• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Triad Gun Range

CarryOpen

imported post

I've never been to a range that required a guardian under 18, where are you running into this problem?

jp49911

imported post

CarryOpen wrote:
I've never been to a range that required a guardian under 18, where are you running into this problem?
Calibers in Greensboro requires you to be 21 to shoot without a guardian. I'm 26 but I know a 19 year old who wants to go shooting.

tekshogun

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Have you checked out Handgunners in Burlington?

http://www.handgunners.com/

I may get a membership there in addition to Calibers since Handgunners allows shotguns on their indoor range.

Anyway, I checked their website, but if I were you, call them Tuesday when they open back up (closed on Sunday and Monday) to be sure but I saw NO specific age restriction except in regards to an age range for regarding children living in a house hold.

Myrighttocarry

imported post

JDriver1.8t wrote:
^reading that website, the range sounds terrible.
$25 per hour, they do a background check on any person who plans on renting a lane, no loaded firearms in the store...
It costs over 20$ an hour to shoot at firepower now...

jp49911

imported post

Yeah handgunners doesn't sound like my kind place. What kind of pro-gun establishment doesn't allow loaded guns???

Kivuli

imported post

Your best bet for that is Uwharrie's shooting range. It's $3 for all day and you police yourself. It's not too far from the triad either. Say... 45 minutes?

tekshogun

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Well, you can't have everything.

If they're still around, check out:
Randolph Shooters Connection down in Asheboro.

1128 N. Fayetteville St 336-626-0006 is what I was able to find.

Kivuli wrote:
Your best bet for that is Uwharrie's shooting range. It's $3 for all day and you police yourself. It's not too far from the triad either. Say... 45 minutes?

I have a rifle I need to test and site in, so I may have to do this sometime soon, especially during the winter since I think less people will be out there.

CarryOpen

imported post

My post should have said over 18, sorry about that. Sounds like you guys have a lot of trouble with ranges in the western part of the state. I don't know of one in my area that charges by the hour.

tekshogun

Founder's Club Member
imported post

CarryOpen wrote:
My post should have said over 18, sorry about that. Sounds like you guys have a lot of trouble with ranges in the western part of the state. I don't know of one in my area that charges by the hour.
Well, they charge by visit or with memberships. Memberships are reasonable if you're going to want to shoot your gun more than a few times a year.

Our only real problem with ranges in the Triad area is that there are too few, indoor and and outdoor. And based on NC laws, I think getting new ones will be difficult.

Myrighttocarry

imported post

CarryOpen wrote:
I can understand charging by the hour, but over 20$ is out of the question... especially in this economy. There really aren't any cost effective ranges in the Charlotte area. Driving to Uwharrie gets expensive as well, but i'd rather spend a few hours there and notgo as much than give money to an establishment that is hurting it's customers by over charging them and making them leave their brass.

I'd love to get in more practice and spend time at the range, but charging 20$ an hour/plus keeping my brass and making me shoot in the P.O.S range when they have a brand new range is just too much.

JDriver1.8t

imported post

Are you not supposed to pick up your brass at firepower? I have done this every time I have been. I only go to firepower once every 6 months though. I must be pampered by the range at PDHSC here in raleigh, because the firepower range is close to garbage. I can barely believe (well, not really) that they think their range is worth $20 per hour. I already know that they are sticklers for the time as well.

The range fee is the same as the cost for gas, so I don't really lose anything but time by driving to Uwharrie from charlotte.

Adam H

imported post

The only problem with Uwharrie is that people leave the range full of trash it seems like. I was down there yesterday and people had left their targets all over the range. It's still one of the few choices anyone in this part of the state has.

I noticed yesterday that somone has stapled a list of the allowed targets to the tables. I guess they must be getting tired of all the idiots shooting whatever.

Myrighttocarry

imported post

JDriver1.8t wrote:
Are you not supposed to pick up your brass at firepower? I have done this every time I have been. I only go to firepower once every 6 months though. I must be pampered by the range at PDHSC here in raleigh, because the firepower range is close to garbage. I can barely believe (well, not really) that they think their range is worth $20 per hour. I already know that they are sticklers for the time as well.

The range fee is the same as the cost for gas, so I don't really lose anything but time by driving to Uwharrie from charlotte.
Good point, thats why I like Uwharrie. Except for the fact people like to trash it as stated above. You do have to pick up your brass at firepower, but they want you to put it in their bins. I used to go and take a friend that had no equipment, he was buying two targets, renting eyes and ears, and it was coming outat about 16$ for an hour a week before. I walked in by myself the next week, shot for 49 minutes and was charged over 20$. Unless they were just trying to stick it to me, I believe the cost to shoot there is just too much, and their customer service leaves a lot to be desired.

Last year if I went in the afternoon to UwharrieI usually found there were no people and little to no trash. I went recently and found lots of people and lots of trash.

I believe the popularity of Uwharrie has risen, 3$ for the whole day is hard to beat around these parts. If you see some targets left out, just leave em' by the trash can when you leave, or throw them in the dumpsters.

I usually plan on picking up trash for the last little bit while i'm there, just because it's nice to leave the range clean for others. The worst time of theyear is when the hunters are sighting in their rifles, talk about a dump...

There really isn't too much I don't like about Uwharrie, I find it my kind of range. As long as you aren't timid you should go, you are probably going to have to give a lesson or two on firearm safety to some people but other than that it's might fine.

Just watch out for the vultures, if you shot alot of brass people will be eyeing it like gold.

Edit: i just bought some steel plates so when the weather warms up if anyone is intersted we can shoot some steel.

ocgso

imported post

jp49911 wrote:
Yeah handgunners doesn't sound like my kind place. What kind of pro-gun establishment doesn't allow loaded guns???

+1 to that. I won't purchase from a gun store that has a problem with me carrying, and I won't shoot at a range that doesn't allow me to carry.

FYI, I took the CCH class from Calibers and they are anti-OC. The instructor (Kenny) said that it is not specifically illegal, but a really bad idea. You OC and you are billy bad (_|_) looking for trouble. He said that he thought it was a terrible idea and anyone who did it was just ridiculous and asking for trouble.

Funny that he said that but everyone who works there typically OCs in the shop......

That said they have never hasseled me when I OC in there, but I still didn't like an instructor saying that to a class.

Unfortunately, there aren't a lot of other ranges close to GSO.

Why not try Uhwarrie, it is outdoor, cheap, and very loose restrictions. It isa decent trip from GSO, but probably what you are looking for.

jp49911

imported post

ocgso wrote:
jp49911 wrote:

+1 to that. I won't purchase from a gun store that has a problem with me carrying, and I won't shoot at a range that doesn't allow me to carry.

FYI, I took the CCH class from Calibers and they are anti-OC. The instructor (Kenny) said that it is not specifically illegal, but a really bad idea. You OC and you are billy bad (_|_) looking for trouble. He said that he thought it was a terrible idea and anyone who did it was just ridiculous and asking for trouble.

Funny that he said that but everyone who works there typically OCs in the shop......

That said they have never hasseled me when I OC in there, but I still didn't like an instructor saying that to a class.

Unfortunately, there aren't a lot of other ranges close to GSO.

Why not try Uhwarrie, it is outdoor, cheap, and very loose restrictions. It isa decent trip from GSO, but probably what you are looking for.
Yeah I've heard about Kenny and I've had him roll his eyes at me while I was in the range lobby talking to someone else about OC. Fortunately I had a different instructor (Todd the shorter white guy). He was good. He's not a big pro-OC advocate but he respects your right to do it.

blindhog

imported post

I agree with you guys about Kenny he always seems to be looking down his nose at me. I go there some and carry openly when I come in so I guess this explains it. He just strikes me as being one of those who thinks he is better than you. As for Handgunners the problem there is it is owned and ran by an ex-policeman,they have not always been opened to the public. It seems when their revenue is low they will allow the public to use it, then when they no longer need our money they close it to the public and only allow the police to use it.

ocgso

imported post

Even if it is open to the public consistently, I am not paying that hourly fee and leaving my brass.....both of those are quick ways for a range to lose my business.....

Smith45acp

imported post

JP you or any friend of yours is always welcome to come with me out to chatham county and shoot till you can't hold the barrel up anymore!

I've got a 300 yd + rifle lane and plenty of room to shoot handguns and clay pigeons.

Shoot me a pm if you ever wanna come out one weekend. It's a little haul from Greensboro but I usually make a day out of it.