• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Shooting at University of Alabama - Huntsville

XD40coyote

imported post

The gun jams and they pushed her out the door and barricaded the room? I'd have knocked her down and pounded her face with my fists and sat on her till the police arrived LOL. Oh andI would have got control of the gun. If it was jammed, I'd have cleared it and probably stuck it in her face till the cops arrived, or just plain unloaded it.

Oh and for the record I never learned to fight as a kid, and was never encouraged to. Any actions involving knocking someone down and punching them would come as instinctual, as well as learned via observation ( watch football games for knockdowns LOL). I am also good at welding makeshift clubs.

Even those raised as "pansies" can overcome being pansified.

Keep in mind a barricaded door, unless it is a thick metal door, is not bulletproof.

Alexcabbie

imported post

Has anyone mentioned or noticed what I just heard on Limbaugh? Namely that this woman was a HUGE Ubamanista. A big old Brady-type Leftie. I wonder if she was a member of any Bradyite groups? Boy, you know the drive-bys would have a field day if she was a poster on OCDO.

I have seen her pic and the poster who said that any woman with that hairstyle is probably nutso is spot-on right. If she came walking up to my cab at the subway, I would lock the doors, claim "radio call" and drive away. Why can't people spot lunatics anymore?

XD40coyote

imported post

Alexcabbie wrote:
Has anyone mentioned or noticed what I just heard on Limbaugh? Namely that this woman was a HUGE Ubamanista. A big old Brady-type Leftie. I wonder if she was a member of any Bradyite groups? Boy, you know the drive-bys would have a field day if she was a poster on OCDO.

I have seen her pic and the poster who said that any woman with that hairstyle is probably nutso is spot-on right. If she came walking up to my cab at the subway, I would lock the doors, claim "radio call" and drive away. Why can't people spot lunatics anymore?

I am that poster who said that. Well good to see someone else who gets the ol 6th sense seeing her pic. The hairstyle thing is uncanny, and I know it sounds loony all by itself, but I observe and remember certain things and I am just saying what I have noticed.

Why can't people spot lunatics anymore? I can, just fine. Takes one to know one, eh? LOL! I've had on and off issues with depression and had a rage thing going on in my early 20's ( probably hormones and extreme stress). I utilized art and writing as a stopgap ( you know how artists are all nuts LOL). When it got too bad, I saw the doc. Boy wasI embarrassed! Shamefulness, that's the definer. All these years later, though I may whine about stupid things, I would never ever lose control. It would take a brain tumor, major head trauma, or some asswipe putting pcp into my food or something, for me to "lose it". Simple enough- I am not a sociopath, I do not have bipolar disorder ( which in it's severe forms can make one rather loony), and I am not scitzophrenic ( and keep in mind most scitzophremics wouldn't harm a thing but maybe themselves).

The people who do these awful things are generally sociopaths, combined with whatever other issues they have. They have personality disorders. They are selfish ( sociopathy) and want their way. When they can't, they have adult temper tantrums. Ted Bundy is a great one to study. Look at his courtroom behavior.

Cho, VA Tech: I am still waiting to find out more about what his mental health issues were defined as. On whatI have gleaned, he was autistic, probably aspergers on that spectrum. There is the possibility of paranoid scitzophrenia or some other delusion producing disorder ( his alter ego Ishmael Ax). He had severe depression, with the "rage" form.

Alexcabbie

imported post

Oh there were a bunch of warning signs with this lady. Once she went into an IHOP with her infant and discovered that the last hi-chair had been taken and DEMANDED that the party give the hi-chair to her beccuase she was a high-falutin' professor. Still and all, what really cracks me up is the fact that when her shotgun jammed, they did not rush her and hold her but rather threw her out and barricaded their unarmed selves.

Instance after instance of multiple fatal shootings by nutbars, all in "gun-free" soft environments (even the Washington State Police shootings, where the killer surprised the cops and where an LAC could have surprised the killer and saved a few cops) and yet the problem is "too many guns".

I have this view of the police: The shield they wear is a shield given them by the people. It is meant to show the BGs that the cops have our protection. It does NOT mean that we have surrendered responsibility for our protection to them. Somewhere along the line this idea got lost, and the cops in Braintree Mass. really screwed up the first time she killed somebody.

I am afraid that the real problem is far, far beyond gun issues and goes to political corrrectness and the growing fear that pointing out danger might subject one to opprobriun, lawsuts or worse. Back in the day, for instance, there was the "welcome wagon" organization that when a newbie moved in to a community they would send a delegation with a basket of goodies and have a talk with the new arrival. There's a world of good that comes from people knowing that the neighbors care. Over the last 30 years this has more and more been noticably lacking. 30 years ago, if you told the "Welcome Wagon" to go peddle their papers; then all well and good. But if you did that everyone would know to keep an eye on you. If there is one factor that has led to the way things are these days, then IMO it is the disappearence of "community". I wonder if the parents of this woman's freinds - when she was a schoolgirl - knew her parents and talked with them. When I was a kid, my pals' folks knew mine, and they kept joint tabs on us. Not that we didn't try stuff and not that we never got away with it, but it was hard. And I and my friends are no doubt today not behind bars or dead because of it.

To make this into a "gun issue" is not just to grossly oversimplify it, but rather to ignore a multitude of issues that have little or nothing to do with firearms per se. But I suppose it is easier to just say : "See? GUNS!" than to deal with the breakdown of community that led up to this.

TFred

imported post

Some recent work by Oleg Volk:

single_shot_3346.jpg

http://olegvolk.net/gallery/technology/arms/single_shot_3346.jpg.html

TFred

Alexcabbie

imported post

Oddly enough I have been considering carrying a cap=and-ball revolver. They might be unwieldy, slow on the reload (extremely) and have other disadvantages, but the damage a .44 caliber Minie ball can do rivals anything any modern pistol caliber will on human flesh and bone. Plus also that belch of black-powder smoke can be used to tactical advantage if one is resourceful....

TFred

imported post

Of course, what they should be talking about is changing the law to allow concealed carry on college campuses...

TFred

http://blog.al.com/breaking/2010/02/post_163.html

State legislators not inclined to look at gun laws in wake of UAH shooting
By Bob Lowry
February 18, 2010, 2:20PM

MONTGOMERY -- State legislators indicated no sentiment Thursday to toughen gun laws in wake of last week's deadly shootings at the University of Alabama at Huntsville.

A sampling of Democratic and Republican lawmakers interviewed by The Times generally said Alabama's laws are strong enough and the shootings at UAH were already covered by gun permit laws and UAH's campus ban on weapons.

Dr. Amy Bishop is facing capital murder charges in the shooting deaths of three of her colleagues at a faculty meeting last Friday.

There are only two bills in the Legislature this session dealing with gun policy, and both are supported by the National Rifle Association.

One, sponsored by Rep. Jeremy Oden, R-Eva, would repeal a state law that bans the sale and possession of sawed-off shotguns and rifles.

A second by Sen. Roger Bedford, D-Russellville, would allow employees to take firearms and ammunition to the workplace as long as they are stored in their vehicles.

Both bills are in position for final passage.

"I'm an NRA member, but I've got some trepidation about telling an employer you can't have a policy that you can't carry a gun and leave it in your car," said Rep. Mike Hubbard, R-Auburn. "That puts some liability on the employer."

Sen. Vivian Figures, D-Mobile, said she would support legislation opposite to what Bedford is proposing, based on incidents similar to the UAH shooting and job-related shootings around the country.

"It bears on the economic situation where people are losing jobs, the heightened emotion where people are not being able to take care of their families, with the potential of losing their jobs and not having health insurance," she said. "You never know what people are going through."

According to the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, Alabama has weak gun laws that help feed the illegal gun market and allows the sale of guns without background checks. In the organization's 2009 state scorecards for all 50 states, Alabama earned just 16 points out of a total of 100.

But Sen. Lowell Barron, D-Fyffe, said he doesn't favor any changes in Alabama's gun laws.

"I think our gun policies are all right," he said. "Guns are not the problem. People have the right to have the guns. The system failed (in the UAH case), people have failed to recognize and to act on her (Bishop) bizarre behavior, and I don't think you can blame any one person."

Several legislators, such as Rep. Mike Ball, R-Madison, said it would be premature for the Legislature, to consider legislation based solely on the UAH incident.

"When you have an incident like that, it's very important for lawmakers to resist the urge to do anything out of a knee-jerk reaction," he said. "Oftentimes when we act under emotion rather than thinking, a lot of times we do too much or do the wrong thing."

Reps. Mac McCutcheon, R-Capshaw, said the Legislature should look at laws already in place and possible refine them.

"We've got a lot of laws the universities could fall back on as far as gun issues," he said.

Rep. Micky Hammon, R-Decatur, said he favors leaving gun laws as they are, adding that law-abiding gun owners should not be punished for the acts of criminals.

Dreamer

imported post

BUMP...

Ms. Bishop has now been indicted in MA with the murder of her brother in 1986.

If the boys in blue in Massachusetts had gotten this one right in 1986, she would have NEVER even been in AL, and those three innocent lives would have been saved....

Gee, Governor Patrick, how's that "tough on crime" thing working out for ya?

http://news.bostonherald.com/news/regional/view/20100616da_to_announce_findings_in_1986_bishop_death_inquiry/srvc=home&position=0

Amy Bishop indicted in brother’s ’86 murder
By Edward Mason
Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Amy Bishop was indicted today for the murder of her brother, 18-year-old Seth Bishop, in their Braintree home in 1986.

The indictment by a Norfolk grand jury was announced by District Attorney William Keating, who convened the grand jury.

“We’re being the voice of Seth Bishop. We’re doing our job but there’s no satisfaction when it’s built upon tragedy upon tragedy,” Keating said.

Of the more than 20 years that passed from the killing of Seth Bishop to the shootings on the University of Alabama campus, Keating said “jobs were not done . . . responsibilities were not met.”

Bishop will return to Massachusetts to face the murder rap unless she is sentenced to death in Alabama, Keating said.

“I don’t think it’s saving face,” Keeting said of the belated indictment. “I think it’s dealing with a responsibility that’s unmet. If I were the families in Alabama I would be furious.”
Keating also said he contacted the district attorneys in Alabama to inform them of the indictment.

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Obviously this is an elaborate hoax.

1) No guns are allowed on campus, so this never happened
2) A flaming leftist professor who supports no guns on campus
3) Would never own a gun
4) Or bring it on campus (see #1)
5) Or point it at anyone
6) Or pull the trigger
7) Because she helps enforce #1

This is a lie, it never happened. In fact, none of the people mentioned even exist. Also, there are no such things as guns. Oh, and air is illegal.

[/sarcasm]