• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Ruger p95?

sovereigngrace

imported post

I'm thinking of getting a ruger p95 mainly for OC and HD.
I've looked at other guns in the price range (S&W Sigma, Taurus millennium pro ect.) But I keep coming back to the ruger p95.
I was just wondering, if anyone carries this gun on a regular basis what do you think of it?
Any other suggestions that would be comparable to the p95 would be appreciated.

Pagan

imported post

I carry the P93, which is the same gun except for the the P93 is DAO and not DA/SA like the 95 and the 93 has an alloy frame not polymer. The P95 is an awesome weapon, accurate, super reliable, mags are cheap and plentiful. The newer models have a rail under the dust cover, and a much improved grip tecture.

I am going to upgrade to one when my funds allow it. Though I like the 93 because the DAO gives a long trigger press each time while wearing gloves in the coldand the 95 in the SA mode would be too sensitive with thick gloves on,IMO.

I would get a 95 in stainless, they all have a polymer frames. My best friend had a 95 about 7 years ago, and swears it shot as good as his G17 does now.

The ruger P series are like the AK47 of pistols IMO, not the prettiest or the most accurate, but reliable and will put your rounds center mass every time.

hope that helps.

Article1section23

imported post

sovereigngrace wrote:
I've looked at other guns in the price range (S&W Sigma, Taurus millennium pro ect.) But I keep coming back to the ruger p95.
I was just wondering, if anyone carries this gun on a regular basis what do you think of it?
Sov,

Like Pagan said, they are tanks. I had a p95 (and 94), nice gun, 10 rd mag, shot ok. Had a long trigger pull. I don't think you can go wrong with it, if that is what you want. I would stay away from sigma and millennium. I would say go with glock and suggest you shoot one (and other brands) before you make your choice...if you haven't already. Again, nothing wrong with p95 if that is what you want...go for it!

sovereigngrace

imported post

Shawn wrote:
sovereigngrace wrote:
Sov,

Like Pagan said, they are tanks.  I had a p95 (and 94), nice gun, 10 rd mag, shot ok.  Had a long trigger pull.  I don't think you can go wrong with it, if that is what you want.  I would stay away from sigma and millennium.  I would say go with glock and suggest you shoot one (and other brands) before you make your choice...if you haven't already.  Again, nothing wrong with p95 if that is what you want...go for it!

I have looked at glocks as well. But I have my reservations about them though.
I also just looked at the full size Bersa thunder 9mm. I am trying to find out more about em' they look and sound like good guns.
I'm definitely going to do more research before I decide though.

nova

imported post

Pagan wrote:
I carry the P93, which is the same gun except for the the P93 is DAO and not DA/SA like the 95 and the 93 has an alloy frame not polymer. The P95 is an awesome weapon, accurate, super reliable, mags are cheap and plentiful. The newer models have a rail under the dust cover, and a much improved grip tecture.

I am going to upgrade to one when my funds allow it. Though I like the 93 because the DAO gives a long trigger press each time while wearing gloves in the coldand the 95 in the SA mode would be too sensitive with thick gloves on,IMO.

I would get a 95 in stainless, they all have a polymer frames. My best friend had a 95 about 7 years ago, and swears it shot as good as his G17 does now.

The ruger P series are like the AK47 of pistols IMO, not the prettiest or the most accurate, but reliable and will put your rounds center mass every time.

hope that helps.
FYI Ruger did make the P93 in traditional DA/SA, and they also made the P95 in DAO. Some are more common than others though, depending on the demand at the time.
I agree with everything else you said though, they're good guns. :)

shad0wfax

imported post

I have a P95 DC that has thousands of rounds through it. Recently I had to get a new extractor from Ruger because mine failed. Apparently the cam-block assembly was unusually worn so that was replaced as well. It's fairly accurate and it's safe and inexpensive.

KBCraig

imported post

I carry a P97 (.45, decocker), and have zero complaints other than having to hitch my pants up now and then (it's not a lightweight).

For duty carry, I'm issued a P89 (9mm, DAO, alloy instead of polymer), and those pistols have been in use for over 15 years, with well over 10,000 rounds apiece fired during training, and the most serious wear issue is that the white dot sights are more like dull gray spots now.

Full size Rugers are tanks, whether semis or revolvers. You can't beat them for reliability and price.

mercutio545

imported post

Yeah, P95's are way overbuilt, which is a good thing as far as reliability goes. I had one for a little while. Not the most accurate gun, but didn't have any problems with it. It would make for a great HD pistol, but not real comfortable for EDC.

The Millenium series is actually pretty good, depending on the caliber you want. My girlfriend has a PT111 (9mm) that hasn't skipped a beat. It eats everything and spits it out (including a ton of +P+ Gold Dot @ 40,000 PSI). Some of their guns aren't great, but they got the PT111 right.