• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Starbucks Corp. apologizes for Casper, WY store manager's mistake in asking open carrier to leave

KBCraig

imported post

I just became a fan of Starbucks on Facebook with this message:

I'm not a coffee drinker (it's like profanity: most effictive when you save it until you really need it), but I'm a big fan of Starbucks for agreeing that legal gun carriers should be treated just like any other customer.

Go Starbucks!

We-the-People

imported post

Well it looks like another brady bunch drive by at that forum. Opened it up, got a few supporters, and then not more than an occasional peep among the din of supporters of the Starbucks policy.

Starbucks 3

Brady bunch 0

Lawmaker

imported post

A response from Starbucks. I dropped them a note thanking them.

Hello,

Thanks for contacting Starbucks Coffee Company.
We recognize that there is significant and genuine passion surrounding the issue of open carry weapons laws. Advocacy groups from both sides of this issue have chosen to use Starbucks as a way to draw attention to their positions.

While we deeply respect the views of all our customers, Starbucks long-standing approach to this issue remains unchanged. We comply with local laws and statutes in all the communities we serve. In this case, 43 of the 50 U.S. states have open carry weapon laws. Where these laws don't exist, we comply with laws that prohibit the open carrying of weapons. The political, policy and legal debates around these issues belong in the legislatures and courts, not in our stores.

At the same time, we have a security protocol for any threatening situation that might occur in our stores.Partners are trained to call law enforcement as situations arise.We will continuously review our procedures to ensure the highest safety guidelines are in place and we will continue to work closely with law enforcement.

We have examined this issue through the lens of partner (employee) and customer safety. Were we to adopt a policy different from local laws allowing open carry, we would be forced to require our partners to ask law abiding customers to leave our stores, putting our partners in an unfair and potentially unsafe position.

As the public debate continues, we are asking all interested parties to refrain from putting Starbucks or our partners into the middle of this divisive issue. As a company, we are extremely sensitive to the issue of gun violence in our society. Our Starbucks family knows all too well the dangers that exist when guns are used irresponsibly and illegally. Without minimizing this unfortunate reality, we believe that supporting local laws is the right way for us to ensure a safe environment for both partners and customers.

We appreciate you taking the time to share your perspective.

Warm Regards,

Alyssa R.
Customer Relations
Starbucks Coffee Company