• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Bay Area Open Carry NEXT MONTHLY MEETING! Vallejo 03/06/2010

brad9point0

imported post

Oh :cry: I was not aware of this meeting going on. It had been established prior that a once monthly meeting was going to occur on the first Saturday of the month and it had been collectively agreed upon this date and location.

There was no intent to take away from this event.

Gundude

imported post

You could have more than one meetup on the same day. Instead of 100 showing up for one meetup, have 50 for each, or 33 1/3 for 3 meetups, or 25 for 4 meetups.

ConditionThree

State Pioneer
imported post

I dont see what the problem is. The venues are like 60 miles apart, and the object to the meets should not be to see how many people we can get together in one place. As we have seen, mobbing one commercial location isnt necessarily beneficial.

I would be more supportive of smaller cellular groups (5-15)meeting on a more frequent basis than having 60-100 people concentrated at one location for a big blowout. I have also suggested that if you are going to have a mass event, it should be at multiple locations across a specified city- making it impossible for police to respond to (e) check everyone. If your 100 UOC'rs are spread out, the police arent going to waste time on hunting everyone down.

I also believe these meets have got to get out of the coffee shops and restaurants. It is essential that if we are to maintain the medias attention, the meets will need to have a community service aspect to it, whether it is a park trash clean up, a BBQ fundraiser, a toy drive, -- something that shows you are giving back to the community in a meaningful way.

I think its okay to have more than one meet on the same day- just as long as its not a competition for the highest attendance...

pdlumina

imported post

I agree. We need to give back to the communities that we OC in. I think trash cleanup is a great way to get good media attention. It has worked of well in many of the east coast OC groups.

AdnanShahab

imported post

I agree that there is no issue having multiple meetups on the same day, especially when the locations are as far apart as Palo Alto and Vallejo. This will allow more people to attend a meetup that is closer them.

If we do have large meetups, it is not a bad idea to meet in an area that is well free of school zones. That way, instead of being concentrated in one restaurant or coffee shop (which could lead to political pressure by anti-gun rights people to ban UOC in that establishment), people could roam around and enjoy a wide range of businesses in the area.

Sure, it's important for everyone to get together in a group, but it would also be nice to blanket an entire area with UOCers in order to help normalize the appearance of firearms in the possession of law abiding citizens. Circulating in the community will educate people a lot faster than having everyone sitting in one spot. And, at the end of the day, it more resembles how people behave in their everyday lives.

onedavetoomany

imported post

I support having both meetups. We will most likely have over 1000 people on our different e-mail lists by then. If we send out an announcement for both, we can have great turnouts in Vallejo and Palo Alto without them getting unmanageable. We don't want 200 people at either location.

Do the South Bay residents really want to drive to Vallejo anyways?

dirtykoala

imported post

SouthBayr wrote:
I drove to Walnut Creek.

It just seems that things are splitting into different groups, shouldn't we be united?

yeah, the whole "chapter" thing is ridiculous, we dont even have a centralized, organized group, and people have created area"chapters"... the bay area isnt huge, not huge enough to have its own sub-cells. i dont think our numbers are big enough to split on one meet date, but W/E.

what group-ish,united sort ofthing we did have at one point, as been thrown out the window, and is spiraling awayy quickly. we now have clubs and sub-divisions of divisions that dont actually exist.

then again, this has grown a lot since our 10-20 people meets.

tall_tree

imported post

brad9point0 wrote:
Oh :cry: I was not aware of this meeting going on. It had been established prior that a once monthly meeting was going to occur on the first Saturday of the month and it had been collectively agreed upon this date and location.

There was no intent to take away from this event.
Don't frequent the board much, eh?

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/view_user.php?id=27287&posts=1

I count 23 posts since the announcement back on January 18th. :p

ConditionThree

State Pioneer
imported post

onedavetoomany wrote:
I support having both meetups. We will most likely have over 1000 people on our different e-mail lists by then. If we send out an announcement for both, we can have great turnouts in Vallejo and Palo Alto without them getting unmanageable. We don't want 200 people at either location.

Do the South Bay residents really want to drive to Vallejo anyways?

SouthBayr wrote:

I drove to Walnut Creek.

It just seems that things are splitting into different groups, shouldn't we be united?

dirtykoala wrote:
yeah, the whole "chapter" thing is ridiculous, we dont even have a centralized, organized group, and people have created area"chapters"... the bay area isnt huge, not huge enough to have its own sub-cells. i dont think our numbers are big enough to split on one meet date, but W/E.

what group-ish,united sort ofthing we did have at one point, as been thrown out the window, and is spiraling awayy quickly. we now have clubs and sub-divisions of divisions that dont actually exist.

then again, this has grown a lot since our 10-20 people meets.

You guys are all saying the same thing. There is no organization. Its unmanagable. The groups are not united. Things have changed.

The movement has come to a stage of development beyond which we cant just throw out a meeting idea and advertize for people to join us. I think if we continue using this model, we will continue tohave groups of 50 or 60 or more show up without leadership, organization or any particular direction. The problem with this model is that it will eventually result in some publicized confrontation and potentially harmful media coverage.

The time has arrived where we should probably consolidate our efforts by formalizing some leadership structure, forming a code of conduct, and putting together a game plan to define our objectives and how we hope to accomplish them. It was my hope that an organization like the VCDL could have emerged out of this, but it appears that neither the participants here nor the existing gun rights group in California can tolerate each other long enough to unify under one banner. That doesnt mean that there couldnt be an alternative though.

Is there enough interest for a California Citizen's Defense League (Or fill in other name)?

Livermoron

imported post

Hi group,

No progress is made by getting upset over a simple mistake in scheduling a meetup.

Our "unity" in cause need not be diminished over this, especially now that Vallejo is moved to 4-3-10. :)

I encourage ALL of us to get out and UOC regularly. Not just for large meetups. The medium and large meetups should be attended as well when you can to visibly show our solidarity on th issue of 2A and our desire to also have CCW more available.

See you at Palo Alto on 3-6-10 :-D

In Unity,

Livermoron :cool:

brad9point0

imported post

Livermoron wrote:
Also - can we get this thread "deleted" soon to remove any confsion on the date(s)?

Moderator? Brad?

:)

I dont see a way to delete it but if someone knows how let me know and I shall:)

ConditionThree

State Pioneer
imported post

N6ATF wrote:

Yeah. You will notice that I was the second poster on that thread- And even then (2008), I was questioning the diversity of their support of firearms issues. Perhaps if the circumstances ever become 'just right' their ranks will open up to the entire spectrum of the 2A.

Im hard pressed to justify yet another competing 2A advocacy group- but that may be what is necessary if I grow weary of waiting for the stars of incorporation to align.

onedavetoomany

imported post

Here's my two cents: No one has the authority to reserve a specific date for an open carry meetup. If you want to organize something, do it! I think it would be a mistake to form some sort of powerless "leadership" over a behaviour that is a natural inalienable right. Our ultimate goal is to have everyone carrying on a day to day basis. Obviously, people that live near each other will become friends and want to meet for a cup of coffee while open carrying. Do they need permission to do that? No! This is a social movement. If we organize and get controlling, then it's no longer about liberty. Do you want OCDO to turn into Calguns?

Thanks Brad for neutralizing the situation by offering to cancel the Vallejo meetup. I wish others would stop complaining and recognize that they have no authority over the decisions of other individuals.

BTW, the "No Excuses" image was totally un-called for in my opinion.

SouthBayr

imported post

onedavetoomany wrote:
Here's my two cents:  No one has the authority to reserve a specific date for an open carry meetup. If you want to organize something, do it! I think it would be a mistake to form some sort of powerless "leadership" over a behaviour that is a natural inalienable right. Our ultimate goal is to have everyone carrying on a day to day basis. Obviously, people that live near each other will become friends and want to meet for a cup of coffee while open carrying. Do they need permission to do that? No! This is a social movement. If we organize and get controlling, then it's no longer about liberty. Do you want OCDO to turn into Calguns?

Thanks Brad for neutralizing the situation by offering to cancel the Vallejo meetup. I wish others would stop complaining and recognize that they have no authority over the decisions of other individuals.

BTW, the "No Excuses" image was totally un-called for in my opinion.
but what about those that want to attend both meetups?

While more meetups the better but let's double check to make sure they don't conflict with other meetups, for those that may want to attend both/all.