Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Harassed by a purported federal agent

Post imported post

I decided to go to the Nations gun show in Chantilly this afternoon with a friend. We were having trouble finding parking so we decided to go grab some lunch first at the nearby Chipotle. There was a man at a table near us with who I assume was his girlfriend. I could tell he was looking at me. When we got up to leave and walked by he asked if I was a LEO. I told him no. After a couple seconds of silence he asked if it was loaded. I said yeah, of course. He then tells me that I can't do that. I tell him that yes, I can. He then claims he is a federal agent and that I can't have a loaded gun in a public place. I tell him once again that I can. He then says something along the lines of "do you want to take this outside? Are we going to have a problem?". I told him no and walked away, as I knew I wasn't going to get anywhere with him. He left right after we did, and I made a note of his license plate number (VA tags) and vehicle.

In hindsight, I really wish I had pressed the issue with him. I should have one, asked for ID once he claimed he was a federal agent. Then I should have offered to call the police to straighten this out. I'm really upset with myself that I didn't. The guy was being a jerk and sounding very aggressive.

Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar

Post imported post

mpg9999 wrote:
    I decided to go to the Nations gun show in Chantilly this afternoon with a friend. We were having trouble finding parking so we decided to go grab some lunch first at the nearby Chipotle. There was a man at a table near us with who I assume was his girlfriend. I could tell he was looking at me. When we got up to leave and walked by he asked if I was a LEO. I told him no. After a couple seconds of silence he asked if it was loaded. I said yeah, of course. He then tells me that I can't do that. I tell him that yes, I can. He then claims he is a federal agent and that I can't have a loaded gun in a public place. I tell him once again that I can. He then says something along the lines of "do you want to take this outside? Are we going to have a problem?". I told him no and walked away, as I knew I wasn't going to get anywhere with him. He left right after we did, and I made a note of his license plate number (VA tags) and vehicle.

In hindsight, I really wish I had pressed the issue with him. I should have one, asked for ID once he claimed he was a federal agent. Then I should have offered to call the police to straighten this out. I'm really upset with myself that I didn't. The guy was being a jerk and sounding very aggressive.
    Did he look like a Federal Agent (shiny shoes and a spiffy haircut)

Check the tags and see who he is.

Impersonating a Federal Agent is a crime and very few Federal Agents will tell you they are Federal Agents unless it's business.

I used to run into a fellow at the Waffle House who claimed to be a DEA Agent.

Post imported post

peter nap wrote:
    mpg9999 wrote:

Did he look like a Federal Agent (shiny shoes and a spiffy haircut)

Check the tags and see who he is.

Impersonating a Federal Agent is a crime and very few Federal Agents will tell you they are Federal Agents unless it's business.

I used to run into a fellow at the Waffle House who claimed to be a DEA Agent.

He had short hair, but he also had a beard (it was somewhat trimmed). He wasn't in a suit or anything like that, just regular casual clothing.

How would one go about checking his tags?

One of the gentlemen at the VCDL table told me a story about a man who claimed to be a federal agent. Turned out he was a federal meat inspector...

Post imported post

Sounds like your basic run of the mill ****** bags.

Post imported post

mpg9999 wrote:
    peter nap wrote:
    m

He had short hair, but he also had a beard (it was somewhat trimmed).

How would one go about checking his tags?

One of the gentlemen at the VCDL table told me a story about a man who claimed to be a federal agent. Turned out he was a federal meat inspector...
    You can do it at DMV and I've never done it online, you can. There is a small fee. If you know a tame LEO, he'll usually do it as a favor.

Post imported post

Reading the DMV's website, it doesn't sound like they will release information:

http://www.dmv.state.va.us/webdoc/ci...ds/release.asp

Post imported post

You could just go to the police and report him as impersonating a police officer. The tag number coupled with your description should be sufficient. They generally don't like people posing as cops, federal or local.
    Daniel L. Hawes - 540 347 2430 - HTTP://www.VirginiaLegalDefense.com

By the way, nothing I say on this website as "user" should be taken as either advertising for attorney services or legal advice, merely personal opinion. Everyone having a question regarding the application of law to the facts of their situation should seek the advice of an attorney competent in the subject matter of the issues presented and licensed to practice in the relevant state.

Post imported post

user wrote:
    You could just go to the police and report him as impersonating a police officer. The tag number coupled with your description should be sufficient. They generally don't like people posing as cops, federal or local.
    Well, I don't know that he wasn't, nor do I know that he was. It does seem a bit suspect.

Post imported post

mpg9999 wrote:
    Reading the DMV's website, it doesn't sound like they will release information:

http://www.dmv.state.va.us/webdoc/ci...ds/release.asp
    You just have to have a valid reason. It's been a while since I did one, but there was a fom (Surprise) that asked why, a five dollar fee and the usual wait in line.

A quick google shows the usual bloodsuckers
    http://www.license-plate-search.org/...FRVc2god4n2aYg

Post imported post

mpg9999 wrote:
    user wrote:
    Well, I don't know that he wasn't, nor do I know that he was. It does seem a bit suspect.

That's why you report him. They will find out.
    While many claim to support the right to keep and bear arms, precious few support the practice.

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA

Post imported post

mpg9999 wrote:
    user wrote:
    Firstly, you did an admirable job of handling yourself well under the circumstances. I congratulate you for that.

Perhaps you're right. A request for some ID could have put his butt on ice straight up. If he refused, then pull out your cell phone and fake a call to 911 to report someone impersonating a federal agent. Now you've got his ass in a sling. But you did well.

In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

Si vis pacem, para bellum.

America First!

Post imported post

I thought this was about all the NICS being delayed

Post imported post

I just remembered something else about the incident. When I went to the bathroom I noticed he was holding his phone up. The camera on it was pointed at me. It looked like he was pretending to text while taking a picture of me.

Post imported post

mpg9999 wrote:
    I just remembered something else about the incident. When I went to the bathroom I noticed he was holding his phone up. The camera on it was pointed at me. It looked like he was pretending to text while taking a picture of me.
    you should have returned the favor (in hindsight of course)

Post imported post

SouthernBoy wrote:
    mpg9999 wrote:
    user wrote:
    Firstly, you did an admirable job of handling yourself well under the circumstances. I congratulate you for that.

Perhaps you're right. A request for some ID could have put his butt on ice straight up. If he refused, then pull out your cell phone and fake a call to 911 to report someone impersonating a federal agent. Now you've got his ass in a sling. But you did well.
    One of the first thinks I learned as amunicipal LEO is to ask for ID as well as to show ID if not in uniform. Even if the guy is a LEO, which I doubt, his behavior was unprofessional on many levels. Not producing ID is just the beginning. A LEO who perceives that the law is being broken (rightly or wrongly) does not ask you if you wantto step outside. Hegives directions anddemands compliance. Lack of compliance results in force and/or arrest. A LEO out of jurisdiction will usually not intervene, unless life and limb are at risk. Another thing that I quickly learned is that off-duty means off-duty unless a fellow officer needs help, and that the cell phone is your friend in these circumstances. If by some chance he is a LEO, his actions were probably motivated by his personal anti-gun sentiments, which, in my book, is abuse of power.

Post imported post

The fact that this "fedral agint" did not want to enforce what he thought was the law is the first clue. Sounds like you handled it well. It also sounds like an occasion to have a voice recorder handy. Other than the grocery store, I have yet to havea reason to use mine.

If it were me, I would have had to politelytell him to pound sand if he did not produce ID.

Post imported post

He could have beeb an Acorn Census taker.:what:

Post imported post

I forgot to say that I spent all afternoon at the show myself. There were plenty of VSP troopers andfeds there for both work and fun. You could have come across one with an axe to grind. I had lunch at Willard's. A number of people were open carrying.

Post imported post

mpg9999 wrote:
    He took a picture of you while you were in the bathroom? Were you, by any chance in a "state of undress" at the time? That's a crime in and of itself in Virginia.
    Daniel L. Hawes - 540 347 2430 - HTTP://www.VirginiaLegalDefense.com

By the way, nothing I say on this website as "user" should be taken as either advertising for attorney services or legal advice, merely personal opinion. Everyone having a question regarding the application of law to the facts of their situation should seek the advice of an attorney competent in the subject matter of the issues presented and licensed to practice in the relevant state.

Post imported post

user wrote:
    mpg9999 wrote:
    He took a picture of you while you were in the bathroom? Were you, by any chance in a "state of undress" at the time? That's a crime in and of itself in Virginia.
    Sorry for the ambiguity. No, he did not. It's a one person bathroom. It was when I was walking back to my table from the bathroom.

Post imported post

And I guess I'm going to head to the police station and talk to an officer, see if they can do anything.

Moderator / Administrator

Post imported post

mpg9999 wrote:
    You shold have gotten a picture of him and his girlfriend and his car too.

Post imported post

user wrote:
    +1

McX

Post imported post

no badge, no id, no real.

Post imported post

I went to the police station tonight and talked to a very helpful detective. He said it's unlikely that the guy was a federal agent. He also said impersonating an officer is only a class one misdemeanor, and they usually have to do more than just say they are an officer for a succesful conviction. He took the tag number down and went to his computer to look it up. Unfortunately I must have memorized it wrong before my friend wrote it down because the tag number belongs to a different vehicle than the one I saw. Without that info there isn't anything he can do, so I didn't file a report. I did get his card and he said that there is a year to file charges against the guy if he was indeed impersonating an officer.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast