• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Lookin to get my CPL soon

Taurus850CIA

imported post

David in MI wrote:
My wife just took the class at Advanced Ranges in Burton. I put together a group of 12 people so we got a bit of a discount from their normal rates and paid $100/person (BTW, I think they offer discounts starting at groups of five). Their normal rate for the course and range time is $150 butthat also includes four hours of range time in addition to the time you will spend on the range during the course. This range time may be used before or after the actual class. I took my class from someone who I will not name and paid $110. There were tremendous differences in both the classroom portion and the range time for both.

I sat through a portion of my wife's class and found the material covered to be much more thorough. Additionally, the instructor is LE/military with a lot of real-world experience. Comparing the range times and instruction for the two courses isa joke. In my class I had only to put 30 rounds onto an 8 1/2" x 11" piece of paper. The instructor for my wife's class taught them the basics of proper stance, point shooting and a few different tactical movements. My time with gun-in-hand was about 2 minutes. My wife spent nearly 4 hours in the range at least half of which was shooting. If I knew about the additional range time and quality of instruction I would have paid the extra $40 and taken my CPL course from them as well.
I thought the law required a minimum of three hours range time for the CPL course.

David in MI

imported post

Taurus850CIA wrote:
David in MI wrote:
My wife just took the class at Advanced Ranges in Burton. I put together a group of 12 people so we got a bit of a discount from their normal rates and paid $100/person (BTW, I think they offer discounts starting at groups of five). Their normal rate for the course and range time is $150 butthat also includes four hours of range time in addition to the time you will spend on the range during the course. This range time may be used before or after the actual class. I took my class from someone who I will not name and paid $110. There were tremendous differences in both the classroom portion and the range time for both.

I sat through a portion of my wife's class and found the material covered to be much more thorough. Additionally, the instructor is LE/military with a lot of real-world experience. Comparing the range times and instruction for the two courses isa joke. In my class I had only to put 30 rounds onto an 8 1/2" x 11" piece of paper. The instructor for my wife's class taught them the basics of proper stance, point shooting and a few different tactical movements. My time with gun-in-hand was about 2 minutes. My wife spent nearly 4 hours in the range at least half of which was shooting. If I knew about the additional range time and quality of instruction I would have paid the extra $40 and taken my CPL course from them as well.
I thought the law required a minimum of three hours range time for the CPL course.
I believe you are correct.

SpringerXDacp

imported post

28.425l

[align=left](7) The educational requirements under section 5b(7)(c) for an applicant who is applying for a renewal of a license under this act are waived except that the applicant shall certify that he or she has completed at least 3 hours’ review of the training described under section 5b(7)(c) and has had at least 1 hour of firing range time in the 6 months immediately preceding the subsequent application.[/align]
[align=left]ETA: 28.425b(7)(c)[/align]
(c) The applicant has knowledge and has had training in the safe use and handling of a pistol by the successful completion of a pistol safety training course or class that meets the requirements of section 5j, and that is available to the general public and presented by a law enforcement agency, junior or community college, college, or public or private institution or organization or firearms training school.

David in MI

imported post

SpringerXDacp wrote:
28.425l

[align=left](7) The educational requirements under section 5b(7)(c) for an applicant who is applying for a renewal of a license under this act are waived except that the applicant shall certify that he or she has completed at least 3 hours’ review of the training described under section 5b(7)(c) and has had at least 1 hour of firing range time in the 6 months immediately preceding the subsequent application.[/align]
Springer-you're quoting the portion that pertains to the renewal of a license, not the initial application. What's the requirement for a new applicant? I'm thinking it's 3 hours.

SpringerXDacp

imported post

David in MI wrote:
SNIP
Springer-you're quoting the portion that pertains to the renewal of a license, not the initial application. What's the requirement for a new applicant? I'm thinking it's 3 hours.

Duh!!!! Sorry, I thought you and Taurus was discussing renewal.

Your answer is under 28.425j for CPL requirements. If I remember correctly, the requirement is 5 + 3: 5 hours lecture plus 3 hours range time.

WARCHILD

imported post

CPL Course Requirements

Michigan]http://www.legislature.mi.gov%2Fdocuments%2F2003-2004%2Fpublicact%2Fhtm%2F2004-PA-0254.htm]Michigan Public Act 254 of 2004[/url], is very specific as to what constitutes a Basic Pistol Safety Training Class.
A bona fide class meeting the requirements of the aforementioned statute has the following characteristics:
  • The program is certified by this state or a national or state firearms training organization and provides 5 hours of instruction in, but is not limited to providing instruction in, all of the following:
    • The safe storage, use, and handling of a pistol including, but not limited to, safe storage, use, and handling to protect child safety.Ammunition knowledge, and the fundamentals of pistol shooting.Pistol shooting positions.Firearms and the law, including civil liability issues and the use of deadly force. This portion shall be taught by an attorney or an individual trained in the use of deadly force.Avoiding criminal attack and controlling a violent confrontation.All laws that apply to carrying a concealed pistol in this state.
  • The program provides at least 3 hours of instruction on a firing range and requires firing at least 30 rounds of ammunition.The program provides a certificate of completion that states the program complies with the requirements of this section and that the individual successfully completed the course, and that contains the printed name and signature of the course instructor. Not later than October 1, 2004, the certificate of completion shall contain the statement, "This course complies with section 5j of 1927 PA 372."The instructor of the course is certified by this state or a national organization to teach the 8-hour pistol safety training course described in this section.

ETA: Simply... 5hrs class....3hrs range

David in MI

imported post

3 hours-that's what I thought. Well, I most certainly did not get three hours of training in my CPL course. We were required to put 30 rounds on paper. Now, to be fair, my buddy and I are pretty good shots and it was probably pretty obvious to our instructor that we knew what we were doing. I did see him working with many of those in my class who were obviously shooting for either the first time or were newer shooters. So I would assume that they did get the three hours of required range time.....but I have no way to verify this.

My point was simply in comparing the course I took to the one my wife took at Advanced Ranges. AR was not even in the same class as the other one. Much, much better.

WARCHILD

imported post

That is where searching around for different course options pays off. I know of one course (that I no longer support) only requires (or did) 3hrs, class and 20min. range time. 4 shots, 2 shots each in a 9" paper plate @ 20ft. that's it...you passed. My concern with this guy is, when found out; will all the certificates he has passed out, how many will be challenged and/or revoked!
Hence, choose your instructor carefully.

David in MI

imported post

I hear ya. I don't want to speak for my instructor here but I can imagine that in his mind the 3-hour range requirement is something the State requires in order to ensure that those who become licensed to carry will have a modest amount of experience with a firearm.Three hours of range time is nothing if you have never shot before. So when he saw us shoot I'm sure he could discern that we were experienced shooters and that our skill levels far surpassed someone who was going to be shooting for the first time and who would leave his class with a lifetime TOTAL of 3 hours range time. In other words, our skill level already surpassed the minimum acceptable level to the State. Therefore he would most likely argue that he fulfilled the spirit of the law rather than the letter.

steve

imported post

Well I shoot regularly in the summer month's out on the property so I should be good with the 3 hrs of range time.

I'm going to call the fella in the UP and contact advanced too, thanks for the input fellas.

eastmeyers

imported post

Yooper wrote:
Mine was:

$50 - CPL class (everything included)

$0 - Gas. (my brother picked me up)

$5 - Photo

$105 - Fee turned in to the county.

Total $155

This equalls $160, lol, I wonder how many things I miss spell during this correction...

God Bless

Yooper

imported post

eastmeyers wrote:
Yooper wrote:
Mine was:

$5 - Photo

Total $155

This equalls $160, lol, I wonder how many things I miss spell during this correction...

God Bless
1..equals, not equalls.

Is it worse that I can't add, or that it took 3 days for someone to catch it?

Zukirider

imported post

Yooper wrote:
eastmeyers wrote:
Yooper wrote:
Mine was:

$5 - Photo

Total $155

God Bless
1..equals, not equalls.

Its ok your from the UP you dont need to add just be able to shoot, although you should probably be able to subtract so you know how many rounds you have left in the magizine....LOL

Yooper

imported post

Zukirider wrote:
Its ok your from the UP you dont need to add just be able to shoot, although you should probably be able to subtract so you know how many rounds you have left in the magizine....LOL
I don't need to subtract, all my pistols have this neat little feature that makes a "click" sound to let me know I ran out of ammo. Than all I have to do is slap in a new magazine and hit the slide release. ;)

Zukirider

imported post

Yooper wrote:
Zukirider wrote:
I don't need to subtract, all my pistols have this neat little feature that makes a "click" sound to let me know I ran out of ammo. Than all I have to do is slap in a new magazine and hit the slide release. ;)
HAHA:lol:

T Vance

imported post

Yooper wrote:
eastmeyers wrote:
Yooper wrote:
Mine was:

$5 - Photo

Total $155

God Bless
1..equals, not equalls.

2.. You should have wrote "I wonder I many things I miss spellED during this correction"