Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pizza Hut No FireArms

Post imported post

Here's the deal, as of now.

Tim Steller Arizona Daily Star | Posted: Sunday, June 20, 2010 12:00 am | Comments

The company that owns most of Southern Arizona's Pizza Huts has reversed policy and is allowing customers to carry firearms into the restaurants if they are legal possessors.

Patrick McKinney, vice president of operations for Tucson-based Pizza Hut of Arizona, said he began reconsidering the company's policy of prohibiting guns after reading a newspaper article about the state's new concealed-carry law.

That law, which goes into effect July 29, allows people 21 or older (and not prohibited from having a firearm) to carry a concealed gun without a permit.

McKinney and his staff held a meeting about the issue and began to remove the restaurants' signs banning firearms during the first week of June, he said in a written reply to questions.

The issue of customers with firearms is confronting private business owners as Arizona's gun laws become more liberal, and as gun-rights advocates press for public acceptance of carried firearms.

The issue may be particularly poignant in the case of Tucson Pizza Huts. In 1999, three employees of a Pizza Hut near the corner of East Broadway and Pantano roads were shot to death in an attempted robbery by two teens.

"We will never forget the tragedy of those murders in 1999 and what happened may have shaped our feelings about guns forever," McKinney wrote.

The new policy doesn't apply to employees, who won't be able to carry guns at work. "For safety reasons we have always had a 'no weapon' policy (while working) for all of us at Pizza Hut of Arizona," McKinney wrote.

The company has about 1,000 employees at restaurants in Southern Arizona, Yuma and Flagstaff.

Arizona law allows most adults over 21 to carry a firearm openly (It's 18... the people who write this stuff are morons) but has placed greater restrictions on carrying a gun concealed (CWP went into effect in '94). Until the new law goes into effect, a person still must have a permit to carry a concealed weapon. The exceptions to these laws are prohibited possessors such as felons whose rights have not been restored, and visitors and students from other countries.

Alcohol adds an additional complexity to Arizona's gun laws and is relevant to Pizza Hut's decision in that many of the restaurants serve alcohol. Establishments that sell alcohol must permit the concealed carry of weapons by legal possessors unless they post a state-approved sign banning them. However, a person carrying a firearm may not drink alcohol while on the premises.

Contact reporter Tim Steller at tsteller@azstarnet.com or 807-8427.

I sent Steller an e-mail correction him on the '21 open carry' error. You still need a CWP to legally carry in these places. I doubt that anybody's going to check... particularly women who'll carry in their purse. Too freakin' hot down here in thesouth to conceal anything.

Post imported post

Still though..., look out for the sign, per ARS 4-244(30)!

Post imported post

I stopped doing business with pizza hut a few years back when they fired one of theirdelivery peoplefor using a gun to protect his life when he was attacked. It's happened a few more times since then.

The impression I have about pizza hut is that they're more concerned with the image of a "safe" environment than they are about actually being one and could'nt care less about their employees.
    "Verily, I have ofton laughed at the weaklings who thought themselves good because they had no claws."
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Post imported post

Huck wrote:
    I stopped doing business with pizza hut a few years back when they fired one of theirdelivery peoplefor using a gun to protect his life when he was attacked. It's happened a few more times since then.

The impression I have about pizza hut is that they're more concerned with the image of a "safe" environment than they are about actually being one and could'nt care less about their employees.
    You've nailed it! Corporate image trumps all else but profit. They've taken a clue from Starbucks tho... 'n I do believe these corporations have mutual PR seminars to take the pulse of the consumer base. More and more... people (consumers)are carrying weapons. More an more, people are less likely to pay any attention to the 'Brady' hysteria than to the obvious needsof their own safety. Really tho... is a pizza delivery job worth your life? I'd carry anyway... as many (I suspect) do. 'Seems more businesses are conforming to state law(s) where they may have previously ignored them. Many still cling to 'No Guns' particularly when corporate HQ are in places such as Chicago, New York City 'n such where culturalhoplophobia is endemic.

Post imported post

I quit dong business with Pizza Hut many years ago when they, along with Taco Bell, became part of the Pepsico conglomerate. At that time, the board of directors of Pepsico was almost identical to the board of directors of the Brady bunch. That is why I don't buy Pepsi or FritoLay products.

Post imported post

Huck wrote:
    I stopped doing business with pizza hut a few years back when they fired one of theirĀ*delivery peopleĀ*for using a gun to protect his life when he was attacked. It's happened a few more times since then.

They aren't concerned with quality pizza either. Ordering Pizza Hut where I'm from could get you whacked. I can think of no reason to go there.
    "I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids." - General Jack D. Ripper

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

That's good that they've reversed policy. A grocery store chain in the midwest recently did the same thing. It makes for a good comeback when the Brady Bunch starts talking about Peet's Coffee and California Pizza Kitchen when they debate.

Post imported post

rpyne wrote:
    I quit dong business with Pizza Hut many years ago when they, along with Taco Bell, became part of the Pepsico conglomerate. At that time, the board of directors of Pepsico was almost identical to the board of directors of the Brady bunch. That is why I don't buy Pepsi or FritoLay products.
    id die without pepsi, but you do make alot of sense. All of these corporations are slowly but surely, disregarding our second amendment rights.

Anywhere that has a NO GUNS ALLOWED sign loses my business, for 3 main reasons.
    1. I should have the right to protect myself while eating an overpriced meal.
    2. I do not feel secure leaving my firearm inside of my vehicle.
    3. I believe these places are ANTI constitution, as the second amendment is in the constitution.

Pizza hut is no exception, they have less than quality food, and for whatever bizarre reason, dont want anyone in their establishments to be protected.
    Just my opinion, take it for what its worth.

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

>meso.40< wrote:
    rpyne wrote:
    id die without pepsi, but you do make alot of sense. All of these corporations are slowly but surely, disregarding our second amendment rights.

3. I believe these places are ANTI constitution, as the second amendment is in the constitution.

Pizza hut is no exception, they have less than quality food, and for whatever bizarre reason, dont want anyone in their establishments to be protected.
    I'm seeing more and more businesses reversing policy and allowing firearms. The initial reaction after 'guns in bars' was passed last year is normal. Now businesses are reversing that policy, just like after CCW was originally passed in the 90's.

Post imported post

Notso wrote:
    >meso.40< wrote:
    rpyne wrote:

I'm seeing more and more businesses reversing policy and allowing firearms. The initial reaction after 'guns in bars' was passed last year is normal. Now businesses are reversing that policy, just like after CCW was originally passed in the 90's.
    I have to say, That since these new gun laws have been passed here in AZ, I have seen many more of the Signs put into use.....It is very frustrating to take off my gun to pay for gas then put it back on .....and some times i dont see the signs till i am leaving the store...ooops...but no one knows i am carrying if it is concealed....very confusing.....

Founder's Club Member - Moderator Grapeshot's Avatar

Post imported post

I see more and more establishments NOT excluding the RKBA and I believe that this is primarily due to the OC movement and the follow through function that so many perform when there is a glitch. Education/familiarity is having a profound effect with municipalities, businesses and the public.

Keep working through your legislature and the court system when there is no other satisfactory means. You all drew an ace with the new no permit law which will go into effect soon - congratulations.

Yata hey
    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time.

Yata hey

Post imported post

http://www.saysuncle.com/2010/06/22/...t-carry-is-ok/

Planning an OC at the one on Fry in Sierra Vista tomorrow if the signs are indeed down. Probably 11:30 or so.
    My location says I am from Sierra Vista, AZ which is where I live now but I actually lived in MO for 26 years! So please stop telling me I don't know what I'm talking about when I post in the Missouri forum!

Post imported post

No 30.06 signs at ones in TX that I've seen or posted on http://texas3006.com/view.php#anchor3

But don't really care for their pizza, delivery time here is terrible, and they're 2-4x more expensive than a local place that makes better food.

GL AZ
    Everything posted by me should be viewed is hypothetical ONLY. And should not be viewed or understood as my opinion, a suggestion, or recommendation to or not to preform or take any action.

Quote Originally Posted by mFonz77 View Post
    http://www.saysuncle.com/2010/06/22/...t-carry-is-ok/

Planning an OC at the one on Fry in Sierra Vista tomorrow if the signs are indeed down. Probably 11:30 or so.
    How did it go?
    Haven't been a member of the NRA since 1991. Get a clue.

"One of the best things about our Republic is that we're as free to have our own opinions as we are from having the opinions of others forced upon us."

Quote Originally Posted by since9 View Post
    How did it go?
    It went well, just three of us, but the manager there (NOT bistro - no experience with them except they have good lookin' waitresses) is a good guy and likes making money for his restaurant. And when computer geeks go eating there is usually a lot of money to be made.

Quote Originally Posted by >meso.40< View Post
    rpyne wrote:
    id die without pepsi,
    Just shows a lack of good taste. I drank pepsi when I was a youngling. Then I grew up.

I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do those things to other people and I require the same of them.

Politicians should serve two terms, one in office and one in prison.(borrowed from RioKid)

City? Who wants to live in a CITY?, Nevada, USA
    Pizza Hit? Doesn't Arizona have any GOOD pizza places?

Quote Originally Posted by DVC View Post
    Pizza Hit? Doesn't Arizona have any GOOD pizza places?
    Very few. The only one I'd vouch for is La Bocca in downtown Tempe. And there was no sign on the door the last time I was there.

Seems to me unlike most of you here, I like Pizza Hut, there Super Supreme thick crust pizza is to die for, and like I have said before here in Havasu as far as restaurants go LE don`t care about OC or CC where beer or wine is concerned, as long is the restaurant don`t care. ( I would say not the case in bars, but I don`t go to them. ) Our Pizza Hut does sell beer, can`t` say about wine, I have spoke to the manager about me open carrying and was told, " we don`t care, just come and spend money here," so me and my wife eat there, sometimes by ourselves, outertimes with people from our church, ether way I open carry and never a problem. thay have told me Pizza Hut Corp. is not anti-gun and thay follow state law, I am working on them about letting there drivers carry for self defence, but that seems to be a Corp. hangup.

Well, they are public property... and I don't see how interstate commerce and discrimination could apply here.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12