Thread: Starbucks Corp. apologizes for Casper, WY store manager's mistake in asking open carrier to leave

Moderator / Administrator

Post imported post

Post imported post

I'm glad that issue was resolved, the only place i have ever been asked to leave was Fast Lane in Shoshoni. A manager came up to me and asked me If I were a cop once I said no she asked me to leave because they didn't allow people to carry firearms into the store. I told her I would leave and no longer do any business with them, and that I would spread the word.
    I noticed the other day they finally put a sign up saying no firearms allowed. I wonder if the owner knows about that because the same guy owns the gas station across the street as well (country corner) and they don't seem to care either way.

Post imported post

Starbucks took a chance and drew their "line in the sand". They took the correct stance and I hope it pays off handsomely. My hat's off to them.

McX

Post imported post

are we talking free coffee to open carriers here, or just an i'm sorry?

Post imported post

Great news.

Post imported post

Majorpain762 wrote:
    I'm glad that issue was resolved, the only place i have ever been asked to leave was Fast Lane in Shoshoni. A manager came up to me and asked me If I were a cop once I said no she asked me to leave because they didn't allow people to carry firearms into the store. I told her I would leave and no longer do any business with them, and that I would spread the word.
    I noticed the other day they finally put a sign up saying no firearms allowed. I wonder if the owner knows about that because the same guy owns the gas station across the street as well (country corner) and they don't seem to care either way.
    I was also asked to leave the Fast Lane in Shoshoni. I basically had the identical conversation with some gal. I have carried open in that very Fast Lane for 30 years with never a problem until that gal took over. They put that sign up about a week after I said something and that was nearly two years ago. I haven't been back since.

I know the store across the street is owned by the same guy as well, so it sounds like time to send him a letter or two.

Post imported post

Fast Lane Inc 110 W 2
    Shoshoni, WY 82649
    307-876-2221

Post imported post

I want to thank you guys for your great work and support for our rights.

I can tell you this, if there was a legally armed citizen in that coffee shop where those four officers were killed earlier this year in Seattle, they still might be alive today.

I have forwarded this comment on to Starbucks along with my support.

Banned

Post imported post

If you appreciate Starbucks not prohibiting self-defense and have a Facebook account, might I suggest you become a fan of theirs and maybe post a comment? http://www.facebook.com/Starbucks

Not that they need it...
    Starbucks: 5,824,545 fans
    Massacres, Coffee & Tea: 35,925 fans

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

Go Starbucks and go OC Community!

Post imported post

Thank you N6ATF. I Will most certainly do that.

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

I would also like to add that the news folk gave a pretty positive (or at least not aggressive or negative) look at the story.

Will definitely friend Starbucks.

Post imported post

Pace wrote:
    Fast Lane Inc 110 W 2
    Shoshoni, WY 82649
    307-876-2221
    Be sure to add them as a Foe of the Second Admendment to the Friend or Foe map at- http://friendorfoe.us/Default.aspx

President/ Founding Member
    Louisiana Open Carry Awareness League
    www.laopencarry.org

Post imported post

Ill be writing them a letter. Also I put them up on the Friend or foe list. Thanks

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

Became a fan on Facebook (I patronize Starbucks anyway) and gave them thanks for their steadfast position.

Post imported post

I was fundamentally against Starbucks because of what I "thought" they stood for, as I was used to the tree huggers and hippes that patronized them at and around my college campus. Now it seems I might have to buy some hot chocolate as I hate coffee, it didn't taste that good the one time I did have it but with a little second amendment to go along with it, well it just might make it better. I'm also glad to see starbucks apologizing for their employee.

As for the mention of the four cops in the coffee shop, that is truly sad and regrettable nobody was able to react in time.

Winston Salem, North Carolina, United States

Post imported post

boredstudent wrote:
    I was fundamentally against Starbucks because of what I "thought" they stood for, as I was used to the tree huggers and hippes that patronized them at and around my college campus. Now it seems I might have to buy some hot chocolate as I hate coffee, it didn't taste that good the one time I did have it but with a little second amendment to go along with it, well it just might make it better. I'm also glad to see starbucks apologizing for their employee.

As for the mention of the four cops in the coffee shop, that is truly sad and regrettable nobody was able to react in time.
    It was a sad day in the Puget Sound area; especially after the cop killing on Halloween. All in all we had 8 LEOs shot with 6 of them dying within a 6 week period. They say bad things come in threes. This has made me a believer. 3 shootings, 6 dead LEOs

My heart weeps.
    "All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke

"I like people who stand on the Constitution... unless they're using it to wipe their feet." - Jon E Hutcherson

Post imported post

Bookman wrote:
    It was a sad day in the Puget Sound area; especially after the cop killing on Halloween. All in all we had 8 LEOs shot with 6 of them dying within a 6 week period. They say bad things come in threes. This has made me a believer. 3 shootings, 6 dead LEOs

My heart weeps.
    Creepy with the 3 thing! I live around Toledo, Oh. I was about to mention Keith Dressel was the last LEO in the area to have been killed. To which point when I found out in 3 days it will be 3 years ago. (http://www.odmp.org/officer/18718-detective-keith-dressel) and then i forgot what the rest of my response was going to be

edit:
    I work at a gas station if anyone comes in open carrying, especially third shift, I make it a point to comment. Kinda scary, I knew more about the one cops gun than he did (SIG P226), During the middle of the day there was a guy OC and at a glance it looked like a phone since he was on other side of counter but as he turned away there was no mistaking it. Mentioned it to one of the "management" more as "wow can't believe people people use their rights". He flipped out and said I should have called the cops. Now he knows open carry IS LEGAL spending 30min looking it up on Google through his phone...Also he thought we had one of the no guns signs on the door (almost as if all businesses must have to have them kinda deal). He ended up stealing more money from the company that the guy who came in with a gun.

But I know who supports guns, and was pleasantly surprised by some I talk to. As per insurance issues I would believe is why employees can't have firearms on company property or knives over 3in, or bomb making materials (yeah that put something to that effect). No mention of general public.

Post imported post

boredstudent wrote:
    The only thing I ever had against Starbucks was the overpricing of what is, in essence, just flavored water. Mind you I do love coffee!
    But, like several here, on learning of their stand against the Brady bunch, I sent them an message of support. As you said, a little 2A makes their coffee that much betta!
    Quote Originally Posted by NavyLT View Post
    Him: "I carry my gun concealed"
    Me: "You're not very good at it"
    Him: "What do you mean?"
    Me: "I know you have a gun"
    End of conversation.

Post imported post

It also makes their coffee shop my new coffee shop. I go out of my way to stop in and pick up a refill. It's $1.25 at the college shop (to refill my big insulated cup with plain coffee) and only $1.75 at Starbucks (plain refill). Not sure what other local prices are but I can OC at Starbucks and the college prohibits (unlawfully here in Oregon) my carry.

I make a point of telling the barista's that they're getting my business BECAUSE of their firearms friendly policy from corporate.

I sent a message to their corporate customer service as well thanking them for respecting my right to self defense.

GO STARBUCKS.
    "The Second Amendment speaks nothing to an unfettered Right". (Post # 100)
    "Restrictions are not infringements. Bans are infringements.--if it reaches beyond Reasonable bans". (Post # 103)
    Beretta92FSLady
    http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...ons-Bill/page5

Disclaimer: I am not a lawyer, nothing in any of my posts should be considered legal advice. If you need legal advice, consult a reputable attorney, not an internet forum.

Post imported post

I just became a fan of Starbucks on Facebook with this message:

I'm not a coffee drinker (it's like profanity: most effictive when you save it until you really need it), but I'm a big fan of Starbucks for agreeing that legal gun carriers should be treated just like any other customer.

Go Starbucks!

Post imported post

join the Facbook group for Starbucks and comment in this BRADY CAMPAIGN discussion...

show Starbucks support! They are getting hammered by the bradybunch...

http://www.facebook.com/topic.php?to...056#post100261

Post imported post

Well it looks like another brady bunch drive by at that forum. Opened it up, got a few supporters, and then not more than an occasional peep among the din of supporters of the Starbucks policy.

Starbucks 3

Brady bunch 0
    "The Second Amendment speaks nothing to an unfettered Right". (Post # 100)
    "Restrictions are not infringements. Bans are infringements.--if it reaches beyond Reasonable bans". (Post # 103)
    Beretta92FSLady
    http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...ons-Bill/page5

Disclaimer: I am not a lawyer, nothing in any of my posts should be considered legal advice. If you need legal advice, consult a reputable attorney, not an internet forum.

Post imported post

A response from Starbucks. I dropped them a note thanking them.

Hello,

Thanks for contacting Starbucks Coffee Company.
    We recognize that there is significant and genuine passion surrounding the issue of open carry weapons laws. Advocacy groups from both sides of this issue have chosen to use Starbucks as a way to draw attention to their positions.

While we deeply respect the views of all our customers, Starbucks long-standing approach to this issue remains unchanged. We comply with local laws and statutes in all the communities we serve. In this case, 43 of the 50 U.S. states have open carry weapon laws. Where these laws don't exist, we comply with laws that prohibit the open carrying of weapons. The political, policy and legal debates around these issues belong in the legislatures and courts, not in our stores.

At the same time, we have a security protocol for any threatening situation that might occur in our stores.Partners are trained to call law enforcement as situations arise.We will continuously review our procedures to ensure the highest safety guidelines are in place and we will continue to work closely with law enforcement.

We have examined this issue through the lens of partner (employee) and customer safety. Were we to adopt a policy different from local laws allowing open carry, we would be forced to require our partners to ask law abiding customers to leave our stores, putting our partners in an unfair and potentially unsafe position.

As the public debate continues, we are asking all interested parties to refrain from putting Starbucks or our partners into the middle of this divisive issue. As a company, we are extremely sensitive to the issue of gun violence in our society. Our Starbucks family knows all too well the dangers that exist when guns are used irresponsibly and illegally. Without minimizing this unfortunate reality, we believe that supporting local laws is the right way for us to ensure a safe environment for both partners and customers.

We appreciate you taking the time to share your perspective.

Warm Regards,

Alyssa R.
    Customer Relations
    Starbucks Coffee Company

Post imported post

I also put a nice little response on the facebook thread.
    http://www.facebook.com/topic.php?to...056#post103739