting is supposed improve your skills, not just see how much you can destroy.

Give it some thought.
+1 I was actually appalled by the lack of respect four our enviroment and shooting area.

antispam540

imported post

amlevin wrote:
Keroman wrote:

Give it some thought.
+1