• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Vallejo is Ground Zero for Gun Rights vs Gun Control

TatankaGap

imported post

Now they're pressuring Panama Red Coffee in Vallejo, my fav Brady doublespeak quote is: "We are not a party group," she said. "And we're not saying we want to do away with people's Second Amendment rights. But we are serious about stopping the tidal wave of gun violence sweeping the country, so people can live safer lives."

http://www.timesheraldonline.com/ci_14395898

Spike in Vallejo crime fires up anti-gun group
By Rachel Raskin-Zrihen
Ellen Faden displays a banner for the Solano County chapter of the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, which is tryng to gather support after the recent outbreak of gun violence in Vallejo. (Mike Jory/Times-Herald)

The head of the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence's local chapter said Friday she is stepping up efforts to build membership in the wake of a recent Vallejo crime wave.Ellen Faden of Vallejo said her group is stepping up the frequency of its meetings and working to grow membership, which now stands at about a dozen.

And members plan to accompany those of other chapters to Sacramento next week to lobby legislators on gun control issues, Faden said.

"We need to strengthen our chapter," Faden said. "This is directly related to someone walking up to an ice cream lady and shooting her in the chest. People are shot here. A psychologist was shot here a few years ago. A ninth-grade student was shot walking home.

"There are killers living among us in this town. How much more is it going to take before we do something?" she said.

Longtime Vallejo psychologist Ira Polonsky, 64, was shot and killed in his Capitol Street office building in 2005. Fifteen-year-old Emmanuel Hernandez was shot and killed near Vallejo High School early last year.

Having grown up in an "unpleasant" home situation that included firearms, Faden, a 50-something mother of two, said she was searching for ways to make a difference. When she discovered the Brady Campaign had no Solano Chapter, she decided to start one.

"I was familiar with the campaign since James Brady was shot, and I wanted to do something that was meaningful to me," she said.

Brady, White House Press Secretary under President Ronald Reagan, was shot and permanently disabled in 1981 during an assassination attempt on the president. Brady and his wife, Sarah, became ardent gun control advocates as a result.

According to its Web site, the Brady Campaign and the associated Brady Center, seek to "make it harder for convicted felons, the dangerously mentally ill, and others like them to get guns in the first place."

They work toward that end by working to get federal and state laws passed like those requiring criminal background checks on all gun sales, banning military-style assault weapons and strengthening law enforcement's efforts to stop the illegal gun market, the site notes.

Most recently, the California chapters have been engaged in a battle of wills with the owners of some coffee houses and restaurants -- most notably Starbucks -- over the group's desire that the retailers ban people coming in with firearms openly displayed, California Brady Campaign chapter services coordinator Karen Arntzen said.

"Peet's Coffee (& Tea) and California Pizza Kitchen have agreed to ban lethal weapons on their private property, but Starbucks said they'll go by state and local ordinance, and we think that's a cop out," Arntzen said. "And the manager of Panama Red coffee house in Livermore says he won't make such a policy."

Panama Red workers in the Livermore and Vallejo locations said they don't know if there's a companywide policy on the so-called Unloaded Open Carry issue. A worker at the Vallejo Panama Red said she was unfamiliar with the controversy and doesn't know if her store has a customer policy about guns.

Faden said she's met too many people who have lost loved ones to gun violence, and her group addresses the issues head on.

"We are not a party group," she said. "And we're not saying we want to do away with people's Second Amendment rights. But we are serious about stopping the tidal wave of gun violence sweeping the country, so people can live safer lives."

For information on the Brady organization, call (925) 381-7814, or visit http://health.groups.yahoo.com /group/solanocountybrady/.

Contact staff writer Rachel Raskin-Zrihen at (707) 553-6824 or rzrihen@timesheraldonline.com.

Gundude

imported post

According to its Web site, the Brady Campaign and the associated Brady Center, seek to "make it harder for convicted felons, the dangerously mentally ill, and others like them to get guns in the first place."

Others like them.....If you're like a convicted felon, are you a convicted felon. Some felons should be allowed to carry, depending on what the crime is. The best way to keep violent felons from having guns is keep them in prison.

"We are not a party group," she said. "And we're not saying we want to do away with people's Second Amendment rights.

HUH?

brad9point0

imported post

Well its a good thing that the next monthly meeting of Bay Area Open Carry will be in Vallejo :celebrate we can all bring the good will and message of self protection to the good citizens of Vallejo.

Let them all know they can take their own safety in their own hands!

chewy352

imported post

brad9point0 wrote:
Well its a good thing that the next monthly meeting of Bay Area Open Carry will be in Vallejo :celebrate we can all bring the good will and message of self protection to the good citizens of Vallejo.

Feel free to use my idea of wearing Brady Campaign shirts to your meet lol.

Last edited:

Gundude

imported post

chewy352 wrote:
brad9point0 wrote:

Feel free to use my idea of wearing Brady Campaign @#$%s to your meet lol.

I wonder where we could score some Brady Tshirts? I would wear one while OC'ing.

crash5150

imported post

I vote Vallejo for open carry meeting. I'm sure we could find brady shirts on the internet. that would be priceless.

Is it just me.. or are most Anti-Gun and Brady Campaign'ers.. are older or minority woman.

brad9point0

imported post

Maddoggie13 wrote:
I'll be there for open carrying in Vallejo if I'm free....:dude:

March 6th 2010 11AM-1PM in the City of Vallejo. Stay tuned for the location! It will be around downtown

:celebrate

crash5150

imported post

over on admiral callahan there are a lot of stores and places to eat. where the car dealerships are..

there is an applebees... could be a good location

coolusername2007

imported post

TatankaGap wrote:
Having grown up in an "unpleasant" home situation that included firearms, Faden, a 50-something mother of two, said she was searching for ways to make a difference. When she discovered the Brady Campaign had no Solano Chapter, she decided to start one.

Seems to me like Ellen has someissues she needs to work on. Not surprising, most do-gooders are trying to fix the world as they see it from their warped viewpoint.

If the Brady campaign is going to target every place we frequent and pressure them into accepting their fear-mongering rhetoric, then perhaps a counter measure is in order. Perhaps we need to create an anti-Brady pamphlet, perhaps we need to infiltrate their organization, and perhaps we need to somehow "award" those organizations who recognize and respect our Constitution and our unalienable rights.

crash5150

imported post

They get rewarded with our repeated business.. over and over again. I tell the starbucks employee's thank you everytime I go in and tell them why I'm at a starbucks instead of peets around the corner.

We could always find out when and where these chapters meet. Vallejo apparently meets at a denny's. Wouldn't it be great if the meeting started and we all opened carried during their meeting. I'm sure the dentures of all these old ladies would fall right out of their mouths.

Then again.. just discreditating them over and over and being prepared for news outlets when making those statements.