Results 1 to 19 of 19

Thread: Why regularly open carry when concealed is an option?

  1. #1
    Regular Member Rottie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Somewhere out there
    Posts
    129

    Post imported post

    Hello everyone! I am new to the forum, though notin any way new to the exercise of my second ammendament right to keep and bear arms. I was recently turned on to this organization by a friend, but wasn't too sure I wanted to join without taking the time to look the site over and read several posts. I am happy to say that you have all been good ambassadors for the movement of Open Carry. Most all of the posts and responses I have read seem to be respectful and informative.

    I have carried a firearm daily for well over 10 years. For a portion of those years my firearm was displayed openly as part of my employment, but now rests at my side concealed for daily carry. I left my agency to finish college in order to be able to better financially support my growing family. I have been fortunate to reach that goal and to do so in a manner that still allows me by profession to work closely with my LEO counterparts. I still carry my gun daily but do so concealed, although I do confess to not always using a jacket, shirt, or vest to cover it up when I stop to fill up for gas or run into the gas station for a drink.

    Before you dive into the subject of this post first let me say that I wholeheartedly support the right to open carry. It is not my desire that this would become a debate on whether open or concealed carry is better tactically because both have their strong points. I'd like to know what you say to others when you are asked this question. As I plan to carry openly more often my hope is that I can educate others around me about the importance of guns in the hands of law abiding citizens, and hope that as they see my friendly and outgoing personality, the fearful and skeptics among us will change their mind about guns and gun owners. But why do you do it?

    I look forward to our upcoming event at the I Buffet and will be there with my pistol openly displayed with plenty other friends doing the same. See you then

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Provo, Utah, USA
    Posts
    1,076

    Post imported post

    I'm glad you qualified and explained your question as this question often spurs vigorous debate.

    The cards I pass out when asked why I Open Carry state:

    1) Personal Safety - Because I take personal responsibility for my own safety and the safety of my family.

    2) Community Safety - Because I believe that my community is more secure when its citizens are prepared to defend it.

    3) Liberty - Because it is an affirmation of my Federal and State Constitutional rights, as a free, responsible, law abiding member of society.

    4) Activism - Because we must exercise our rights or we risk losing them.

    5) Community Education - Because the general public must be conditioned to accept open carry as normal, as it is my right.


    I believe that one of the biggest reasons there is such paranoia over guns is because the masses have been socially conditioned to think that only criminals or police carry guns. The most effective was to counter this conditioning is to openly show that guns are simply tools that in and of themselves have no propensity for good or evil.

    When I hear the argument that easing restrictions on firearms will turn us back into the "old west" with gunfights in the streets, I remind them that the "old west" was all in all a very polite society where rapes and muggings were rare largely because most men and many women were armed and prepared to defend themselves, their property and their loved ones.

    I also suggest that gun owners take a few minutes to read this scholarly analysis:

    http://jpfo.org/filegen-n-z/ragingag...elfdefense.htm

    A Psychiatrist explains "Raging Against Self Defense" (Why gun prohibitionists act the way they do) -- an essay by Sarah Thompson, M.D.

  3. #3
    Regular Member Rottie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Somewhere out there
    Posts
    129

    Post imported post

    Thanks for your reply and thanks for responding right on topic!There are many in the CC community who are supportive of the open carry movement but reluctant to openly carry for one reason or another.For me what to say when asked by joe public wasone of those reasons I chose to rarely carry openly. It seemed to me that simplying stating it was my "right to do so" would adequately justify me in carrying openly but would not make any friends for the OC movement. Will you be at the i buffet gathering later this month? If so can I talk you into bringing one of your cards for me to look at?

  4. #4
    State Researcher Kevin Jensen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Santaquin, Utah, USA
    Posts
    2,313

    Post imported post

    Welcome to OCDO, Rottie!

    rpyne gave me a giant stack of these cards, so if he does not make it to the dinner, I will have some as well.

    My reason for carrying openly is the way I dress. I don't like trying to hide a large handgun, and I don't like carrying a small one.




    ...OK, you got me. I just like to be the attention *****. :P (That's for you, thoughtpolice)
    "An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life." Robert A. Heinlein

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    SMITHFIELD, North Carolina, USA
    Posts
    270

    Post imported post

    A lot of people open carry because they cannot meet the requirements for concealed carry permits. For instance, if you have a DUI conviction or drug use conviction in the last 5 years it is a disqualifier in some states. Likewise, in some states a misdemeanor is a disqualifier for a CHP, but the offense is not serious enough to prevent the possession (or carrying) of a handgun.

  6. #6
    Regular Member Rottie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Somewhere out there
    Posts
    129

    Post imported post

    Thanks also for your reply. I carried openly long before carrying concealed, but at that time in my life and occupationI of course never had to explain why I was carrying a gun. Now of course I do not wear a badge and might have to help those around me understand the OC movement.

  7. #7
    Campaign Veteran
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Lobelville, Tennessee, USA
    Posts
    2,615

    Post imported post

    One thing to remember is that most of the general public is clueless as to how many people they cross paths with that are lawfully armed. That's because most carriers conceal carry (CC). Out of sight - out of mind does not help to counter the rhetoric spewed by anti-gun groups such as the Brady Campaign and VPC.

    OC does away with the out of sight - out of mind barrier. Seeing our sidearms on our hips makes the general public aware that they ARE exposed to armed citizens and that observation this non-threatening behavior will eventually cause them to conclude that the Brady Bunch has been lieing.

    The main ting about talking to others about OC (or carrying for self-defensein general) is to be polite and calm. Stick with logical explainations/facts and leave off the sarcasm. Even if the person that you are directly encountering is a closeminded anti-gunner, if there are bystanders observing the engagement, the calateral affect on them is invalueable.

  8. #8
    Regular Member Utah_Patriot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Kearns, Utah, USA
    Posts
    717

    Post imported post

    I personally see open carry as a deterrent it makes me a hard target. I openly carry because it fits my life style when I go out I wear a tee-shirt and jeans.

    When on my motorcycle it is simply easy access since it requires more steps then in a vehicle. It causes other people to be more aware of me as I ride.

    When I open carry in public I am held to a higher standard then if I conceal. My behavior is more defined when I interact with others. I am more courteous to others and willing to help when needed.

    I speak with more people and have very positive conversations about Utah law most people simply don't know it is legal or they have been told it is illegal by their CCW Instructors.

    Just a few reasons have many more


    Zach
    8014487574
    "A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity"

  9. #9
    Regular Member UtahJarhead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Ogden, UT, ,
    Posts
    313

    Post imported post

    I shouldn't be forced to carry a gun in any specific way. I should be able to carry it concealed, open, duct-taped to the side of my head if I want to.

    That being said, sometimes I feel FREE open carrying a handgun while I pick up some BBQ sauce from Smiths. Sometimes I feel 'sneaky' when I concealed carry into a place with a sign like the movie theatre and it makes me feel like I'm getting one over 'on the man'.

    I carry however I decide I want to carry that day, just like I decide which pair of shoes I want to put on.

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Payson, Utah, USA
    Posts
    1,146

    Post imported post

    I think we should ALL be FORCED to carry firearms fined 50$ for not carrying a firearm sounds like a good way for the govt. to make some money! (ofcourse a mental test should be given to the persons first)

  11. #11
    Founder's Club Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Cottonwood Heights, Utah, USA
    Posts
    545

    Post imported post

    Comfort! Nuff said.

  12. #12
    Regular Member LovesHisXD45's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    , Utah, USA
    Posts
    580

    Post imported post

    Comfort, accessibility & deterrent. That pretty much sums it up for me.

    Kevin
    If it isn't broke, then don't fix it, or you'll fix it until it's broke.

  13. #13
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Provo, , USA
    Posts
    75

    Post imported post

    LovesHisXD45 wrote:
    Comfort, accessibility & deterrent. That pretty much sums it up for me.

    Kevin
    yep thats forme as well. its hard to hide a glock 20 with 2 extra mags. I like not having anything covering it and having it right there if its needed. also the fact that people can see i have a gun so i hope the BG thinks twice.

  14. #14
    State Researcher Kevin Jensen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Santaquin, Utah, USA
    Posts
    2,313

    Post imported post

    b1ack5mith wrote:
    (ofcourse a mental test should be given to the persons first)
    :shock: ooooooohhh... Yer anti-gun!!! :P
    "An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life." Robert A. Heinlein

  15. #15
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Payson, Utah, USA
    Posts
    1,146

    Post imported post

    SGT Jensen wrote:
    b1ack5mith wrote:
    (ofcourse a mental test should be given to the persons first)
    :shock: ooooooohhh... Yer anti-gun!!! :P
    A mental test is to sort out the liberals!!! hahahaha

  16. #16
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Firestone, Colorado
    Posts
    1,189

    Post imported post

    b1ack5mith wrote:
    SGT Jensen wrote:
    b1ack5mith wrote:
    (ofcourse a mental test should be given to the persons first
    :shock: ooooooohhh... Yer anti-gun!!! :P
    A mental test is to sort out the liberals!!! hahahaha
    What about the pro-gun liberals?

  17. #17
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    ,SE Idaho, USA
    Posts
    31

    Post imported post

    b1ack5mith wrote:
    I think we should ALL be FORCED to carry firearms fined 50$ for not carrying a firearm sounds like a good way for the govt. to make some money! (ofcourse a mental test should be given to the persons first)
    A shrink can find something wrong with everyone mine thinks I'm out to commit indirect suicide! Just because I treat my body like a fun park :celebrate She could be right arthritis at 38 SUCKS!!!!

  18. #18
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Timonium, Maryland, USA
    Posts
    47

    Post imported post

    No need for mental evaluation if everyone has a gun! We are self-regulating! LOL.

  19. #19
    Campaign Veteran
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Lobelville, Tennessee, USA
    Posts
    2,615

    Post imported post

    theschultz wrote:
    No need for mental evaluation if everyone has a gun! We are self-regulating! LOL.
    I believe that was the way it was, at one time. It can be that way again.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •