Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: UOCer arrested in Concord

Post imported post

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=269722

Just occured, downtown.

From what I heard on the scanner, it sounds like he failed to follow the "O" part of "UOC"
    Info will be updated as it becomes available.
    Do you want to enjoy liberty in your lifetime?

Consider moving to New Hampshire as part of the Free State Project.

"Live Free or Die"

Post imported post

wewd wrote:
    http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=269722

Just occured, downtown.

From what I heard on the scanner, it sounds like he failed to follow the "O" part of "UOC"
    Info will be updated as it becomes available.
    I don't go to CalGunsmuch. They're too PC (not penal code) and afraid of ACTUALLY exercising RIGHTS lest the powers that be are offended.

That said, I followed the link to see what might be there,the expectedUOC bashing but at least a few made valid points about how did the cops know he was CC if they didn't see it therefore it's not CC.

I guess it's not in the general mindset over there that a legal UOCers might have been unlawfully arrested?

"The Second Amendment speaks nothing to an unfettered Right". (Post # 100)
    "Restrictions are not infringements. Bans are infringements.--if it reaches beyond Reasonable bans". (Post # 103)
    Beretta92FSLady
    http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...ons-Bill/page5

Disclaimer: I am not a lawyer, nothing in any of my posts should be considered legal advice. If you need legal advice, consult a reputable attorney, not an internet forum.

Post imported post

I just happened to be chatting w/ a police lieutenantthis afternoon about open carry when just as we were talking he gota call on his radio about someone "open carrying" inthe Brenden Theatre. From the infohegot and he relayed to me since we were just discussingthis isthat a black male from Richmond entered the movie theatre after paying for his ticket, he took out his loadedgunthat was tucked into his jeans and under his shirt, unloaded it right there in front of the ticket agent, then putthe pistol back under his shirt. When the police showedup,theyhad to stopthe movie, turn on the lights, and this guy claimed to be"open carrying".

Summary according to the police: This guydid NOT appear to be open carrying - just using open carry as an excuse to try and not get arrested. First of all, the gun was originally loaded and concealed when the movie attendant saw him. Next, he tookit outand unloaded it and then putit back in his pants under his shirt - so it was notcarried openly and was again concealed (but unloaded) when the police came. He got arrested for carrying a concealed weapon.

I asked this lieutenant about how the Concord PD feels about open carry and he said they respect our right to carry. He told me if I open carried that the police may inspect the gun to check if it was loaded and, if was not, I'd be on my merry way. He was a good guy and a pleasure to chat with. I plan on UOCing in Concord someday and, if I ever get checked, I hope its him and not some officer who might get overly excited.

Thought to keep in mindfor UOC'rs:Non-law abiding citizenssuch as gang-bangers and other criminal elements might start toclaim they are open carryingas an excuse when they are caught with their gun. So our image may get tarnished a bit by the criminal element. So please - know the law, respect the law, and open carry in a responsible manner.

I don't know who it was that got arrested, soI will make no assumptions about his personal criminal record or lack thereof, but he obviously didn't know the law and now does have a record.

I don't know if this would be the same person you are referring to, but my guess is that it is.

Post imported post

caskydiver wrote:

Thought to keep in mindfor UOC'rs:Non-law abiding citizenssuch as gang-bangers and other criminal elements might start toclaim they are open carryingas an excuse when they are caught with their gun. So our image may get tarnished a bit by the criminal element. So please - know the law, respect the law, and open carry in a responsible manner.
    99% of the so called gang bangers have a record, so good luck with carrying. If the LEO's see gang tats or colors they will run their ID.
    A citizen may not be required to offer a ―good and substantial reason-- why he should be permitted to exercise his rights. The right‘s existence is all the reason he needs.

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

I don't care if criminals start using OC or not. Fact remains that until or unless they give police PC they are still, in the eyes of the cop, supposed to be innocent law-abiding citizens and to be left alone.

This is obviously not a simple case of misguided police. They had an authentic call with what, for now, seems like a justified call with justified PC.

Post imported post

Oh No! A man with a gun was arrested. The mindset at CGN: another UOCer didn't listen to the "right people".

Banned

Post imported post

yelohamr wrote:
    Oh No! A man with a gun was arrested. The mindset at CGN: another UOCer didn't listen to the "right people".
    Another CCer screwing the rest of us.

Post imported post

N6ATF wrote:
    yelohamr wrote:
    he wasnt a CCer! he was a gang banger that thought hed learned about unloaded open carry!
    more of this stupid sh5t is gonna happen as the bad guys try to use the UOC laws you guys have brought to light!
    EMNofSeattle wrote: Your idea of freedom terrifies me. So you are actually right. I am perfectly happy with what you call tyranny.....

“If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.”

Stand up for your Rights,, They have no authority on their own...

All power is inherent in the people,
    it is their right and duty to be at all times ARMED!

McX

Post imported post

he committed a sin; thou shalt not brandish. then he tries the cutesy pie number of i'm oc. tsk-tsk.

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter

Post imported post

1245A Defender wrote:
    N6ATF wrote:
    yelohamr wrote:
    he wasnt a CCer! he was a gang banger that thought hed learned about unloaded open carry!
    more of this stupid sh5t is gonna happen as the bad guys try to use the UOC laws you guys have brought to light!
    I don't understand this at all. Looks like "shooting from the hip" and missing by a mile.
    First, he was carrying concealed, "cc" means concealed carry. You're trying to disown him because he was doing it wrong?
    Second, bad guys do stupid sh!t.
    Third, there are no "UOC laws".
    Fourth, "brought to light"? You mean by exercising one of the few rights which is not yet forbidden to us.
    Liberty, it's a scary thing. Some will try to use it for illegal purposes, if we throw away every right that gets abused we will soon have none.

State Researcher

Post imported post

caskydiver wrote:

I don't think the actions of others tarnishes "our image."

That's akin to saying that since 99.9% of criminals carry concealed tarnishes the image of off-duty cops and CCW (aka "gubmint permission slip") holders.

It's akin to saying that every violent crime committed with a firearm tarnishes the image of every firearm owner.

It's akin to saying that every vehicular assault tarnishes the image of every car owner...

Other than this, great post. Glad to get a little more info, and glad to hear about a good conversation with a good cop.
    Participant in the Free State Project - "Liberty in Our Lifetime" - www.freestateproject.org
    Supporter of the CalGuns Foundation - http://www.calgunsfoundation.org/
    Supporter of the Madison Society - www.madison-society.org

Don't Tread On Me.

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

caskydiver wrote:
    we were just discussingÂ*this isÂ*that a black male Â*from Richmond
    Oh no! It matters, a black man with a gun!

Post imported post

http://claycord.blogspot.com/

A 41-year-old Richmond man was arrested this afternoon after Concord Police received a call from security at Brenden Theatre, who said there was a man in the parking garage with a concealed gun.

Lt. Steve Dyer with the Concord Police says security spotted the man in his vehicle with the weapon....

The subject was seen manipulating the slide on a pistol as he was seated in a vehicle. Brendan Security watched as the subject purchased movie tickets and then entered the theater.

The subject was contacted inside one of the theaters watching a movie and found to be in possession of a holstered, unloaded semi-automatic pistol and holstered, loaded magazines concealed under his un-tucked dress shirt.

The subject claimed he was carrying the weapon pursuant to “Open Carry” and his Constitutional rights.

Based on the firearm and magazines being concealed under the subject’s un-tucked shirt, he was arrested, booked, and released on a citation for carrying a concealed weapon.

Lt. Dyer says at the time of the arrest, there were approximately 12 to 15 other movie goers inside the theater.

The arrested man was 41-year-old Richmond resident Vince Conn.

Thanks to Lt. Dyer for the information on the incident.

Post imported post

I don't think the actions of others tarnishes "our image."
    No but the Brady people will use this.

Post imported post

Theseus wrote:
    I don't care if criminals start using OC or not. Fact remains that until or unless they give police PC they are still, in the eyes of the cop, supposed to be innocent law-abiding citizens and to be left alone.

This is obviously not a simple case of misguided police. They had an authentic call with what, for now, seems like a justified call with justified PC.
    Correct! Let them call attention to themselves and they will be arrested. The more that know about OC the more that will recognize good behavior. Bad behavior by bad thugs, gang bangers will be noticed even more. Trust me they will not use this as an excuse to OC they do not want that attention.
    Live Free or Die!

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

At least you all can carry into a theater in California.

Post imported post

If he's a gangbanger, throw him back in the water. If he just "did it wrong", he should be found and educated. Either way, the arrest looks and smells bad for all of us, race or creed bedamned.
    "Most people respect the badge. Everybody... respects the gun."

Post imported post

Or maybe (JUST maybe not necessarily) the "concealed under an untucked shirt isn't excactly true.

Operating the slide of theweapon would appear to a hopolophobe to be "jacking a round into the weapon" while to a safe firearmscarrierit may have simply been a "double check" for unloaded condition. ANYONE hands me a weapon, or I pick up a weapon that I myself checkedbefore sitting it down and HABIT has me manipulating the slide toensure a safe weapon.
    Perhaps he was doing what is called the "buckeye tuck" in Ohio (where the outer garments are tucked behind the weapon and holster). This is a compliance requirement for concealed carriers when getting into their vehicle, it is also a method of reducing the visibility of your weapon without actually concealing it.
    To a min wage security guard viewing from weak side, a tucked outer garment will appear to the guard as concealed becausefrom his angle of view it is impossible to see the tuck. Perhaps the shirt became untucked when police grabbed him,

I'd like to think that no officer ever "manufacturers" an offense but we all know that that simply isn't true, there are bad apples. So perhaps the officers purposely untucked a tucked shirt.

I am NOT saying this was a bad arrest. I am NOT saying the cops manufactured anything. But it is WAY too early to know what truly happened and lacking video surveillance we may never know.

Just don't try the man in the media/this forum until the EVIDENCE is presented (which is not just a report from a blog that a police rep said something.
    "Restrictions are not infringements. Bans are infringements.--if it reaches beyond Reasonable bans". (Post # 103)
    Beretta92FSLady

Disclaimer: I am not a lawyer, nothing in any of my posts should be considered legal advice. If you need legal advice, consult a reputable attorney, not an internet forum.

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

As mentioned in the article the circumstances are less clear and could very well be someone who didn't know any better.

These circumstances are slightly different than originally told. I often racked the slide to ensure my OC weapon was unloaded, even though I "knew" it was. Better safe than sorry.

Post imported post

true..I agree. Please don't try this individual in this forum since we don't know what happened. Just wanted to relay what I was told since someone asked.

Post imported post

this guy was at least a bit of a dork!
    when i want to go somewhere,, i inspect my gun while im in the house,, before i go out!
    there is no good excuse to be fondling, handling, or racking the slide of a gun while youre out in the world unless you are going to use it!
    EMNofSeattle wrote: Your idea of freedom terrifies me. So you are actually right. I am perfectly happy with what you call tyranny.....

“If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.”

Post imported post

1245A Defender wrote:
    when i want to go somewhere,, i inspect my gun while im in the house,, before i go out!
    there is no good excuse to be fondling, handling, or racking the slide of a gun while youre out in the world unless you are going to use it!
    Being as this happened in CALIFORNIA where it's UOC and the weapon often needs to be locked in a container in the vehicle due to passing (or the possibility of passing) "free fire school zones" (alleged to be gun free zones) it pretty much has to be "fondled" and "handled" prior to exiting the vehicle or at the trunk of the vehicle.

Silly laws that legislate the necessity for unecessary handling of firearms (such as the 12031(e) check) do nothing but reduce safety. Every time a weapon is outside a holster there is more risk involved than when it remains in the holster. Considering some of the videos I've seen of officers yanking and jerking on weapons in retention holsters, the "E check" is certainly one of those as is causing the weapon to repeatedlyhandled by a law abiding citizen exercising his lawful ability to UOC.
    Beretta92FSLady

Post imported post

I KNOW IT WAS IN CALIFORNIA!!!! ive been reading and studying the law they have to deal with for 9 months.
    i very well might know as much or more about...12025, 12026,1, 12026,2, 12031(e), 626, and 626.9 than many UOCers in that state and participate on thier forum regularly.

now it seems to me, this guy (dork) was not a legaly armed citizen... if he was a CCer with a permit, then there would be no reason to be racking his gun!

if he was in fact an UOCer the only thing he might need to do would be to take it out of his lock box and put it in his holster! assuming he had a lock box, and needed to drive thru a GFSZ.

there is no knowing if it had been loaded pryer to "racking the slide" but i would guess that it was illegally loaded, and he wanted to make it legal for UOC when he got out in public!

im not a californian! i am an american, and their 2A rights are my 2A rights.
    i want all americans to enjoy the constutional rights that belong to us all,

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

1245A Defender wrote:
    Fondling of course is not necessary but I always checked my weapon any time I:

• was about to leave the house OC
    • Moved it from the holster to a locked container
    • Moved it from a locked container to a holster
    • Before I exited the vehicle at a new destination
    • Any time the pistol left my physical sight
    When carrying I even sometimes stroked the slide to feel the chamber load indicator to make sure it was clear. Why?

Because I became so comfortable with open carrying that I would often forget I even had it, but when I would remember I always wanted to check to make sure I hadn't forgotten that.

I normally did it on the down low because open carry is scary enough to the sheep, but to see a man racking the slide is more scary to the sheep even though they don't know I am doing to "ensure their safety".

Post imported post

My extensive training in the worlds biggest gun club (USMC) and the training I gave while in that club, ALWAYS included that EVERY weapon is loaded and you ALWAYS check that it is cleared when handling it.

Now, if you put it in your holster after checking it is cleared there is no need to continue to recheck. However, if placed into a safe, lockbox, trunk, etc. it WILL BE checked when again handled. When I take an cleared weapon to the safe, even if I JUST checked it in the living room, it get's another check before being placed in the safe.

I watch you clear a weapon and you hand it to me, IT GETS CHECKED BY ME. There have been a few times that that has offended the person handing it to me and a comment was made such as "what, you don't trust me" and I quite simply answer "I don't trust anyone when it comes to a cleared weapon".

Racking the slide before getting out of the vehicle is NOT "playing" with a weapon, it is called double (or triple or quadruple) checking and is a very desireable attitude to take when dealing with supposedly unloaded weapons.

Remember, a lot of people have been shot with "unloaded" guns.

Am I anal about clearing weapons? You bet cha.

Back to the direct subject of the thread..... until all the information is known, there is no way to know what happened. Just like in New Mexico, the suspect may end up being fully cleared. And then again, when the facts are heard, he could be a banger going to the big house. Or he could fall anywhere in between.

Theorizing, postulating, filling in the blanks, etc. have no place here when we are talking about someone who may very well be a fully law abiding citizen who got screwed over or the aforementioned banger.
    Beretta92FSLady

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast