• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

my ccw class experience

lowlander91

imported post

well i go to GCC and needed one credit hour to be full time so i sign up for the firearms 1 class which is also a CCW qualifier. standard info most of which i knew already. Then someone asked if you can carry with out a CCW the instructor said open carry is legal and is 18 for rifle and shotgun , and 21 for handgun. i raised my hand and said it was 18 for everything since im 19 and have been open carring for a little less than a year with absolutley no LEO resitance. he says well you cant posses handguns or ammo till 21 and federal law prevents you from carrying then he says well cops dont enforce it but some prick cop can take your gun. At this point i think to myself ok he has no idea what he is talking about.i just go o ok. then i immediatly look up in the ARS booklet he gave us and noticed this jewel that states federal law allows people 18-21 to posses and own handgun and long guns. :cuss: then the next day his ex glendale cop buddy says the exact same thing.

im just mad these guys have over 50 years of experience together in law enforcement and dont know a pretty important fact.

Sonora Rebel

imported post

What Federal Law is that? 18USC? Only one I can think of. These CCW instructors often ain't all that 'n a bag o'chips.

lowlander91

imported post

ya besides the whole no open carry thing he is a pretty cool guy.came to class early and talked guns a good 20 minutes before we formaly talked guns lol.

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Took my AZ CCW permit class at Shooter's World in Phoenix when I lived out there and this was during one of the years that the legislature had "restaurant carry" (carry in places serving alcohol) shot down by the governor. The Glendale cop that taught the course could not fathom how people could possibly carry in places serving alcohol without killing each other hand over fist. Although I didn't know at the time that it was perfectly legal to carry in places serving alcohol in nearly 40 states at the time I thought "hey dude, people carry all the time in their home where they have alcohol and probably drink and people carry at private parties and you don't regularly hear of normal folk going berzerk just because they have a gun and there is alcohol nearby." The guy was a world class goof.

Sonora Rebel

imported post

jmelvin wrote:
Took my AZ CCW permit class at Shooter's World in Phoenix when I lived out there and this was during one of the years that the legislature had "restaurant carry" (carry in places serving alcohol) shot down by the governor. The Glendale cop that taught the course could not fathom how people could possibly carry in places serving alcohol without killing each other hand over fist. Although I didn't know at the time that it was perfectly legal to carry in places serving alcohol in nearly 40 states at the time I thought "hey dude, people carry all the time in their home where they have alcohol and probably drink and people carry at private parties and you don't regularly hear of normal folk going berzerk just because they have a gun and there is alcohol nearby." The guy was a world class goof.
It's a common phobia. People been 'drinkin' CC here since Cochise was a pup. CWP or not. OC too 'til some time in the 20th century... There was no 'law' against it. (Therefore... legal) The level of hysterical projection 'bout guns and booze never ceases to amaze me.

lowlander91

imported post

shooting part of class is tomorrow . i plan to open carry in circle k to get a beverage i hope a cop doesn't arrest me that would be quite an annoyance lol. funny one guys said vehicle carry should be open since Adam vs whatever other guy said holstered anywhere.

lowlander91

imported post

day 2 we were in class and asked to bring our guns unloaded as long as they are cased. he wanted to make sure no one was using granpas old breaktop revolver that has been in the barn for 48 years. didnt even look at em. the shooting part was today. lots of fun we did it at the ben avery dps range.

me812

imported post

he says well you cant posses handguns or ammo till 21 and federal law prevents you from carrying

This is absolutely not true. The Federal Youth Handgun Safety Act, which I believe he is referring to, specifies age 18. Age of 21 is only for purchases from FFLs. Federal law specifies age of 18 for private sales, possession and carrying.

I can't wait until constitutional carry is passed and people don't have to deal with these dorks anymore too get a permit. It astounds me how many of them have no idea what they're talking about.