• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Banned from Anthrocon because I'm an open carrier

david.ross

imported post

My journal entry here: http://insane-kangaroo.livejournal.com/50595.html

This has to do with my actions outside of the con in normal life. Essentially I'm being banned by the thought police. I've never carried a firearm in the convention center, thus not broken the rules of Anthrocon.]

Let me be VERY clear,
IWAS BANNED BECAUSE I'M AN OPEN CARRIER. Kage even mentions the fact in his email stating it's not I chose to arm myself, but because the way I carry.]

Those pesky civil rights, everyone enjoys and loves them. Free speech to unreasonable search and seizure, rights given to us by our forefathers which many of us use daily. Sometimes people must defend those rights when they are infringed upon by individuals or a government entity.

Many people know I open carry my pistol in a secure holster where I may travel. However to some, who take fear in weapons for what ever reason, feel like action must be taken against those individuals who defend those rights in court. Those protected rights, which others have fought and died, have great meaning in the keystone state. Pennsylvania has a proud long standing history in which the motto is, “Virtue, Liberty, and Independence.” The state holds a record for the most NRA members compared to any other state and an extremely high ratio of permit holders to residents.

I had two negative encounters in the past with law enforcement where I was in the right to open carry my firearm. I defended myself each time where one event I was detained while the following event I was charged. On July 4[sup]th[/sup] of 2008, I was harassed by an officer of the Pittsburgh police department for merely walking around open carrying my firearm while waiting for the fireworks to start. I contacted the City of Pittsburgh's Office of Municipal Investigations after the encounter, which as a result the Pittsburgh police departments had quite a conversation about the legalities of open carry. Since then, I've not had a negative encounter with any officer in the Pittsburgh police department, they are good people with great officers. The following year however was not uneventful, the Allegheny police department harassed, violated my civil rights, and charged me with a summary offense for carrying a firearm in the unrestricted zone on airport property. I appealed to the courts and the district attorney, who said to “charge him”, conceded after reading my lawyer's brief. All charges were dismissed in the case, I successfully appealed.

In January of 2010, I received a disturbing letter from Dr. Samuel “Kage” Conway, the CEO of Athrocon, stating I my membership to Anthrocon has been revoked. At first I was confused, I emailed him asking for the reasoning behind the revocation of my membership. His email not only outlined an obtuse view about the residents of Pennsylvania, but stated I wouldn't be able to attend Anthrocon since I took a stand for civil rights. The email contained doublespeak, containing his own beliefs against firearms. Clearly he is using the position for his own political views. Dr. Conway does not like firearms, to many who may have noticed. He is using the position of CEO to further his political agenda against one of the most basic civil rights, the carry of a firearm, outside of the convention.

Pennsylvania is a state where open carry, even in an urban area, is acceptable where passersby don't concern themselves. Humans are curious fantastic beings, Some will come up and ask what type of firearm I carry out of pure fascination. Some wonder about the laws of the state and ask what type of gun they should buy. Some may even ask to use my cellphone or ask for help, as I've noticed a increase in requests when I carry. I love talking with people and don't mind others coming up asking me questions or asking for help, I encourage it.

How you can help

- Send an email toceo@anthrocon.org asking to reinstate my membership.
- Log on to FAand post a commend in support to THISTHREAD.

http://forums.furaffinity.net/showthread.php

I should note Kage mentions I tell people Pittsburgh is not a safe city, it's not. Crime happens anywhere, there is no such thing as Pleasantville. If anyone has found Pleasantville in a large city, please let me know. Ido travel outside the city of Pittsburgh, so if you'd like to see the statistics for outside of the Pittsburgh city limits, click on the PSPlink. I'm attaching links to crime reports below.

Spotcrime:http://spotcrime.com/pa/pittsburgh
Pennsylvania State Police crime reports: http://ucr.psp.state.pa.us/ibi_apps/WFServlet?IBIF_ex=RUREP01&MAPAREA=02

Statistics for 2009
See the stats on my journal: http://insane-kangaroo.livejournal.com/50595.html

Letter received by certified main stating I can't attend Anthrocon

Email exchange asking reasoning behind the revocation. Ireplied with protest against statements which were untrue. Kage's email is full of doubletalk, commonly used by politicians who justify an action based on their convictions.

Anthrocon cannot afford to be associated with an individual who is
increasingly being perceived as a concern by the local police with
whom we are trying to maintain a friendly relationship. While we
appreciate your dedication to the Constitution, you have shown a
pattern in the past of creating extreme and undue panic among
passersby. We have tried to impress upon you that Pittsburgh has a
very different culture than the one to which you are accustomed, yet
you still do not seem to understand the level of distress that you
cause when you display a firearm in a downtown business district or in
a metropolitan airport. The fact that the police were summoned on at
least two occasions to what was perceived as an imminent public danger
should be a clear signal to you that in exercising your rights, you
are at the same time disturbing the peace, causing significant trauma
to members of the public, and placing an unnecessary burden on law
enforcement.

It is clear to us from your internet postings that you disagree with
this and feel that because you have been given the right to carry a
firearm, any anxiety that you foster in doing so is somehow "their
problem" and that "they" should find a way to deal with it. We have
every reason to believe that if you continue to attend Anthrocon there
will be further such incidents, and it is our concern that one of
these incidents may eventually escalate to a level that none of us
would like to see.

We therefore have chosen not to honor your membership, which is our
right as a private organization which receives no Federal funding, and
must ask you not to attend the convention, nor to attempt to trespass
on any property under contract to Anthrocon, Inc.

Please let me stress that we have undertaken this action not because
you have exercised your right to bear arms, but rather because you
have done so in such a fashion as to create a significant amount of
distress to the public at large and to disrupt the goodwill of the
city of Pittsbugh toward Anthrocon and its attendees.

Samuel Conway, Ph.D.
Chairman & CEO
Anthrocon, Inc.

On Fri, Jan 29, 2010 at 1:27 PM, Insane Kangaroo
%20kangaroo%20[at]%20furryzone%20[dot]%20com]<insane [dot] kangaroo [at] furryzone [dot] com> wrote:
Code:
[indent]> Dear Dr. Conway,
>
> Would you please care to explain the circumstances surrounding my revocation
> of membership for Anthrocon 2010?
>
> I'm a bit confused since I only carry my firearm outside of the westin and
> convention center. If this is surrounding a rumor me carrying a firearm in
> fursuit, I can assure you it's a mere rumor.
>
> I've other business in Pittsburgh besides Anthrocon, as I did last year. I
> never stated the area where the convention center is a hot zone(criminal
> zone maps from the PGH PD Intel Dept), nor have I ever. While I've told a
> story of Roj getting mugged outside of the center, I've not used it as a
> main basis for when and where I carry my firearm.
>
> Sincerely,
> --
> Insane Kangaroo
> Phone# (412) I B FURRY
>
>

M

McX

imported post

i think their letter to you is insane..............kangaroo, they tossed you cause your blue.:D

no, realy, what a bunch of cowardly, politically correct, liberals. just the kind of treatment i would expect my local pd to pull on me. i hope you get back in, and rub their noses in it.

Dreamer

imported post

Let me get this straight...

A group of adults who dress up in "furry" cartoon character costumes don't want to be associated with an Open Carrier because they are afraid of being stigmatized as being weird or dangerous by mainstream society?

W.T.F...?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Wait...Maybe I'm reading this wrong...Let me get this straight...

A group of adults who dress up in "furry" cartoon character costumes don't want to be associated with an Open Carrier because they are afraid of being stigmatized as being weird or dangerous by mainstream society?

W...T...F...?!?!?

The world, brothers and sisters, has gone completely insane...

But Kanga, the next time I'm in Pittsburgh, I want to meet you. Anyone who is TOO WEIRD for the "furry" crowd is DEFINITELY someone I want to hang out with... ;)

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

Pretty screwed up, but I do have to chuckle over the "too weird for furries" bit myself :p

Just how did they find out you were an evil OC'r anyway?

david.ross

imported post

As a furry, I tell stories about my adventures in Pittsburgh.

Someone created a fuss over it and obviously complained to Kage.

CarryOpen

imported post

Dreamer wrote:
Let me get this straight...

W.T.F...?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Wait...Maybe I'm reading this wrong...Let me get this straight...

W...T...F...?!?!?

The world, brothers and sisters, has gone completely insane...

But Kanga, the next time I'm in Pittsburgh, I want to meet you. Anyone who is TOO WEIRD for the "furry" crowd is DEFINITELY someone I want to hang out with... ;)
This ^

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

OK, let's see if I have this straight.

Is this Anthrocon bunch one of those groups that likes to dress up like furry critters?

If so, have they had any loss of members during hunting/trapping seasons? :uhoh:

Dude, I think they may have done you a huge favor.

david.ross

imported post

Do you want the truth or the pseudo cute explanation what goes on at a furry convention? :D

While partying and stuff goes on at the convention, the majority of the people there are going in the interest to meet new friends, have fun and perhaps go on some group outings. Despite what you may have seen on CSI, it's not a bunch of fursuiters going for sex.

1245A Defender

imported post

insane.kangaroo wrote:
Do you want the truth or the pseudo cute explanation what goes on at a furry convention? :D

While partying and stuff goes on at the convention, the majority of the people there are going in the interest to meet new friends, have fun and perhaps go on some group outings. Despite what you may have seen on CSI, it's not a bunch of fursuiters going for sex.
I CANT HANDLE THE TRUTH !!!!

david.ross

imported post

1245A,
You should come to the fur con which is located in Seattle later this year. You'll get infected with cute fluffy critters and receive a bunch of hugs from strangers. :>

Sig229

imported post

insane.kangaroo wrote:
1245A,
You should come to the fur con which is located in Seattle later this year. You'll get infected with cute fluffy critters and receive a bunch of hugs from strangers. :>

"Is that your concealed carry weapon, or are you just happy to see me?"

david.ross

imported post

Sig,

funny you mention that. I actually know fursuiters who pack heat while in fursuit, and they honestly do get asked the question you stated.

:D

Sig229

imported post

insane.kangaroo wrote:
Sig,

funny you mention that. I actually know fursuiters who pack heat while in fursuit, and they honestly do get asked the question you stated.

:D
Nothing wrong with that I guess.

I just watched a documentary on Furries and let me be clear, Im not attacking your hobbie or anything....

I just kept asking myself "why?"

Im am very puzzled by it. Again, not saying its wrong or anything. You guys have the same freedoms as the trekies and the star wars fans.

I guess what I should ask is: what makes being a furrie so enjoyable for you?

david.ross

imported post

Sig,

The reasoning is different depending on the person. Some just like to use their imagination, story telling, art, role play, costuming, etc. Personally, I'd love to move somewhere in the western PA area doing IT work so I can volunteer at not for profit events and children's long term care at the hospital doing good will work.

Anyway, all the above is what it means to me. There is a sexual area of furry, but I'd prefer not to mention or go near. The majority of furries do not take it to an unhealthy level even though they use their imagination.

Sig229

imported post

insane.kangaroo wrote:
Sig,

The reasoning is different depending on the person. Some just like to use their imagination, story telling, art, role play, costuming, etc. Personally, I'd love to move somewhere in the western PA area doing IT work so I can volunteer at not for profit events and children's long term care at the hospital doing good will work.

Anyway, all the above is what it means to me. There is a sexual area of furry, but I'd prefer not to mention or go near. The majority of furries do not take it to an unhealthy level even though they use their imagination.

Thats cool. Nothing wrong with that.

So is there a large population of furry enthusiast in western PA or something?
I just moved here and have only seen a few girls walking around with the furry ears.

bohdi

imported post

Dang. I guess you don't really have any recourse other than the mass email you are requesting. If it isn't illegal to do in public, but the convention is considered private property - much like what happens during a certain republican round up here in VA, there isn't much else you can do is there?

les_aker

imported post

What is preemption like in PA? It looks like the convention center where they are meeting is owned by a public entity created by the city, the county, and the state of PA.

"The Center, which opened in 2003, is owned by the Sports and Exhibition Authority of Pittsburgh and Allegheny County and managed by SMG."

"The Sports & Exhibition Authority of Pittsburgh and Allegheny County (SEA) owns the David L. Lawrence Convention Center as well as Heinz Field, PNC Park, the Mellon Arena, the North Shore Riverfront Park and the North Shore Parking Garage. The SEA partners with the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, the City of Pittsburgh and Allegheny County, and VisitPittsburgh to make Pittsburgh a premier destination."

"The Sports & Exhibition Authority is governed by a seven member Board of Directors appointed by both the County of Allegheny and the City of Pittsburgh. The SEA existence is pursuant to the Sports and Exhibition Authority Act (16 P.S. Section 5502-A et seq.)."

If PA is similar to VA, this would appear to be a situation like the Waterfront or Richmond Coliseum.