• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

UOCer arrested in Concord

We-the-People

imported post

wewd wrote:
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=269722

Just occured, downtown.

From what I heard on the scanner, it sounds like he failed to follow the "O" part of "UOC"

Info will be updated as it becomes available.

I don't go to CalGunsmuch. They're too PC (not penal code) and afraid of ACTUALLY exercising RIGHTS lest the powers that be are offended.

That said, I followed the link to see what might be there,the expectedUOC bashing but at least a few made valid points about how did the cops know he was CC if they didn't see it therefore it's not CC.

I guess it's not in the general mindset over there that a legal UOCers might have been unlawfully arrested?

caskydiver

imported post

I just happened to be chatting w/ a police lieutenantthis afternoon about open carry when just as we were talking he gota call on his radio about someone "open carrying" inthe Brenden Theatre. From the infohegot and he relayed to me since we were just discussingthis isthat a black male from Richmond entered the movie theatre after paying for his ticket, he took out his loadedgunthat was tucked into his jeans and under his shirt, unloaded it right there in front of the ticket agent, then putthe pistol back under his shirt. When the police showedup,theyhad to stopthe movie, turn on the lights, and this guy claimed to be"open carrying".

Summary according to the police: This guydid NOT appear to be open carrying - just using open carry as an excuse to try and not get arrested. First of all, the gun was originally loaded and concealed when the movie attendant saw him. Next, he tookit outand unloaded it and then putit back in his pants under his shirt - so it was notcarried openly and was again concealed (but unloaded) when the police came. He got arrested for carrying a concealed weapon.

I asked this lieutenant about how the Concord PD feels about open carry and he said they respect our right to carry. He told me if I open carried that the police may inspect the gun to check if it was loaded and, if was not, I'd be on my merry way. He was a good guy and a pleasure to chat with. I plan on UOCing in Concord someday and, if I ever get checked, I hope its him and not some officer who might get overly excited.

Thought to keep in mindfor UOC'rs:Non-law abiding citizenssuch as gang-bangers and other criminal elements might start toclaim they are open carryingas an excuse when they are caught with their gun. So our image may get tarnished a bit by the criminal element. So please - know the law, respect the law, and open carry in a responsible manner.

I don't know who it was that got arrested, soI will make no assumptions about his personal criminal record or lack thereof, but he obviously didn't know the law and now does have a record.

I don't know if this would be the same person you are referring to, but my guess is that it is.

Gundude

imported post

caskydiver wrote:
Thought to keep in mindfor UOC'rs:Non-law abiding citizenssuch as gang-bangers and other criminal elements might start toclaim they are open carryingas an excuse when they are caught with their gun. So our image may get tarnished a bit by the criminal element. So please - know the law, respect the law, and open carry in a responsible manner.
99% of the so called gang bangers have a record, so good luck with carrying. If the LEO's see gang tats or colors they will run their ID.

Theseus

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I don't care if criminals start using OC or not. Fact remains that until or unless they give police PC they are still, in the eyes of the cop, supposed to be innocent law-abiding citizens and to be left alone.

This is obviously not a simple case of misguided police. They had an authentic call with what, for now, seems like a justified call with justified PC.

1245A Defender

imported post

N6ATF wrote:
yelohamr wrote:
Oh No! A man with a gun was arrested. The mindset at CGN: another UOCer didn't listen to the "right people".
Another CCer screwing the rest of us.
he wasnt a CCer! he was a gang banger that thought hed learned about unloaded open carry!
more of this stupid sh5t is gonna happen as the bad guys try to use the UOC laws you guys have brought to light!

M

McX

imported post

he committed a sin; thou shalt not brandish. then he tries the cutesy pie number of i'm oc. tsk-tsk.

flintlock tom

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

1245A Defender wrote:
N6ATF wrote:
yelohamr wrote:
Oh No! A man with a gun was arrested. The mindset at CGN: another UOCer didn't listen to the "right people".
Another CCer screwing the rest of us.
he wasnt a CCer! he was a gang banger that thought hed learned about unloaded open carry!
more of this stupid sh5t is gonna happen as the bad guys try to use the UOC laws you guys have brought to light!
I don't understand this at all. Looks like "shooting from the hip" and missing by a mile.
First, he was carrying concealed, "cc" means concealed carry. You're trying to disown him because he was doing it wrong?
Second, bad guys do stupid sh!t.
Third, there are no "UOC laws".
Fourth, "brought to light"? You mean by exercising one of the few rights which is not yet forbidden to us.
Liberty, it's a scary thing. Some will try to use it for illegal purposes, if we throw away every right that gets abused we will soon have none.

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

caskydiver wrote:

I don't think the actions of others tarnishes "our image."

That's akin to saying that since 99.9% of criminals carry concealed tarnishes the image of off-duty cops and CCW (aka "gubmint permission slip") holders.

It's akin to saying that every violent crime committed with a firearm tarnishes the image of every firearm owner.

It's akin to saying that every vehicular assault tarnishes the image of every car owner...

Other than this, great post. Glad to get a little more info, and glad to hear about a good conversation with a good cop.

SpringerXDacp

imported post

http://claycord.blogspot.com/

A 41-year-old Richmond man was arrested this afternoon after Concord Police received a call from security at Brenden Theatre, who said there was a man in the parking garage with a concealed gun.

Lt. Steve Dyer with the Concord Police says security spotted the man in his vehicle with the weapon....

The subject was seen manipulating the slide on a pistol as he was seated in a vehicle. Brendan Security watched as the subject purchased movie tickets and then entered the theater.

The subject was contacted inside one of the theaters watching a movie and found to be in possession of a holstered, unloaded semi-automatic pistol and holstered, loaded magazines concealed under his un-tucked dress shirt.

The subject claimed he was carrying the weapon pursuant to “Open Carry” and his Constitutional rights.

Based on the firearm and magazines being concealed under the subject’s un-tucked shirt, he was arrested, booked, and released on a citation for carrying a concealed weapon.

Lt. Dyer says at the time of the arrest, there were approximately 12 to 15 other movie goers inside the theater.

The arrested man was 41-year-old Richmond resident Vince Conn.

Thanks to Lt. Dyer for the information on the incident.

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Theseus wrote:
I don't care if criminals start using OC or not. Fact remains that until or unless they give police PC they are still, in the eyes of the cop, supposed to be innocent law-abiding citizens and to be left alone.

This is obviously not a simple case of misguided police. They had an authentic call with what, for now, seems like a justified call with justified PC.
Correct! Let them call attention to themselves and they will be arrested. The more that know about OC the more that will recognize good behavior. Bad behavior by bad thugs, gang bangers will be noticed even more. Trust me they will not use this as an excuse to OC they do not want that attention.

OPS MARINE

imported post

If he's a gangbanger, throw him back in the water. If he just "did it wrong", he should be found and educated. Either way, the arrest looks and smells bad for all of us, race or creed bedamned.

We-the-People

imported post

Or maybe (JUST maybe not necessarily) the "concealed under an untucked shirt isn't excactly true.

Operating the slide of theweapon would appear to a hopolophobe to be "jacking a round into the weapon" while to a safe firearmscarrierit may have simply been a "double check" for unloaded condition. ANYONE hands me a weapon, or I pick up a weapon that I myself checkedbefore sitting it down and HABIT has me manipulating the slide toensure a safe weapon.
Perhaps he was doing what is called the "buckeye tuck" in Ohio (where the outer garments are tucked behind the weapon and holster). This is a compliance requirement for concealed carriers when getting into their vehicle, it is also a method of reducing the visibility of your weapon without actually concealing it.
To a min wage security guard viewing from weak side, a tucked outer garment will appear to the guard as concealed becausefrom his angle of view it is impossible to see the tuck. Perhaps the shirt became untucked when police grabbed him,

I'd like to think that no officer ever "manufacturers" an offense but we all know that that simply isn't true, there are bad apples. So perhaps the officers purposely untucked a tucked shirt.

I am NOT saying this was a bad arrest. I am NOT saying the cops manufactured anything. But it is WAY too early to know what truly happened and lacking video surveillance we may never know.

Just don't try the man in the media/this forum until the EVIDENCE is presented (which is not just a report from a blog that a police rep said something.

Theseus

Founder's Club Member
imported post

As mentioned in the article the circumstances are less clear and could very well be someone who didn't know any better.

These circumstances are slightly different than originally told. I often racked the slide to ensure my OC weapon was unloaded, even though I "knew" it was. Better safe than sorry.

caskydiver

imported post

true..I agree. Please don't try this individual in this forum since we don't know what happened. Just wanted to relay what I was told since someone asked.