• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Completed my CCW Class today.

Butterbone

Erlanger;Boone county side, Kentucky, USA
imported post

I finally got around to taking my CCW class today. Karen Denny in Campbell county is a great instructor. Fun class, learned alot. She's just a hoot.

Got 100% across the board and if everything goes well I should be getting my permit in however long it takes them to finish all this stuff up.

I just wanted to mention is cause we talked in the classroom part about open carrying and concealed carrying. I talked about wanting the CCW permit so that I didn't have to worry about my coat, or a long shirt, or putting my pistol in my backpack when I go fishing. But for the most part, I'll be wearing open carry style for all intents and purposes. Getting a CCW was just an insurance clause against unforseen circumstances getting me in trouble.

She's definately in the "concealed means concealed" school, but it wasn't an argument or anything. She likes CCW because it gurantees that people have at least the lowest amount of fire arms safety training in order to get the permit.
So I can understand her point about that.

Good day.

hotrod

imported post

Butterbone wrote:
I finally got around to taking my CCW class today. Karen Denny in Campbell county is a great instructor. Fun class, learned alot. She's just a hoot.

Got 100% across the board and if everything goes well I should be getting my permit in however long it takes them to finish all this stuff up.

I just wanted to mention is cause we talked in the classroom part about open carrying and concealed carrying. I talked about wanting the CCW permit so that I didn't have to worry about my coat, or a long shirt, or putting my pistol in my backpack when I go fishing. But for the most part, I'll be wearing open carry style for all intents and purposes. Getting a CCW was just an insurance clause against unforseen circumstances getting me in trouble.

She's definately in the "concealed means concealed" school, but it wasn't an argument or anything. She likes CCW because it gurantees that people have at least the lowest amount of fire arms safety training in order to get the permit.
So I can understand her point about that.

Good day.
Krazy Karen was all about CCW because she depends on the income from the class.

Statesman

imported post

Fortunately, a CCDW license (permission from a competent authority) isn't needed for a minimum standard of training. We use it as a standard since that's all that is available, and is also sanctioned by government. Private companies (or instructors) can meet that standard for people who want to meet it, as soon as we figure out what those standards should be.

I don't believe the CCDW training is all that adequate, and it isn't really a standard we should be measuring against. It's a one day, multi hour course. Really? Wow. Regardless if you agree with the business operations of Ignatius Piazza, for that, we need to look to companies like Frontsight at http://www.frontsight.com.

For more info, see my lame ranting post on having a state issued Certificate of Training. http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/view_topic.php?id=15852&forum_id=65&highlight=unlicensing

The bottom line. We need to get away from this freedom killing licensing garbage, because licensing for the most part serves no legitimate function within government. Licensing is about control, not safety. Control can be handled through the courts where due process rights are recognized.

neuroblades

imported post

Congratulations!:) We're up for our class as soon as the weather fairs up and stops snowing all the time. *LOL*

Ivan Sample

imported post

Congratulation Butterbone on going through the class. It should take about three weeks for you to get it. I went through the class here in Louisville and it took that long. Everybody gots to get paid one way or another it just how it works. Its worth every bit of the time and effort knowing that it gives you piece of mind. So no matter how you decide to carry you cover.:lol:

Unfettered Might

imported post

Statesman wrote:
I don't believe the CCDW training is all that adequate, and it isn't really a standard we should be measuring against. It's a one day, multi hour course. Really? Wow. Regardless if you agree with the business operations of Ignatius Piazza, for that, we need to look to companies like Frontsight at http://www.frontsight.com.
I went and took mine last Saturday for the same reasons as the OP, I will also continue to OC.

I agree, the range test is ridiculously easy. The fact that one can miss the target 9 times out of 20 and still pass is absurd. Um....doesn't that mean that you could potentially hit 9 innocent bystanders?

Personally I think one should have to hit the target 20 out of 20 times. I didn't even take time to aim for each shot and I hit the target 20 out of 20. I'm not special, I just train on a regular basis and that target is HUGE. I pretty much feel that if you can't hit what your aiming at, maybe you should consider some pepper spray or a taser.

Sure enough, three other students hit white paper a few times and one of them had never even fired the gun they were taking the test with before that day!!

The test is too easy......

neuroblades

imported post

Congratulations Unfettered! :) My friend & I are on the schedule to take ours as well, as soon as the instructor sets a date, the weathers been really bad here and we're in holding pattern until he calls us.

Unfettered Might

imported post

neuroblades wrote:
Congratulations Unfettered! :) My friend & I are on the schedule to take ours as well, as soon as the instructor sets a date, the weathers been really bad here and we're in holding pattern until he calls us.
Thanks.

Yeah ours tried to reschedule on us. But because of conflicting schedules for the three of us that took it together and having gone to the trouble to get a Saturday free for all of us at once, we told him it was either Saturday or no day, there are other instructors. He quickly changed his mind, lol.

Ivan Sample

imported post

Unfettered Might-

I agree with you on the part of putting eleven shots out of twenty on a big piece of paper. I personally had fifty shots at various distance and that included shooting in low light and learning the laws of carry concealed. It was mine first time ever shooting my Glock 22 and I manage to put all fifty rounds on the target. Plus we were then scored and had to me a requirement of 260 out of 300. But then in again I went through my work for my training not some carry conceal officer through the neighborhood sort of speaking. But its the responsibility of those going through those classes to train and to know the laws.:cool:

Unfettered Might

imported post

Ivan Sample wrote:
Unfettered Might-

I agree with you on the part of putting eleven shots out of twenty on a big piece of paper. I personally had fifty shots at various distance and that included shooting in low light and learning the laws of carry concealed. It was mine first time ever shooting my Glock 22 and I manage to put all fifty rounds on the target. Plus we were then scored and had to me a requirement of 260 out of 300. But then in again I went through my work for my training not some carry conceal officer through the neighborhood sort of speaking. But its the responsibility of those going through those classes to train and to know the laws.:cool:
It definitely sounds like your employer's test trumps the state test in difficulty.

Probably because of liability and insurance issues I would imagine.

Good job on passing.

Butterbone

Erlanger;Boone county side, Kentucky, USA
imported post

I think for the average person, what the state requires is just fine.

If you are applying for a job that requires you to carry a gun, then yeah maybe you do need stricter standards.

But for regular people 11/20 at 7 yards is pretty much what experts agree is the "immediate danger" practical situation that a person would end up in.
An aggressive attacker or animal getting within your personal space.

I would say most if not all of the people who frequent these forums would fall into the category of "enthusiasts" anyway.

Once you take on something as a hobby you can't look objectively at other people who only have a passing or specific interest in that topic under the same quide lines you would apply for yourself.

Or I'm crazy.

kyccdw

Fyi

For anyone that took classes from her, I was informed this past weekend by a recent applicant from one of her latest classes, that she has had her Instructor certification revoked, due to lack of providing proper training or something else. I don't know how far back that the DOCJT will go, but it is possible for some to loose their CCDW permit due to this fact. So don't be surprised to have a call or letter from Richmond.

The person that told me this approached me about taking the class I am teaching on the 30th of this month.