• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Flint City Police Encounter

kyleplusitunes

imported post

So, I was at my friend's tattoo shop listening to music with the guys, open carrying as always, when a city cop doing his rounds walked in.

He had plenty of information for me (lol) about open carry in Flint.

He told me he had no problem with my carrying my pistol in my friends tattoo shop, since he is pro open carry (i laughed at this) However, if I carry in the Torch, Loft or 501 he will take me to jail.

He continued to inform me about how Flint has local ordinances against gun's in certain areas. (lol)

He also told me he could technically take me to jail if he wanted, for brandishing, and also he could have my CPL revoked because he could write my county gun board a letter that I was not acting responsibly with my CPL.

Can any of our higher up members contact the city of Flint, or me and maybe educate them on the laws? I am so new I don't really know how to go about it.

If I left any details out of this post, please let me know, I will answer them to the best of my ability. Frankly, I am afraid to deal with Flint city police personally as I have seen first hand the amount of corruption rampant in the department.

Advise?

Michigander

imported post

PLEASE tell me you have a recording of this.

If not, PLEASE tell me you know the cops name.

A complaint will need to be handed in, if not mailed with a signature service.

It will be easy to do. Should take about an hour. But the cops name is extremely important. If you don't have it, the date and time, as well as a good description of the officer will be important.

Also, if no recording, before it slips your memory, you need to immediately write out as close as possible exactly what he said.

But hopefully this was recorded. :uhoh:

M

McX

imported post

you ever notice how the worst poop always begins with: i have no problem with it but..................

kyleplusitunes

imported post

I didn't record it as it was a casual conversation. He is pretty good in general to the guys at the tattoo shop. I could probably find out his name, however, if I make a formal complaint I am sure he'd remember the encounter.

I just want to get the information out to the PD, and if it happens again I will record it for sure.

Can I make complaints for casual conversations?

He was texting on his cell phone and messing around with us like he was off duty basically.

Michigander

imported post

A general information packet could be sent in, with a letter explaining concerns which came from an obviously ill informed or lying officer.

Wouldn't have to involve names, and it would probably solve the problem.

Although, I must say, this is the first I've ever heard of any even slight form of trouble from Flint cops. After all the activity around Flint, it would seem they must be fairly well aware of OCing regs. This is surprising.

kyleplusitunes

imported post

well, I know that, the whole time he was talking to me it was in his smug law enforcement "I'll do whatever I want and worry about it later" kind of demeanor.

I've talked to state troopers from all around the area, while OCing even, and they are pretty well versed in it, and support what I do for the most part, but these city cops...

kyleplusitunes

imported post

Michigander wrote:
A general information packet could be sent in, with a letter explaining concerns which came from an obviously ill informed or lying officer.

Wouldn't have to involve names, and it would probably solve the problem.

Although, I must say, this is the first I've ever heard of any even slight form of trouble from Flint cops. After all the activity around Flint, it would seem they must be fairly well aware of OCing regs. This is surprising.

Flint township cops are aware, however, City of Flint cops still seem to not have a clue.

WARCHILD

imported post

Flint cops know! He was just yanking your chain to see what kind of reaction he could get and if you KNEW what you could legally do. I would let this one go, but if you should meet this same officer again and he repeats his mistake; Ask him on the spot for his name, badge no., and supervisors contact info. Then file a formal complaint. Once a complaint is on file, it starts a paper trail if harassment should follow.
JMO

SpringerXDacp

imported post

kyleplusitunes wrote:
I didn't record it as it was a casual conversation. He is pretty good in general to the guys at the tattoo shop. I could probably find out his name, however, if I make a formal complaint I am sure he'd remember the encounter.

I just want to get the information out to the PD, and if it happens again I will record it for sure.

Can I make complaints for casual conversations?

He was texting on his cell phone and messing around with us like he was off duty basically.
LOL Is he white, about 6'-1" and 200 lbs with dark hair?

SpringerXDacp

imported post

kyleplusitunes wrote:
he was white, with blonde hair, maybe 190.

Not the one who usually patrols the bars, I had never seen this guy before.
At first I thought you were talking about Kirk. I get my hair cut at the shop in the Atwood Building and never any issues...well, that I know of anyway.

T Vance

imported post

City police seem to be the worst when dealing with OCers.

Some LEO will state things, like what he stated to you "you can't do that, you're brandishing, I'll take you to jail, etc", and use it as a scare tactic to get you to stop OCing.

Yes, they can arrest you for whatever they want to, but they can also get sued for an illegal arrest as long as the evidence is there.

lapeer20m

imported post

i don't just carry my recorder, i let it record everything while i am out and about. it's digital, so erasing things is easy. I use a pair of rechargeable AAA batteries, and they last prob 50-100 hours of recording. IT is too difficult to try and turn on your recorder just when you think you need it. Either you may forget, or with a leo interaction it may be unwise to reach into your pocket. I made a "mag pouch" to hold my voice recorder on my belt next to my gun.

just my .02

as much as i try, i don't have my recorder with me 100% of the time. On the few occasions i forget to grab it, i usually use my phone as a recorder if i'm going to be out of the car. Most phones have this option.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

Sounds like some open crriers need to visit Flint City council meeting and ask for some police retraining - a letter to the police chief first is appropriate though as a matter of courtesy.

mikestilly

imported post

lapeer20m wrote:
i don't just carry my recorder, i let it record everything while i am out and about.  it's digital, so erasing things is easy.  I use a pair of rechargeable AAA batteries, and they last prob 50-100 hours of recording.  IT is too difficult to try and turn on your recorder just when you think you need it.  Either you may forget, or with a leo interaction it may be unwise to reach into your pocket.  I made a "mag pouch" to hold my voice recorder on my belt next to my gun. 

just my .02

as much as i try, i don't have my recorder with me 100% of the time.  On the few occasions i forget to grab it, i usually use my phone as a recorder if i'm going to be out of the car.  Most phones have this option.   

Most of the recorders have voice activated recording. That's what I set mine to. It avoids recording lots of walking and white noise. Either way works as long as you have it recording when you need it :) To be honest video helps more. Most of the evidence you need to defend yourself come from video not audio. That's why I bought myself a miniature DVR which is small enough to clip on your shirt. The video is very clear for $15 .. Ebay

The simple charge which seems to be leveled at OC'ers is failure to disclose. The only way to prove you're 100% open carrying is to video yourself. If I was falsely charged in that manner as the officer was charging me I would pull off the video camera and point it at my rig to prove I wasnt concealing. This is where an audio recording wouldnt do much good. I simply felt it was dumb not to spend a $15 extra for the extra defense. Now hopefully I never have to use this stuff as evidence. So far I've never had an encounter but just like carrying a firearm I'm being proactive about it.